Thread: Upgrading?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Upgrading?

I am a new user to Ubuntu 6.10 (edgy), and linux in general, and I just now found out about the Ubuntu CE, and was wondering if I were to update to the CE, how much of my current set up would be changed, as it was a bit of a pain getting Edgy to recognize my wireless NIC, and my screen resolution.

my thanks, and God bless

Beans

Re: Upgrading?

I had never heard of it. I looked at the Ubuntu CE page and it appears that it's just Ubuntu with some additional software. I'd say you would be pretty safe with this upgrade, but I'm no expert, that's for sure.
    F_M
    Sony VAIO VGN-FS742/W
    Running Dapper Drake
    Registered Linux user: # 391300

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thank you for your input, I think I'll hold out and wait for a professional's advice though... I can't afford to lose my laptop to unusability again.

God Bless

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tnthomas17 View Post
    I am a new user to Ubuntu 6.10 (edgy), and linux in general, and I just now found out about the Ubuntu CE, and was wondering if I were to update to the CE, how much of my current set up would be changed, as it was a bit of a pain getting Edgy to recognize my wireless NIC, and my screen resolution.

my thanks, and God bless
    If you plan to use the convert_me script to install Ubuntu CE to your current Ubuntu installation then you should have no problems with the items that you mentioned.

Now let me caution you that you should read all of the instructions and warnings before using the script.

You will be installing parental filtering which may require some post installation tweaking for sites that you frequent that may be blocked. The filtering is quite effective and can be easily configured with the provided GUI.

The rest of the changes are mostly the installation of packages from the repos and some cosmetic changes.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

God Bless, Jereme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Beware CE is very restrictive. I applaud you wanting CE. But CE will not let you research anything that might be offensive or objectionable. I was not able to edit CE but I'm sure you can, it may be difficult. Just a heads up. Pray for all sinners.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Papillonrus View Post
    Beware CE is very restrictive. I applaud you wanting CE. But CE will not let you research anything that might be offensive or objectionable. I was not able to edit CE but I'm sure you can, it may be difficult. Just a heads up. Pray for all sinners.
    Actually the parental blocking is quite easy to configure with the provided GUI. The next version of Ubuntu CE will also include and option to disable the filtering. For those who need that feature now they can get it here.

Jereme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I will try the convert_me script, and hopefully won't run into any problems, if i do i'll have to get on my desktop (which is still sadly a windows PC) and figure out how to fix them, anyway thank you all for your advice and input!

God Bless

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'm happy to say that the convert_me script did wonderfully well, and my laptop is now an Ubuntu CE machine thank you all so much for helping me with this.

still working on a decent avatar to use on here ;op

God Bless

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tnthomas17 View Post
    I'm happy to say that the convert_me script did wonderfully well, and my laptop is now an Ubuntu CE machine thank you all so much for helping me with this.

God Bless
    You are quite welcome. I am glad to hear that you got it going.

God Bless, Jereme