Thread: help for windows 95

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

help for windows 95

I have a dual boot system using windows 95 and edgy eft on separate hard drives. I am having problems connecting to the Internet with my windows 95 partition (edgy eft connects easily). I had done a fresh install of windows 95 after my xp drive failed and the installation disk had long since been damaged. The only options windows 95 gives for internet setup is dial up and proxy, I have charter high speed and windows 95 is not auto detecting those settings, DHCP. when I click on ie it tells me there was an unknown error and suggests restarting ie. I had tried several websites with the same results. Can anyone help with this situation?
    My motherboard is an intel santorini from gateway, and I have downloaded and instlled the drivers, however, after installing all the supplied drivers I still have a problem with the pci universal serial bus not having drivers. could this be causing the problem? also the installation disk for windows 95 only comes with ie3, could this also have something to do with not connecting to the internet?
    Also I was wondering if there was a way for my edgy installation to see my windows 95 installation and my windows to see edgy. The reson I want to do this is to attempt to operate a lexmark x2350 printer from linux via windows 95 (since their is no linux support for my lexmark x2350 printer either directly or through wine).
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Beans

Re: help for windows 95

Quote Originally Posted by joriad View Post
    I have a dual boot system using windows 95 and edgy eft on separate hard drives. I am having problems connecting to the Internet with my windows 95 partition (edgy eft connects easily). I had done a fresh install of windows 95 after my xp drive failed and the installation disk had long since been damaged. The only options windows 95 gives for internet setup is dial up and proxy, I have charter high speed and windows 95 is not auto detecting those settings, DHCP. when I click on ie it tells me there was an unknown error and suggests restarting ie. I had tried several websites with the same results. Can anyone help with this situation?
    My motherboard is an intel santorini from gateway, and I have downloaded and instlled the drivers, however, after installing all the supplied drivers I still have a problem with the pci universal serial bus not having drivers. could this be causing the problem? also the installation disk for windows 95 only comes with ie3, could this also have something to do with not connecting to the internet?
    Also I was wondering if there was a way for my edgy installation to see my windows 95 installation and my windows to see edgy. The reson I want to do this is to attempt to operate a lexmark x2350 printer from linux via windows 95 (since their is no linux support for my lexmark x2350 printer either directly or through wine).
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
    There is no networking support in Windows 95 and also that seems like way too new of a printer for Win95 to see

Beans
    Hidden!

95 computers use a sort of Pre-Parallel ports, so It isn't accepted by many distributions (Ubuntu is one) because of its lack of respect, but if you can find the drivers go ahead.

And as JDHore stated above, there wasn't much need for personal computers to run on a network back then, so there is no networking support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to copy anything I need to print to disk then restart my computer in windoes 95 then print it that way. It would be nice to be able to eliminate the need for windows altogether but it does not seem possible in my case.

Beans

you can request a windows cd from computer manufacturer-pay a small fee for it and use your existing windows key or use a windows cd with your licenced key.
    You could also contact microsoft and explain the situation and provided they can see you are licenced they may offer to send a cd rom if you pay for it

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by teaker1s View Post
    you can request a windows cd from computer manufacturer-pay a small fee for it and use your existing windows key or use a windows cd with your licenced key.
    You could also contact microsoft and explain the situation and provided they can see you are licenced they may offer to send a cd rom if you pay for it
    Good point, even though some of us talk bad about Microsoft, not all the people that work there are bad, in some ways they did help my school, before I commanded them to install Ubuntu on them, but for reasons of security.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How do you connect to the modem from Charter? If it's with a usb cable then it's not going to work because Win 95 doesn't work with usb.
    If it's via a network cable, then you need to have the correct drivers for you network interface card installed and then you'll need to add and setup tcp/ip.
    All you can do is run to the end of your leash and BARK

}:-0 Mooo

Beans

or very simply, YOU CAN STOP USING A 12 YEAR OLD OPERATING SYSTEM!

Beans
    Hidden!

Have you tried burning a Bart PE disc and seeing if you could restore your XP enviroment?