Thread: Nexuiz update

Beans

Nexuiz update

http://www.nexuiz.com/

Coolest thing, it will be released under the GPL with free textures, making a AWESOME freedom FPS.

From site: Nexuiz is a 3d deathmatch game that is simply first person shooting reduced to the very basics with perfect weapon balancing. With its very intense and fast gameplay, it will hook the user in. Nexuiz uses such technology as curved surfaces with its detailed maps, bumpmapping, realtime shadows, 64 player support, and an advanced model format. The Nexuiz game contains over 1000 TGA textures, 15 very detailed maps, and over 30 characters to choose from.

They just updated the site and are still accepting beta testers. I applied. If you have the time and horsepower, I would recommend helping out. Looks like the game is near completion!
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Re: Nexuiz update

This looks awesome. I am a big fan of quake 1, and I am all about GPL games, so this sounds perfect.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the update. I would love to beta test it if I could. Going to check it out now!
    Alabama LoCo

Don't just use Linux, Learn Linux please refer to Proper Documentation. http://wiki.ubuntu.com http://doc.gwos.org http://ubuntuguide.org

Beans

sweet. hope more people jump on the bandwagon. this game could be a killer title that gets more support by the mod community to make a sweet free game.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans

Been following Nexuiz for a while and I'm really glad that Vermeulen is giving some PR effort again. We should all spread the word in various forums and news sites so that as many people as possible get to know about Nexuiz.

New screens look great, hoping for the new video soon as I think the ones in the past have featured part of the soundtrack.

GPLing it completely was a decision that really made me happy. That's not happened with a project of this quality that I know of before. Hoping that we'll see it in Ubuntu soon and that it'll get a good community.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

This is going to be awesome. I'm relatively new to linux and I've been wondering why many GPL FPS's suck compared to their non-free cousins. I mean linux kicks windows @ss because it's open source so why can't an open source game kick non-free games ass too. I hope this is the one to revolutionize the gaming on linux!

Beans

The free software gaming community seems to lack artistic talent required for game creation. Meanwhile, there exist a huge number of hobbyist developers that are creating innovative high-quality modifications for proprietary games such as Half-Life 2 or Unreal Tournament 2004.

I feel that at some point the mod community will find the free engines and game developers and then we'll start seeing more of top quality games under the GPL and similar free licenses. Nexuiz might already get a couple of mod author's working and that'll be a start.

Historically I think the problem has been that even though there exist a significant number of free 3D engines (Ogre, Crystal Space, Irrlicht...) none of them are as easy to develop for as the complete proprietary games. One part of it is the game content that is already there with those engines so you don't have to replace absolutely everything from the get-go.

It'll be interesting to see whether the ET/Q3 mods will take the jump to become completely standalone when the Q3 engine gets GPLed. That would be interesting.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Observing the project. Waiting for the release (even though I prefer realistic mods, I like Quake1 and the DarkPlaces lightnings etc).

Can't wait

Beans

An awesome new trailer video was just released showing off the Nexuiz gameplay!

Looking really good, here's a direct link to download for the larger version:

Download nexlarge.avi from SourceForge

Unfortunately there are also news of some issues with the GPL licensing but we'll see...

<edit>
    And it looks like the game is going to follow real soon now . Today is the 9th anniversary of the original Quake release and might be the day of the Nexuiz release too.</edit>
    Last edited by slux; May 31st, 2005 at 11:09 AM.