Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Metisse, a *useful* accelerated desktop

Beans

Re: Metisse, a *useful* accelerated desktop

Quote Originally Posted by Tomosaur View Post
    Beryl has the advantage of looking pretty slick, while most things have some logical utility. I mean, what possible use would you have for thet mirror thing?
    The goal of Metisse isn't about usefulness; it'd an experimental desktop designed to aid in the research and design of human interfaces. It's merely gathered enough useful features over time that Mandriva has decided to offer it as a desktop option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How is their copy and paste different from the X buffer - mark stuff then press 3rd mouse button to paste?

Honestly I fail to see the point in this, turning windows inwards just makes the text unreadable, the pager thing is nothing compared to Compiz and the Scale plugin.

This seems pointless to me.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Nice with low hardware requirements.
    Why can't technology be as simple as the box it comes in ?

VAIO X505 800g pure Debian.

Beans
    Hidden!

i think i've had my fill of all that 3d stuff. it's like sitting on a couch made out of jell-o.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

hmmm.... some of that looks very vista-ish. Not that it necessarily bad...

Beryl does everything for me!!

Cube for multiple desktops.... with Beryl I can change the speed of rotation, distance of the cube, transparency etc. If I want to, I can set it to work on a pane, just as the example here.

Fast application switching, I just hit F8 and I get Thumbnails of all my open windows right in front of me, click the one I want, and it takes me there. I can change the settings for the speed and all that also, so that I have it work exactly as I need to.

Wobbly windows... ok.. not that functional, but makes it a pleasure to work with your windows. I can still change the speed, friction, elasticity of the wobblyness if it's toooo intrusive, but I realy love it!

Double click a window Title to quickly roll it up, so I have less clutter, till I need it again. I can change the speed and animation of this also.

Soooo many themes. I change my window borders etc quite often to keep the look and feel fresh.

on Dual Monitors, I can setup Beryl to use either 1 cube over both monitors, or I can have two seperate cubes

anyway... I love Beryl. Works for me.

WW

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Tomosaur View Post
    It's ok, but I still prefer Beryl. There's nothing there that I would find particularly useful. Beryl has the advantage of looking pretty slick, while most things have some logical utility. I mean, what possible use would you have for thet mirror thing?

Export a desktop to an external monitor, use an application on the local screen and see the outcome appear on the exported duplicate window, could be one of the uses. By this you don't have to show your desktop, you can have n windows open and only the relevant shows up.

Why is everyone ditching this without even trying it? It looks like they tried to come up with useful 3d like window operations, which don't need state-of-the-art 3d acceleration...

Where is the 'choice' philosophy I remember to be one of OSS main features?
    Last edited by bsantos; January 25th, 2007 at 04:36 AM.

Beans

When and if this is actually a choice to use and easy to install via "apt-get" then I will get it. It does look cool though and probably would run fast on my computer.
    Educate men without faith and you make them clever devils
    Educate men without Linux, then yeah, the opposite happens
    Let Chakra guide the way
    U.3F

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Well, I won't switch back to GNOME, compile anything, or add any repositories just to get this, but I'd certainly try it out if it made it into regular Ubuntu repos and worked with KDE.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Arisna View Post
    Well, I won't switch back to GNOME, compile anything, or add any repositories just to get this, but I'd certainly try it out if it made it into regular Ubuntu repos and worked with KDE.
    you live in a very sheltered reality my friend.

anyways, it looks alright. I prefer the whole mac-seamlessness GUI, so far OSX has the most powerful GUI I've ever seen. so till then, I'm indifferent towards linux desktop's, cept' I do enjoy beryl (even though my laptop can't run it without xgl . . . )
    -Patrick
    let the strings lead you

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick-Ruff View Post
    you live in a very sheltered reality my friend.

anyways, it looks alright. I prefer the whole mac-seamlessness GUI, so far OSX has the most powerful GUI I've ever seen. so till then, I'm indifferent towards linux desktop's, cept' I do enjoy beryl (even though my laptop can't run it without xgl . . . )
    i agree with you mac does have the best desktop

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast