Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Metisse, a *useful* accelerated desktop

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Metisse, a *useful* accelerated desktop

Quote Originally Posted by Illuvator View Post
    @AgenT: Ah nice idea - that would definitely be an idea - but is that the mirror effect or the duplicate window effect - I thought you could duplicate windows with just a 'duplicate' command rather than using mirror (as that made an upside down mirror image) or would it just be make the mirror and then rotate it?
    Il
    Duplicate, not mirror. If anyone comes up with an even half decent way that mirror could be beneficial, let us know. Of course, the mirror was just to show what is possible although I do think there are plenty of other things that they could have shown instead that are actually useful.

Has anyone successfully compiled and ran the current snapshot (non svn)? It compiles fine, but always seg faults (core dump). To be more specific, Xmetisse works fine, but core dumps once metisse-start-fvwm is initiated.

I will try to use screen do debug it by leaving every process in foreground instead of the normal backgrounding. Hopefully there is more to it than:
    Code:
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
      what():  glWindow_GLX: can't open display
    STOP!
    Before you sign up to Dropbox, click here to read my post showing you how to get an additional 500mb free! That's 2.5GB of free space!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Here's a possible use for mirroring windows. The monitor is flat on a table (maybe built into the table) and is viewed from both sides of the table.
    I should mention that this wasn't my idea, it was mentioned in comments on a blog or something (I don't remember exactly)

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by AgenT View Post
    I will try to use screen do debug it by leaving every process in foreground instead of the normal backgrounding. Hopefully there is more to it than:
    Code:
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
      what():  glWindow_GLX: can't open display
    Problem solved: Xorg needs to be up and running previous to Xmetisse. However, no window manager should be loaded with Xorg. Thus best way to start Metisse is in this order: Xorg, Xmetisse, metisse-start-fvwm, fvwmi (if needed).
    STOP!
    Before you sign up to Dropbox, click here to read my post showing you how to get an additional 500mb free! That's 2.5GB of free space!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by loell View Post
    do you mean replace metacity with mettise , well , it can work, sort of,

on metisse , set it to no panel, execute nautilus and gnome-panel via terminal.
    Could you explain how to do this please? I've managed to get everything compiled, but really want it working with gnome. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Arrow Re: Metisse, a *useful* accelerated desktop

Quote Originally Posted by LKRaider View Post
    Amazing

the copy/paste thing is enough for me to REALLY want this!

cutting through windows? whoa!
    very well thought out

I wonder what are the requirements, in terms of hardware, to run it well?
    wait...

FAQ to the rescue:
    I'm running a PIII 750MHz on a Tyan motherboard, with NVidia G-Force4 video card. I ran the Live-CD with no problems - and REALLY WISH that Ubuntu would come out with this. Oh, and by the way, I tried moving to Edgy Eft and ended up downgrading to 6.06 (later upgraded to 6.10) because it was too much for my equipment. This would be a GREAT thing for older equipment, like mine.

Tyche

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Tomosaur View Post
    ... what possible use would you have for thet mirror thing?
    I make a conjecture... perhaps you need to do a business presentation to a client using your laptop... so you open up the monitor 180 degree flat, and use the mirror effect to let him sit opposite you while still being able to see what you see on your end.
    RYKEL™ | Google+ OR Skype Name: rykellim

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeuser View Post
    How is their copy and paste different from the X buffer - mark stuff then press 3rd mouse button to paste?
    Many people don't know this
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rykel View Post
    I make a conjecture... perhaps you need to do a business presentation to a client using your laptop... so you open up the monitor 180 degree flat, and use the mirror effect to let him sit opposite you while still being able to see what you see on your end.
    You can actually lay a tablet PC flat on a table, and mirroring a window can let two people sitting on opposite ends work on or view the same app.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    You can actually lay a tablet PC flat on a table, and mirroring a window can let two people sitting on opposite ends work on or view the same app.
    or you could play pong or pac-man?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Brunellus View Post
    or you could play pong or pac-man?
    Pong would be quite schizophrenic.
    Previously known as 23meg

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567