Page 50 of 104 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans

Angry Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Have followed all of the methods on the first page of this thread, and it seems like I'm almost there, but I've been almost there for several days now.

I've gotten to the point where I can run the configurator OK, but it gets to the port selection page, and I don't know which USB port to choose. I have chosen several (most recently mfp4) and then continue on. I then run the "test". It says "driver found", but then "can't find devices on mfp:/dev/mfp4".

I then ran the Ubuntu printer app (under System-Admin) and went to the troubleshooter. It gave:

"printer "scx4x21" not owned by root" and "Printer 'scx4x21': none

Under lpr.log:
    :add /devices/platform/parport_pc.888/printer/lp0
    :Failed to get parent

Any help greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Quote Originally Posted by okkadiroglu View Post
    Hi,

I am having a major problem with my AMD64 computer, operating with Ubuntu 10.4, and Samsung clx-2160 printer/scanner. Before a major update in the beginning of June everything was working. Now when I turn the printer on I read a flashing error message on the screen of the printer saying "USB_CtrlEP.c 72 IDLE" and "Internal Error Power Off/On" The reply to lsusb command is "Bus 001 Device 019: ID 04e8:3425 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd" Even though I have Samsung Unified Driver Configurator installed and with CUPS I can not get a test page out. When I try the printer with a Compaq nx6110, again operating with Ubuntu 10.6, the printer works without a problem but scanner produces three parallel images of a single scanned image. I use the valuable information provided in http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/index.html I have taken the printer to two certified repair shops and both proved that there is nothing wrong with the printer. I use a webcam and two large external hard disk on the same usb ports and they work without problems.

What is going on and how can I print and scan with clx-2160 connected to AMD64 computer running on Ubuntu 10.6?

Many thanks

Hi,

After having extensive correspondence with Samsung (Turkey and Korea) I obtained the new drivers that are not open to distribution yet. I tried it with a 32 bit computer operating with Ubuntu 10.4 and it worked with out any problem. I got a test page out as well as scanned a page correctly. But with 64 bit computer, even the new drivers do not work properly. I still get the same errors as I mentioned in the quote.

http://hotfile.com/dl/69472725/f928b...02.tar.gz.html

http://hotfile.com/dl/69473256/cb398...02.tar.gz.html

http://hotfile.com/dl/69474136/c82bd...02.tar.gz.html

are the links for the new unpublished drivers. If you like please try them and tell me your experience so that I can transfer them to Samsung. I would be very pleased if tweedledee could comment on them. Samsung is eager to know what is going on and would like to have a feedback.

Best Regards

Beans

Network scanning in Ubuntu 10.04 (32 bit)

Downloaded and installed the Latest Unified Driver (as posted by okkadiroglu) on a clean 32 bit Ubuntu 10.04.1 installation.

However the outcome is the same.

Using a scx-4500 wireless printer both printing and scanning are immediately available by USB.

Trying to scan over the network using xsane produces the following error message.

netdiscovery: relocation error: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libnss_files.so.2: symbol strcmp, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
    netdiscovery: relocation error: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libnss_files.so.2: symbol strcmp, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference.

The “fix” posted by Rutgerhendriks worked for me, even though I still get an error message from xsane

netdiscovery: relocation error: /lib/libnss_mdns4_minimal_so.2: symbol strcmp, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

I also noticed that as the Samsung GUI installation completes it generates an infinite number of “Opening File Manager” which appear on the status bar and nautilus has to be killed (or a restart cures the problem).

Beans

Re: AMD64 and Samsung Driver Problem

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    To everyone who has reported problems with Ubuntu 10.04 and AMD64 systems:

The problem is definitely a conflict with the new (2.11) eglibc. As this is a rather essential core library, work-arounds for this are not going to be easy. If you are having trouble printing or scanning and need a working printer/scanner in the near future, your best bet is to switch to a earlier version of the library (Debian Stable, Ubuntu 9.10 or earlier) or switch to a 32-bit install (which seems to be working). You MIGHT also have success using a virtual machine (VMWare, Virtualbox) to install a 32-bit version of Ubuntu 10.04 and use that for your printing/scanning needs, but I've not tested this.
    Do the new beta drivers posted by okkadiroglu (http://hotfile.com/dl/69474136/c82bd...02.tar.gz.html, etc) solve this problem? I'm using a CLX-3175 over a network which worked fine with the old Samsung drivers before the OS update. After the update, I couldn't print though scanning worked. If the new drivers solve the printing problem, I'd love to update my operating system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by okkadiroglu View Post
    If you like please try them and tell me your experience so that I can transfer them to Samsung. I would be very pleased if tweedledee could comment on them. Samsung is eager to know what is going on and would like to have a feedback.
    I'm completely swamped at work and don't have time to deal with this properly now. However, I did download the beta driver and at least looked at the file structure, and it looks essentially unchanged. Since they are still packing libstdc++5 and some other old libraries, I can't imagine they've updated enough of the core to begin to address the issue here, which is that the Samsung driver seems to be relying on fundamental linux libraries that were old years ago, and simply no longer reflect a modern linux distribution. I've no idea what system Samsung is using for development and testing, but it needs an update. Not even Red Hat enterprise, which makes Debian releases look speedy, has shipped that library in years.

Beans

hi there,

I'm having a problem I don't see documented anywhere else in this thread. I recently bought a Samsung ML-2851ND monochrome laser printer. I downloaded the Universal Print Driver from the Samsung web site. (It's the latest version. I've grepped through the entire directory structure, and don't find a version number anywhere.) I'm using the latest version of Ubuntu.

