Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Oblivion under Ubuntu with Wine

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: Oblivion under Ubuntu with Wine

The same..

I'm getting quite desperate. The problem is, there is no info on this problem..

Iarwain

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Update:

i tried installing on Windows, and got the same error!

So it has to do something with my dvd of Oblivion..

Iarwain

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Iarwain ben-adar View Post
    Update:

i tried installing on Windows, and got the same error!

So it has to do something with my dvd of Oblivion..

Iarwain
    Very sorry for your DVD but I can't help but to laugh about the situation , are you going to return it?
    "Historically I've had a “love-hate” relationship with Apple. They love themselves and I hate them."
    - Jeremy Allison

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

The problem lies in the fact that i can't find my DVD,
    (i'm trying to install from iso)

So either way, i'm pretty *******

Btw, i checked the md5sum, and it shows no errors (or whatever k3b does)

Iarwain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

It let's you divide given tasks across threads, which leads to better parallelism. It leads to performance / feature increases in general. In Oblivion you can use more threads for animation, sound, and physics. Just read the ini it's pretty clear to me, however oblivion ini guides should provide all the details you need.

You having 1GB might mean closing your office suite, etc when you play. =)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

So it WAS a path/drive error more or less... =p

As a side note, if you check your ~/.wine/dosdevices you might notice your device links are off from time to time -- if you can't print check there. I just fixed a printer issue by fixing the lpr link heh. Well, after the OLE issue it had to be filesystem. Oblivion is pretty cheap now, and you should buy a copy. The expansion Shivering Isles is being released this week. I might pick SI up, but I need to do work. ^_^
    Last edited by Mongoose; March 13th, 2007 at 03:01 PM. Reason: "For to make the better sense."

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

UPDATE:

I tried extracting the files with unshield,
    but on "meshes.bsa" it fails..

Still running the program.

Is there any way i could try to extract it forcefully?

extracting: ./Oblivion/Data/Oblivion - Meshes.bsa
    [unshield_file_save:658] Decompression failed with code -3. bytes_to_read=12198, volume_bytes_left=470562711, volume=2
    Failed to extract file 'Oblivion - Meshes.bsa'.

Iarwain

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    It let's you divide given tasks across threads, which leads to better parallelism. It leads to performance / feature increases in general. In Oblivion you can use more threads for animation, sound, and physics. Just read the ini it's pretty clear to me, however oblivion ini guides should provide all the details you need.

You having 1GB might mean closing your office suite, etc when you play. =)
    Thank you I'll look into that. I'm running XFCE, so at least that'll help with memory I'm just reluctant to buy more of the same ram, I'm waiting for ddr2-6400 to become more affordable

Could you elaborate further on your specs? I have an E6300 @ 2562MHz with a 7950GT & 1G of DDR2-5300 @ 732MHz but amazingly I struggle with native games like Nexuiz & Quake 4

So if you think my system is up to the task, I'll splash out on a copy of Oblivion after pay day (there may even be a new version of wine by then too)

PS. '800x600' - would 1440x900 (full screen, native res.) be possible at decent frame rates?
    Last edited by ahaslam; March 13th, 2007 at 06:51 PM. Reason: PS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I run an AMD64x2, 2GB RAM, 6800GS w/ 256MB, and normally the Ubuntu packaged Wine -- currently 0.9.32. I only run GIT for debugging. I get an acceptable frame rate given my GPU 20-50fps in general, but if you play around you can get it steady over 60 if you give up some things like draw distance with this card. I turn off the water shader and grass in the game, but I crank up the draw distance on everything else higher than default. The water shader really stresses my GPU, and the grass is annoying to play in and it's a ton of geometery you can avoid rendering. I find the draw distance setting on grass very lame -- if you crank it down it's visually jarring and you can't see much waist deep in it. Play with the grass slider in a feild to see what I mean. When I played in Windows I turned grass up higher than trees to avoid the jarring visuals of seeing unnatural looking breaks in the grass / trees / terrian. For fun turn grass to notch 1 -- I like to call it The Elder Scrolls: Okami -- only the flower/grass at your feet render. How's that for jarring visuals in a photorealistic game? =)

The Wine desktop is set at 1024x764 with Oblivion fullscreen, which lets me monitor my GPU temp, debug spew, etc when playing if needed. You could run managed and have the game run windowed too I suppose, but using the Wine desktop avoids some issues with other games such as screen resolution resizing on crash. I can't say I suggest playing it fullscreen on your monitor unless you like to only see the game itself. I found when I played resolution didn't have that big an impact -- within reason.

As I posted before your results will vary. I think a 7950GT is more than enough to get good play.

Beans

Thank you, I suppose it's all about finding the compromise that works well, while still allowing you to enjoy the game. I'll have to purchase the game & start tinkering

Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast