Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Howto: avoid having to reboot!

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: HOWTO: avoid having to reboot!

Quote Originally Posted by joshuapurcell
    EDIT: Speaking of the init comman mentioned above, I've always used that to change the runlevel, but recently I've read about the telinit command. I've heard that it's better to use telinit, but I can't seem to find a difference between the two commands. Anyone have a clue?
    "telinit N", where N is the runlevel to change to, is the canonical way - however "init N" works fine too (although there may be Unixes where it doesn't work).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ
    Hi All,

I'm working on a ubuntu hoary 5.04, installed as server only, via ssh command line, with no gui available, on a remote machine, that I don't want to bug the locals to reboot.

3 Questions, if I may:

1) does one _permanently_ set the default route by adding a gateway line to the /etc/networking/interfaces file? ("sudo ip route add default via" wasn't permanent after reboot, ugh, and so my ssh access from the outside external network no longer worked...)

2) /etc/init.d/networking restart drops my remote connection and doesn't bring the interfaces back up (so I have to ask the locals to reboot because I could no longer diagnose the problem). What would cause the connection to permanently drop? Could it be not having a gateway line in the interfaces file? Is there something else wrong with "network restart" in hoary? I'm I missing something else?

3) Is there a lighter way to simply "reload" the interfaces file besides "networking restart"? Would something like "if-down && if-up" be lighter and do the job (remember, I'm working through a remote ssh terminal).

Thanks!
    Pete
    Pete,

1. On my ubuntu setup I have a bridged network which the graphical utility cannot understand, so I am forced to use the /etc/network/interfaces file. To add a default gateway in this is easy.

Code:
    iface eth0 inet static 
    address 192.168.1.2 
    network 192.168.1.0 
    netmask 255.255.255.0 
    broadcast 192.168.1.255
    gateway 192.168.1.1 
    2. When restarting network from remote I have also had the problem you describe. I believe it is because when you loose connectivity, linux no longer can process the command because it looses its output.

There is a handy program called "screen" It acts like a buffer between your shell and the output display. Think of it like VNC for ssh/telnet. (You can disconnect from it and your application stays running.

This is how it works for me:
    ssh -l user somewhere.com
    # screen
    # /etc/init.d/network restart

----Disconnected----
    ssh -l user somewhere.com
    # screen -r (This re-attaches me to a running screen)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Heliode
    That's also a good one! Not recommended if you are running a server people depend upon, but great for workstation users who don't like to wait for their system to reboot!
    That's the reason for wall command:

# echo "**** off" | wall && init 1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The tweak firefox link is down. But there is another thread that does what you say... search for 'diggity' and find the firefox link. Just trust me... that is how I remembered to find it.
    Like my avatar? Help us make more and your own! http://launchpad.net/memaker
    Book of Mormon-MP3 or BOOK
    "Microsoft is open-source friendly in the same way that a butcher is friendly to a cow." -- This Guy

Beans

If you make changes to /etc/fstab you can test or implement them right away without rebooting by simply doing:
    Code:
    sudo mount

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Hotwo: avoid having to reboot!

First of all, thanks for the tips (the "HOWTO backup" is awesome).

Why both of the lines does not do the same job?
    I mean.. both of the lines should do the same thing, isnt it?

oem@ubuntu:/etc/init.d$ sudo networking restart
    sudo: networking: command not found

and this dont:
    oem@ubuntu:/etc/init.d$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

I know its a tipic roockie question, but you know...

networking is a service running.. and Bash interprets like as a command, this is why i got command not found. Right?
    But why bash does not interpret when i put all the path along with?

Thx

Beans

Networking isn't a command, but a service run at boot time. The script for it is located in /etc/init.d, and the way to restart is it
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    This kind of "command" will work for any service, by the way...as far as I know. It's handy to restart, or to stop, or start, a service sometimes as a way of troubleshooting--for example, when there's no sound. (But this evening the main trouble was that I had my headphones plugged into the wrong outlet, and it took me an hour to find out.)

The "restart" isn't a command recognized by bash but a special function associated with the scripts in init.d. With "sudo networking restart" bash interprets the word immediately after "sudo" as referring to a command--but that command doesn't exist. When a PATH follows "sudo," bash knows something special's going on: Either a command is coming up that is executed out of the directory being stated, or a special function. So there's no error message as long as either a command or a special function follows the path statement.
    Last edited by jonrkc; June 28th, 2006 at 07:27 AM.

Beans

Question Re: Hotwo: avoid having to reboot!

I have read through this thread and found the howto and follow up posts informative. I do have a question regarding performance, relating to memory.

I've noticed when I have multiple applications open, performance of course decreases somewhat because the available hardware memory is being minimized. Ok, well if I close many of these and leave a few open, will the memory being used from those programs be cleanly released back into availability?

As well, is it a good practice to periodically Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, just because, or is it only necessary after applied config or update changes?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

These do the job for me

Code:
    sudo modprobe --force ndiswrapper

sudo ifup --force eth1
    no need to unload and reload.
    linux, linux, linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

After reading this thread, somebody might have a solution for one of the reasons I reboot my hardy workstation almost once a day.

It seems like if I ever watch a video which is flash encoded then all my sound drivers are messed up except those for real player until I reboot. Totem will no longer play any sounds, nor will VLC until I restart my system. Does some body have a command line that could fix my sound issue(s) without rebooting?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast