Thread: 2007-01-27 amd64 LiveCD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

2007-01-27 amd64 LiveCD

Doing regular install on one of my spare AMD64 boxes.

HW:
    Athlon64 3400+
    2GB RAM
    ATI XPress200 onboard video
    onboard eth
    onboard audio
    40GB ATA100 HD
    DVD burner

Problems:
    1)no usplash screen, just black screen with some console messages until X starts
    [quote]PCI:BIOS Bug: MCFG area at e0000000 is not E820-reserved
    PCI: Not using MMCONFIG.
    bogl_init failed: setting screen size: Cannot allocate memory
    ACPI: getting cpuindex for acpiid 0x2

[/code]
    3)I went into System->Control Panel->GNOME Partition Editor, deleted all partitions on the disk, hit Apply, it did it, said "successful" but then an error box popped up, something about "Gnome... Freedesktop...Device...HAL", I didn't write it down, I'll have to try it again to reproduce it.
    3) started install, went through the dialogs, just after I hit Install in ubuquity, the screen went blank. I switched to console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) then back (Ctrl-Alt-F7). Everything came back normal, but a new nautilus window popped up with "/target" I guess just when /target gets mounted by the installer.
    4) on shutdown, there were a bunch of debug statements from NetworkManager that scrolled by, looked like it crashed.
    5) same as 1, no usplash, but I know to close CD tray and hit Enter to reboot.

After the reboot everything is peachy except update-manager craps out (bug 81802 in Launchpad).

I really like the new Control Panel.

Beans

Re: 2007-01-27 amd64 LiveCD

20070128 (today) that i just installed successfully must have fixed the problems (but not update-manager)

Beans

I had the same problem, usplash wasn't loading. I looked into the problem and found out that the usplash theme was corrupted. To fix it. Do the following
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install usplash-theme-ubuntu --reinstall
    I hope this helps your problem.

Beans

If that fix the problem, then the next daily build should have the fix included.

Regards
    Pochu