Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Ireland goin downhill fast?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Is Ireland goin downhill fast?

Im Irish, living in the US. God how I miss home,
    However, I thought resurrecting this thread and seeing what you folks think now on this topic is timely and apt.

From where I sit, things sound pretty pretty bad over there.

Best wishes to all,

And dont eat the pork!!!

Beans

Last year I said the country was down slowly.
    I think I was right then..
    Now the economy is going down fast!

The housing bubble has burst, there is an international banking crisis, an international recession and now a food scare. While other countries have the option of bailing out their banks we are broke.
    Over the last 10 years the government kept lowering income tax but increasing spending. The shortfall was made up by the increase in stamp duty receipts from the property transactions.
    With the property crash, there is no more money coming in from this source and so the government is short of cash.

While I have huge sympathy for the parents who protested against the cuts in teachers, the parents who protested against the cervical cancer vaccine cut, the students protesting against raised registration fees, I think they need know that next year will be worse.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi eoinmadden

Interesting info, I recall hearing (when I was home in Spring) that about 2 in 5 people coming into the country as immigrants were going into the construction industry. They were building for the increase in people coming into the country,
    something did not smell right about that, and sooner or later there were going to be tears.

They say misery loves company, things are pretty bad here, stateside as well,
    lots of people hanging on by their fingernails, and unlike ireland,
    when you drop off the bottom here, it seems as if there is nothing between that and destitution,

I have to believe things will get better, and hope we are some way near the bottom of this.
    Without hope , there's no point in getting up in the morning, of course,
    as they said in the shawshank redemption, hope is a dangerous thing.

Best wishes to you all for the year to come,

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jonobr View Post
    I have to believe things will get better, and hope we are some way near the bottom of this.
    How Obamian..
    I don't mean that in a bad way. I would have voted for Hopey!

Quote Originally Posted by jonobr View Post
    Best wishes to you all for the year to come,
    You too.

Beans

Its going downhwill alright and seems to be picking up pace but we are by far not the worst off in relation to some others.Also, our leadership is a complete joke and anyone one who repeatedly votes for these idiots should hang your head, though its not like any real issues are ever discussed in the popularity contest that is politics.
    "It is one thing to show a man that he is in an error, and another to put him in possession of the truth." (John Locke)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Our Government are too stupid to keep us afloat...
    ....I saw it coming !! Seriously though, our leaders in this country, politicians & bankers et al are a joke, and now the taxpayers are going to suffer (maybe for the next 10 years or more ! )
    derby7
    ? who is Tom Bombadil ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by derby007 View Post
    ....I saw it coming !! Seriously though, our leaders in this country, politicians & bankers et al are a joke, and now the taxpayers are going to suffer (maybe for the next 10 years or more ! )
    Quote Originally Posted by derby007 View Post
    Is Ireland goin downhill fast......ave we gone past the peak.......another 350 jobs (good technical jobs) gone in Cork - Motorola. Alot of Manufacturing jobs/companies jumping ship.....foreigners in every conceivable job.......mortgages riiiiising......everything gettin more expensive.......should i sell up & move da family abroad ?
    This does not seem to be a problem just in Ireland. In the UK and US people are losing jobs on a daily basis, many things are more expensive than a few months ago and life in general is just a bit harder. As for foreigners being in many jobs, my own experience working in the UK (as a foreigner) is that there many jobs that the locals are not willing to do, or where they cannot cover all the vacancies and therefore foreigners have job opportunities or are required to prevent total collapse of certain sector. In the UK, the healthcare and IT sector seem to rely heavily of foreigners. I also agree with others that its a bit hypocritical to complain about foreigners when you are thinking of moving abroad.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

People who saw it coming: you should have told us to short bank shares! Man am I glad I wasn't cought up in that, I heard of a guy who literally had his entire life savings in Anglo and had retired just last year, whoops

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123