Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux in Schools and Colleges

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Question Linux in Schools and Colleges

I am currently a first year student at collage and I feel that there should be more acceptance of Linux in collages across the world, Now don't take this the wrong way, but it is probably the case that most of the people on the great, vast network are over the age for schools and collages, But I'm sure that you also feel that the lack of a good Linux os can bring you down sometimes.

I mean I'm just speaking from my experience because at my collage I sometimes feel separated for my peers because I use Ubuntu and Xubuntu where as everyone else uses microsoft products. This shouldn't be the case there should be more use of Linux in schools and collages. Because it doesn't help me when there trying to teach me thing and I'm having to repress the voice inside my head that keeps telling me that this would be so much easier if you use Ubuntu.

I'm just curious, does anyone else suffer from the same problems in a educational environment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Linux in Schools and Colleges

Quote Originally Posted by ubageek View Post
    I am currently a first year student at collage and I feel that there should be more acceptance of Linux in collages across the world, Now don't take this the wrong way, but it is probably the case that most of the people on the great, vast network are over the age for schools and collages, But I'm sure that you also feel that the lack of a good Linux os can bring you down sometimes.

I mean I'm just speaking from my experience because at my collage I sometimes feel separated for my peers because I use Ubuntu and Xubuntu where as everyone else uses microsoft products. This shouldn't be the case there should be more use of Linux in schools and collages. Because it doesn't help me when there trying to teach me thing and I'm having to repress the voice inside my head that keeps telling me that this would be so much easier if you use Ubuntu.

I'm just curious, does anyone else suffer from the same problems in a educational environment.
    Yes I also suffer from this. But I get around quite well.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Indeed, I won't name the school but I attended one for one year that flat out would not support linux at all they even went so far as their website would check you and not display the page if it thought you were not running windows. Needless to say I checked in to another school the following year. Hopefully the status has changed by now this was back in 02-03.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such government [...]"
    —Declaration of Independence

Beans

My school pretty much forced the CS students to use Linux in school, but their configuration is really horrible. Very old, yet unstable versions of software (like, betas from 5 years ago). For me, it's better than nothing, and I just use the command line for everything, but other students get the wrong impression of Linux.
    But I mean no harm nor put fault
    On anyone that lives in a vault
    But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Yeah it's kind of annoying but it's also a chance to spread ubuntu (which i haven't taken advantage of).

Because it doesn't help me when there trying to teach me thing and I'm having to repress the voice inside my head that keeps telling me that this would be so much easier if you use Ubuntu.
    Stop repressing it and tell them!
    (Intel Core i7 860, 2x2GB, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L, Radeon HD 4550, Audigy2 ZS Platinum, Sonata) + Asus V6J + Lenovo IdeaPad U330
    YOU can make Kubuntu Lucid a solid distro | My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

at my college there are different departments and they differently support linux. some are more MS and some are open source & linux all the way. the web is completely writen in php and postgresql.
    most students use windows just because they can get it through MSDNAA (almost their every product)
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans

Perhaps you should transfer to MIT or UofO

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

same here, same here.

my school, hee, have no linux at all. a pure microsoft envronment. with a very active, ms student ambassador program. did i tell you the faculty subscribe to msdn. so i can get free microsoft development tools, and os. so i might actually keep vista because of it, by then i want to keep riso os, amiga, beos .........

but alienated no, i'm turned into a hard core geek among my friends. which is a good thing. because people have asked many question. thats where try to create awareness of linux comes in. but i'm not into conversion thingy, but when friends need help in running linux, i'm more than happy to help.

being the only linux guy in the faculty(of computer science), make me appreciate, things like python, ruby, perl, java, wine, and even virtualization. and i actually, appreciate what mono is doing. yes it is dangerous, but try to tell that to some ms user that think c# is the future. the best we can do is to provide a path.
    Last edited by sweemeng; January 29th, 2007 at 01:59 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

My dad tells me that a lot of colleges force people to use windows because they have programs that you MUST run on your computer before you can connect to the internet that forces you to have an anti virus/anti spyware program (or it installs one for you and scans your comp itself) to prevent virus's and malware to spread across the university network

While it has good intentions, that is kinda stupid. I would hate it if that happened to me...

and as being the only linux user in my group of friends / family is not a bad thing. I cannot count how many times i / someone in my family has had a problem, and when my dad offered to buy a program to fix whatever problem it was, i just simply say "no" and find some linux program to do it for free
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

when I went to UPB (University Pittsburgh, Bradford campus) they were a lot more linux friendly the CS department is entirely run by Linux geeks + windows haters. Their network did require a login from the web browser but it ran fine on my laptop with Ubuntu. Unfortunately being in a small rural area like this there is not a lot of CS students going there. Anyone looking for a small friendly school should really give them a look over.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such government [...]"
    —Declaration of Independence

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast