Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: ANNOUNCE: Jabber is now selectable as an IM contact option

Beans

Re: ANNOUNCE: Jabber is now selectable as an IM contact option

Yeah, I'd like it back too, but I'd rather get the thing where it says what OS you use, that's always interesting.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans

Forgive me for asking, Not sure what you mean by IM Option in Control Panel. I figured out how to open the control panel but i don't see anything for IM option? I'm new so

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

User CP > Edit You Details: There are boxes where you can put in your ID for ICQ Number, MSN Messenger Handle, Skype Name, AIM Screen Name, or Yahoo! Messenger Handle.

Jabber is not currently an option although it was in the old forum format.
    I asked the Lord for patience and He led me to Linux
    Linux User #470874 | Ubuntu User #22063

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar John View Post
    User CP > Edit You Details: There are boxes where you can put in your ID for ICQ Number, MSN Messenger Handle, Skype Name, AIM Screen Name, or Yahoo! Messenger Handle.

Jabber is not currently an option although it was in the old forum format.
    Well that sucks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

JABBER: ubuntuforums' preferred IM protocol
    I often see this in people signatures. Yet this forums is not even remotely in support of this. I under that the reasons for not having it selectable as an IM option. This is purely a logistical reason with a forum of this size you really do not want to go around messing with things.

But why is every thing related to IM always IRC, instead of Jabber, I am in huge favor for things to be discussed in jabber chat rooms as apposed to IRC is there a reason for this that I may not fully understand?

Does any one disagree with me or perhaps have a valid reason why not?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

at the time this topic was created, they actually had jabber as a contact option, and it would appear next to aim,msn and yahoo and all that.

but they upgraded the forum software and i guess the custom plugin they wrote broke and they havent had the time to rewrite it

also, irc is much more stable, more common, and has been battle tested to handle large amounts of people...im not sure if jabber chatrooms could do that.

but irc is also an open protocol, so its not that bad.
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    at the time this topic was created, they actually had jabber as a contact option, and it would appear next to aim,msn and yahoo and all that.
    Ye I understand this.

but they upgraded the forum software and i guess the custom plugin they wrote broke and they havent had the time to rewrite it
    Yes I understand why it not there. nor was that my point

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    also, irc is much more stable, more common, and has been battle tested to handle large amounts of people...im not sure if jabber chatrooms could do that.

but irc is also an open protocol, so its not that bad.
    So explain why your signature and others have it listed as the preferred communication means?

Also do you have proof about IRC being more stable?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Mine is mkhr.90@jabberes.org, feel free to add me =]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

irc works, when you connect to the ubuntu channel (irc.freenode.net) there are many servers that different people end up connecting to, like a freenode server in the us, another in europe.. so if one goes down the entire network doesn't go down. I believe that if your running jabber, its just on one server so if that goes down, you cant sign in. the servers at jabber.org go down a lot.....

and jabber and irc are two different things. sure they allow you to chat, but irc is more geared towards the chatrooms, while jabber is built around the individual, where you have your own buddy list, you can see the status of your friends....you only see/talk to people you have added....

irc isn't a IM...its just a collection of chat rooms, which is why they use it for support, as i bet irc does chat rooms a hell of a lot better then jabber, or any other protocol.
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

I'm not sure why this thread is still open; and to be honest, I'm not sure it's accurate any more. I don't know of any plans to reinstate Jabber, or if it's even functioning, but if the status changes I'm sure someone will post new information

In the mean time, since this thread is turning into a debate between clients, let's close it and let it die.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112