Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VMware XP image gaming on Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

VMware XP image gaming on Linux

I'm a fairly big gamer and for obvious reasons I havn't switched to Linux full time yet for that purpose.

I'm not a noob to Linux as I use it at work and at home (when not gaming).

I've a fairly beefy machine with 4Gb of PC2-6400 Corsair running on it.

What I want to know the answer to is would it be possible to run a VMware XP image and then play and run games as though on a native XP machine?

Has anyone tried it and does anyone know what the impact/drawbacks might be?

Any help appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: VMware XP image gaming on Linux

Until there is capacity for 3D rendering, you will not be able to play games unless you have them running in software mode. You will not get hardware accelerated graphics. However, for games that do not require 3D acceleration, they will run fine particularly on a system with 4GB!

Have you looked at wine and cedega? Maybe some of the titles you reguarly play have had some previous success running on linux using either of these.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

you will be able to play freecell.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unfortunately , VMware is not an answer yet. But they are working on a direct rendering version. I wouldn't hold my breath however.

In the mean time, I use wine. It's more than enough for *my* gaming needs, but your best options for games still is to boot a "Wintendo" partition (i.e., windows used only for gaming)

- trib'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks for the relies all. I've had the same answer from elsewhere and thought there would be an issue with the 3D graphics.

Ah well...guess I'll play the waiting game then

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Last I checked, there was some very preliminary DirectX support, but I never tested out how well it worked. It would be very cool if we could one day run Windows games with VMWare, though probably Wine will be advanced enough for most things by then.

A lot of it depends on if VMWare could some how take over all control of the GPU, so that the virtual computer thinks that it has a high-end graphics card. There really wouldn't be a way to emulate it, and quite frankly having a Windows XP in a virtual setting controlling the output of the video would seem very unstable to me, especially since some video drivers themselves aren't very stable.

Leech
    Wah! Wah! Life was more entertaining when I had 64KB of RAM in my computer.
    Neverwinter Nights Platinum HowTo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As of now vmware's 3D acceleration of the guest is pretty nonexistent (ok fine, it's completely nonexistent and just promises from vmware that they're gonna do it in the future).

The experimental directX you saw was a way to accelerate the host's rendering of the guest display via DirectX, which is totally unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

I know that you can use wine to run stand-alone games, but my question is how do you run MMOs and the like. If you wanted to use the multiplayer on a stand alone game on... say Starcraft, wouldnt that cause problems. Im all for wine and stuff like that but i still need info.
    E*

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Entity` View Post
    I know that you can use wine to run stand-alone games, but my question is how do you run MMOs and the like. If you wanted to use the multiplayer on a stand alone game on... say Starcraft, wouldnt that cause problems. Im all for wine and stuff like that but i still need info.
    I played Diablo 2, Starcraft, Warcraft 3 (Frozen Throne) and CS 1.5 & 1.6 over LAN perfectly on Ubuntu earlier last year.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Starcraft BattleNet I know doesn't work in Wine... that causes wine to stack dump. But as noted UDP LAN play does indeed work.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast