Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: MPlayer

Beans

HOWTO: MPlayer

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/info.html

From disposable's thread http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=94

Be aware that MPlayer has no support for DVD menus, so you cannot access the additional features of your DVD with MPlayer (like Chapter / Scene selection, Languages, Sound, Zoom, Extras, etc. If you wish to have DVD Menu support, install Xine or Ogle.)

For a different version using "Sarge" codecs (more up to date) go to page 5.

Copy/Paste the code into your favourite editor, save it as mplayer.sh (Find an Attachment at bottom).
    Code:
    sudo mkdir mplyr
    cd mplyr
    # get & install Ubuntu packages
    apt-get install manpages-dev automake autoconf libtool flex bison gcc-doc g++ x-window-system-dev libgtk1.2-dev libpng12-dev -y
    #
    # get mplayer program
    wget http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/MPlayer-1.0pre5try2.tar.bz2
    #
    # get codecs
    wget http://ftp5.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/releases/codecs/essential-20041107.tar.bz2
    #
    # get fonts
    wget http://ftp5.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/releases/fonts/font-arial-iso-8859-1.tar.bz2 
    #
    # get skin (my default skin is "phony")
    # ***********************************
    # go to http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html to choose a 
    # different skin. Right Click your favourite *** [HTTP] *** skin, Copy Link Location, 
    # paste it over the following line after wget)
    wget http://ftp5.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/Skin/phony-1.1.tar.bz2 
    #
    tar -xjf MPlayer-1.0pre5try2.tar.bz2
    cd MPlayer-1.0pre5try2
    ./configure --enable-gui
    make
    make install
    #
    cd ..
    tar -xjf essential-20041107.tar.bz2
    mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/codecs
    cp essential-20041107/* /usr/local/lib/codecs/
    #
    tar -xjf font-arial-iso-8859-1.tar.bz2
    cp font-arial-iso-8859-1/font-arial-14-iso-8859-1/* /usr/local/share/mplayer/font/
    #
    # If you decide on a different skin, you'll have to change the name "phony" 
    # (after tar -xfj) to your skin file name 
    tar -xjf phony-1.1.tar.bz2
    mkdir -p /usr/local/share/mplayer/Skin/default
    # change the word "phony" with the name of your preferred skin
    cp -r phony/* /usr/local/share/mplayer/Skin/default/
    #
    cp MPlayer-1.0pre5try2/etc/* /usr/local/etc/mplayer/
    #
    # get dvd codecs
    wget http://www.las.ic.unicamp.br/pub/debian.d/debian-marillat/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/libdvdcss2_1.2.8-0.0_i386.deb
    #
    # install dvd codecs
    dpkg -i libdvdcss2_1.2.8-0.0_i386.deb 
    #
    cd ..
    # start gmplayer program
    gmplayer
    #
    exit
    Now exectute the shell script:
    Code:
    sudo sh mplayer.sh
    If you see the program start up - SUCCESS.
    Insert a DVD. Push the DVD play button (not the |> button).
    The movie should start to play. Check the sound quality. Close out the MPlayer program. The Root Terminal window will close.

To put MPlayer into your Applications Menu:
    Code:
    Applications -> Multimedia -> (go to the right pane, right click) -> Entire Menu -> Add New Item To This Menu ->
    Name: MPlayer
    Generic Name: Media Player
    Comment: The Media Player
    Command: /usr/local/bin/gmplayer

Hit the "No Icon" button

Find the "media-player-48.png" picture, select it, hit the "OK" button.
    Hit the "OK" button
    Last edited by wallijonn; February 21st, 2005 at 08:56 AM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: MPlayer

Post Clean Up:

Since we used a sudo batch (shell) script, the created mplyr directory will have the owner as root.

We need to change it back to the user.

Open a Root Terminal and issue the following command, where "usrname" is your user account name.

Code:
    chown -R usrname mplyr
    This will allow you to delete any files that need deleting through the Nautilus desktop GUI. You may not want to delete the .bz2 & .deb files, just delete the folders that were created and backup the compressed source files for future use. You could then issue commands manually, negating the need to download the files again.

Code:
    tar -xjf MPlayer-1.0pre5try2.tar.bz2
    cd MPlayer-1.0pre5try2
    ./configure --enable-gui
    make
    make install
    cd ..
    tar -xjf essential-20041107.tar.bz2
    tar -xjf font-arial-iso-8859-1.tar.bz2
    cp font-arial-iso-8859-1/font-arial-14-iso-8859-1/* /usr/local/share/mplayer/font/
    tar -xjf phony-1.1.tar.bz2
    Last edited by wallijonn; January 3rd, 2005 at 07:03 AM.

Beans

very fine HowtO

Beans

Thank Disposable, he did all the work. I'm just trying to clean up the code a little, make it almost painless by making it into a shell script.

The only hard part will be for people to be patient as it does its thing. That and their having to edit the shell script should they decide on a different player skin.
    Last edited by wallijonn; January 3rd, 2005 at 06:54 AM.

Beans

That was a great script. It executed and the MPlayer came up and played a non- commercial DVD. I put in a commercial DVD and it gave me an error.
    "Playing /media/cdrom0/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB.
    Seek failed" error.

Any idea on how to go about finding the problem. It would seem that libdvdcss2 was set up. I saved some of the output to the terminal window from the executing script.
    This is what it said when it reached the part about the libdvdcss2.

"Selecting previously deselected package libdvdcss2.
    (Reading database ... 67205 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking libdvdcss2 (from libdvdcss2_1.2.8-0.0_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up libdvdcss2 (1.2.8-0.0) ...

MPlayer 1.0pre5try2-3.3.4 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team

CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon MP/XP Thoroughbred 1667 MHz (Family: 6, Stepp ing: 0)
    Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
    CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
    Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE"

Reading config file /usr/local/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf: No such file or directo ry
    Creating config file: /home/andrei/.mplayer/config
    Reading config file /home/andrei/.mplayer/config
    [cfg] read config file: /home/andrei/.mplayer/gui.conf
    Reading config file /home/andrei/.mplayer/gui.conf: No such file or directory
    vo: X11 running at 1024x768 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0.0" => local display)
    Disabling DPMS
    Reading /home/andrei/.mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open '/home/andrei/.mplayer/cod ecs.conf': No such file or directory
    Reading /usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: 73 audio & 180 video codecs
    font: can't open file: /home/andrei/.mplayer/font/font.desc
    Font /usr/local/share/mplayer/font/font.desc loaded successfully! (206 chars)
    Using Linux hardware RTC timing (1024Hz).
    Can't open input config file /home/andrei/.mplayer/input.conf: No such file or d irectory
    Input config file /usr/local/etc/mplayer/input.conf parsed: 53 binds
    SKIN dir 1: '/home/andrei/.mplayer/Skin'
    SKIN dir 2: '/usr/local/share/mplayer/Skin'
    font: can't open file: /home/andrei/.mplayer/font/font.desc

I don't know if this gives any hints as to what may be wrong but since it works with a regular DVD and not a commercial one I would think that something may be wrong with the libdvdcss2.

I am running Warty.

Thanks for any help.

Beans

First I would try another DVD to make sure that it isn't a bad DVD.

Next you will probably want to manually re-install from another directory (see the second script), from a Root Terminal. Chances are that they did not execute because the mplyr directory was locked. Sometimes you have to log out and log back in when an application gets locked. Check every file in the mplyr directory and sub directories. Are there any emblems attached to any files? If there is then you'll need to
    Code:
    chown -R andrei mplyr
    I believe the .deb should still be in /var/cache/apt/archives. If not, download them manually and save them with all the other .bz2 and .deb packages. Then do a manual re-installation.

btw, it looks like the codecs did install correctly. It started to mess up when it tried to access your hidden mplayer folder, .mplayer.

download the codecs to the same directory where you have all the mplayer associated directories, like mplyr, then open a Root Terminal and cd over to mplyr:
    Code:
    cd MPlayer-1.0pre5try2
    ./configure --enable-gui
    make
    make install
    cd ..
    btw, you did go to your desktop, right click the dvd and "eject" after stopping MPlayer, right?
    Last edited by wallijonn; January 6th, 2005 at 06:51 AM.

Beans

Wallijonn: Thanks for the quick reply. Before I venture off to do a manual installation I would like to make sure that I understand your instructions. Following your script was a no brainer, but doing this by hand for me is not something I am experienced in doing.
    However, your instructions are very explicit and should not be hard to follow.

Firstly, I would like to answer some of the questions you raised. I did try another DVD and received the same message. The non-commercial DVD works and the two movie DVDs do not work. You also asked if I ejected the DVD from the Desktop after stopping MPlayer and I did do that when I was done trying to get it to play. There is however, some unusual behavior with MPlayer. When MPlayer is running and I insert a DVD, Nautilus brings up a window with the contents of the DVD. MPlayer does not see the DVD until I press the Eject button on the GUI and a window appears that allows me to browse to the cdrom directory and manually load the the .VOB file. The eject button on the GUI does not seem to work as one would expect. Nevertheless, I would like to try the manual reinstallation to see what will happen after a new install.

Which files in the /var/cache/apt/archives directory should I try to re-install? Are they .deb files that were listed in your script? Here are the files that are in my mplyr directory.

essential-20041107.tar.bz2 MPlayer-1.0pre5try2.tar.bz2
    font-arial-iso-8859-1.tar.bz2 phony-1.1.tar.bz2
    libdvdcss2_1.2.8-0.0_i386.deb

When I re-install I will have to use the "dpkg -i" command for the .deb files, right?. Will it install if they have already been installed? Do I need to uninstall anything first, or is there a way to force them to install over themselves?

Lastly, I hope you don't take offense to my having so many questions, but if I don't know something I can't think of anything else to do other than ask questions.

Thanks,
    Last edited by kibbea; January 6th, 2005 at 05:11 PM. Reason: misspelling

Beans

kibbea,

Okay, the first thing to do when you insert a DVD and Totem / Nautilus pops up a window listing all the files (vobs, etc.) is to close that window.

Next start up MPlayer.

No matter what the controls say on any player skin (and this goes for Xine, also), right click on the dvd player. A side menu bar should come up. Open -> Play DVD or DVD -> Open Disc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can do a google search for libdvdcss2_1.2.8-0.0_i386.deb. Once you find a site you can download it from, download it, then open a Root Terminal, change directory over to that folder, then you can dpkg -x libdvdcss2_1.2.8-0.0_i386.deb . . That period after the file name is very important. It means "to here". This will create a folder called "usr". Inside this folder will be two other folders: "lib" and "share". You will copy the contents of "lib" to "/usr/lib" and copy the contents of "share" to "/usr/share".

So, let's say you create a folder called "test" in your home directory. You down load the libdvdcss file to a certain folder. You copy or move that file to your test folder.

You then open a root terminal and:

Code:
    cd test
    dpkg -x  libdvdcss2_1.2.8-0.0_i386.deb .
    cd usr
    cd lib
    cp * /usr/lib
    cd ..
    cd share
    cd bug
    cd libdvdcss
    mkdir /usr/share/bug/libdvdcss
    cp * usr/share/bug/libdvdcss
    cd ..
    cd ..
    cd doc
    cd libdvdcss
    mkdir /usr/share/doc/libdvdcss2 
    cp * /usr/share/doc/libdvdcss2 
    cd ..
    cd ..
    cd ..
    cd ..
    exit

That is basically what dpkg -i libdvdcss2_1.2.8-0.0_i386.deb does (in the color red, above).

If you were doing it for the first ttime you would then issue the "mkdir" commands. If you were just re-installing it then you would omit the "mkdir" commands.

Quote Originally Posted by kibbea
    Will it install if they have already been installed?
    Yes

Do I need to uninstall anything first?
    No

Is there a way to force them to install over themselves?
    Root Terminal copy commands or just install them via dpkg -i.
    Last edited by wallijonn; January 6th, 2005 at 06:22 PM.

Beans

HOWTO: Adding MPlayer Skins

You can download extra skins.

Untar or unzip them. Then copy them (the whole folders and their contents) to /usr/local/share/mplayer/Skin/

When you start MPlayer, right click, "Skin browser", select your new skin, ok.

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO: MPlayer

Hi there.
    Update: I'll do a dist-upgrade and tried one more, then i get the missing files but:

It seems to be a very nice script, but i won't work for me, i can't start the (g)mplayer.

OK i fixed this problem, i reinstalled the whole Ubuntu, and this time only use the Ubuntu mirrors in source.list for needed packages and upgrades.
    The script work perfectly this time... Big thanks!

My only problem now is, that since i don't use apt-get for install, the mplayer isn't reconized as installed in the package-list when updated.
    That means, if i try too get the mplayerplug-in, apt want too install mplayer-custom too.
    I don't think this is good.
    Do i have to manuelly install mplayerplug-in too, or is there a way of telling apt about mplayer?
    Last edited by madzzoni; January 19th, 2005 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Adding mplayerplug-in.
    Best regards

/madzzoni
    #ubuntu 5.04 + 5.10 & OS X 10.4 | Ubuntuguide in danish (DK) | myBLOG | My favorit book?... is my iBook G4!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast