Thread: okay. I need a thorough explanation

arnieboy Guest

okay. I need a thorough explanation

The following thread was jailed:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=332242
    Matthew sent me a PM with the following content:
    We don't allow anyone to request donations in these forums and have only done so on our own behalf rarely. I moved this thread to the jail as it brings up really interesting issues like "have we started to allow people to ask for money from our users?"

I think this line in your post says you probably understand why
    Originally Posted by arnieboy
    As a matter of policy, we do not intend to ever have any kind of advertisement on our site to help raise funds.
    Please take my PM as kindly intended and gently expressed. At the same time I did find it ironically amusing that you would not intend to raise funds on your own site but that you would do so here.
    First of all, the thread never asked for donations.
    It merely said :"Automatix is accepting donations". WE NEVER ASKED ANYONE in the first post to donate.
    Second of all

Matthew chose to make a snide remark at the end of the post:
    At the same time I did find it ironically amusing that you would not intend to raise funds on your own site but that you would do so here.
    He obviously didnt bother to clarify what I meant before telling me how amused he was.
    I was referring to Google ads.
    Matthew himself has the following link in his contact information:
    http://derbyandwehttam.com/
    The above is a commercial organization (Its definitely not a charity) and has nothing to do with Ubuntu or these forums. How is that not an advertisement and in direct violation of the same rule that he mentioned?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: okay. I need a through explanation

You are permitted to have links in your contact info as well, arnieboy.

Yep, that's my business. Notice how there's nothing actually for sale on the site, though?

Saying that you are accepting donations is no different from asking for them. We both know that encouraging people to give is the ultimate intent in each case.

You have no case for a complaint.

Furthermore my remark was not snide and I very clearly expressed the intended tone of the comment.

I think it's time for you to calm down and stop being so touchy. I'm not out to get you and neither is anyone here. You however tend to push the rules and then cry "foul" when you are called on it. Chill out.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

arnieboy Guest

Re: okay. I need a thorough explanation

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    You are permitted to have links in your contact info as well, arnieboy.
    Where is that rule written? Or did you just make it up? Prove me I am wrong with a real link.

Yep, that's my business. Notice how there's nothing actually for sale on the site, though?
    Right. "We are a publishing company" says nothing about selling anything.. indeed!

Saying that you are accepting donations is no different from asking for them. We both know that encouraging people to give is the ultimate intent in each case.
    This forum has ALWAYS asked for donations. It still does. IN BOLD. ON TOP
    http://ubuntuforums.org/billspaypal.php?

You have no case for a complaint.
    You don't have a clue.

Furthermore my remark was not snide and I very clearly expressed the intended tone of the comment.
    You obviously didn't bother to check with me what I meant by "advertisements" and I clarified for you.

I think it's time for you to calm down and stop being so touchy. I'm not out to get you and neither is anyone here. You however tend to push the rules and then cry "foul" when you are called on it. Chill out.
    You are being blatantly judgemental with absolutely no premise. I will start another thread in this forum for false accusations if you push me enough.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is a consistent pattern with you. If anyone disagrees with you in any way, shape or form you attack angrily and vehemently. I'm not putting up with it anymore. For the sake of our staff and our other users you have been banned.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, both sides, please calm down and let's approach this with cool heads...

Arnieboy did raise a valid point that we do not currently have clear guidelines when it comes to the donations... While we'd love for everything here at Ubuntu to be free of financial obligations, I do have to point out that we have put up forum donation drives, Marketing has put up poster drives, and Backports (before it became official) has also accepted donations.

It may be a good idea to discuss the forum policy about donations and soliciting money at the next Forum Council meeting, so Arnieboy, feel free to make a case on the FC Agenda about it.

Until then, if the other Administrators agree with me on this one, I'd like to restore full access rights to Arnieboy on the condition that for now he holds off on soliciting any donations at ubuntuforums until a decision is reached.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

I support Matthew in this situation. Any appeal can be brought up at a FC meeting if you are not happy. We have a structure here it needs to be followed.
    Last edited by ubuntu-geek; January 20th, 2007 at 12:00 AM.
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Arnieboy, for now your ban for disrespectful attitude towards staff member(s) remains in effect. If you would like to appeal this, please place it on the FC agenda and attend the next FC meeting.
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Arnieboy's account information has been removed by his request.