Cut to the chase: printer works fine. Total control over the options. Only one problem. As soon as I print, my gnome-panel goes crazy. You know the gutter bar that shows you which programs are currently in use? It explodes with hundreds, thousands of little squares. I kill-all gnome-panel, but it comes right back. I can't figure out what process is causing this, and it's driving me crazy.

any idea?

thanks
    foo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yahs View Post
    Since my last post, I have acquired a scx-4500w so I can now make a contribution to the current topic of network scanning. Hope this isn't too long!
    The computer I use for testing is a Pentium D 2.8 Dual Core PC, so I use the 32-bit version. To satisfy my own curiosity I first installed a copy of Ubuntu 8.04 on a 160 GB hard disk and both scanning and printing worked perfectly.

Next I cleaned the hard drive and installed a fresh copy of Ubuntu 10.04 with both USB and network cables attached.
    No printer found but System, Admin, Printing, Add Printer finds the scx-4500w and offers the driver scx 4500 using SpliX V 2.0.0. This is fine for printing but doesn't provide scanning. So it is easier to download the Unified driver and run the installer.

The Samsung Unified Driver sees both printer and scanner as long as USB cable attached, but removing the USB cable produces the following error message, when I execute xscan in a terminal.

netdiscovery: relocation error: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libnss_files.so.2: symbol strcmp, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

Next I installed Maverick 10.10 alpha 2 alongside Ubuntu 10.04 and repeated the above procedure with the same results except for a different error message as follows

netdiscovery: ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/getpagesize.c:32: __getpagesize: Assertion `_rtld_global_ro._dl_pagesize != 0' failed.
    Aborted
    netdiscovery: ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/getpagesize.c:32: __getpagesize: Assertion `_rtld_global_ro._dl_pagesize != 0' failed.
    Aborted
    Aborted

With both Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 I tried the suggestion of altering the file xerox_mfp.conf but it makes no difference to the results I get.
    Please let me know if you have solved the problem. I also have a Samsung SCX-4500W and can make the printer work on Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS, but not the scanner.

Beans

I have had a similar problem while I have been experimenting with some installations of Ubuntu 10.04.(32 bit) and a Samsung SCX-4500W.
    If I use the download file from Samsung (3.00.65), it gets to about 96/97% then pauses to set up the configurator. At this point an infinite number of "Open file manager" icons appear on the status bar at the bottom of the screen. If this is what you are getting you need to kill nautilus (or reboot). I am pretty certain that Ubuntu 10.04.1 doesn't have this problem or better still when I use the files from the repository provided by Tweedledee I don't see this happening.

Beans

Thoughts on Network scanning in Ubuntu 10.04 (32 bit)

Using a scx-4500 wireless printer and installing the Samsung Unified Driver (v 3.00.65) both printing and scanning are immediately available by USB and work correctly.

However, as has been posted, trying to scan over the network is not available without some sort of fix. In his last post Tweedledee stated that there are fundamental issues with the Samsung Drivers and the (e)glibc package which is an ongoing problem.

I have been experimenting (clean install after each experiment) which some of the suggestions as follows.

The following relevant files are installed by Ubuntu 10.04.1. in the following directories.

libnss_files-2.11.1.so /lib (shared library)
    libnss_files.so.2 /lib (link to shared library)
    libnss_files-2.11.1.so /lib/tls/i686/cmov (shared library)
    libnss_files.so.2 /lib/tls/i686/cmov (link to shared library)
    libnss_files.so /lib (link to shared library)

I followed up the post by Ftoral who deleted the libnss_files.so.2.

I deleted /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libnss_files.so.2 as my error message when trying to scan using xsane from a terminal is

netdiscovery: relocation error: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libnss_files.so.2: symbol strcmp, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference.

xsane now reported a different error

netdiscovery: relocation error: /lib/libnss_mdns4_minimal_so.2: symbol strcmp, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

but I was able to scan and the scanner appears in the Samsung Configurator with the IP address.

I continued deleting the error files until eventually I had to reboot and reinstall.

Initially the post by Rutgerhendriks worked for me. I renamed /lib/libnss_files.so.2 libnss_files.so.2.old and created a link ln –s /lib/libnss_files.so.2.

The scanner appears in the configurator, Xsane runs and scans (still with an error message), simple-scan works and I can scan from OpenOffice and Picassa.

However all of the above is not consistent; for instance I can rename or remove /lib/libnss_files.so.2 but it reappears after reboot or after latest upgrade. This then prevents scanner from working until I do some renaming or deleting of the above mentioned files. Also I think the file /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libnss_files.so.2 has to be removed irrespective of the file /lib/libnss_files.so.2

I don't really use the feature of scanning over a network so it's not really a big issue for me, but it would be nice to get it working properly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just to record the event and for future searches, yesterday I was able to make my Samsung SCX-3200 work properly.

My Linux box is an Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS (Lucid Lynx), 64 bits. The multifunction printer is a Samsung SCX-3200, a black and white laser printer with scanner. What I did, in summary:

1. I downloaded the official Samsung Unified Driver from this page, the version of the driver is 3.00.71;
    2. I installed the Samsung drivers accurately following the steps in the Samsung manual, here (see the chapter "Getting started", section "Supplied software");
    3. following the post 431 in this thread by ezekiel_quacks, but customizing it for my printer, I added in /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf these two lines:
      Code:
      # Samsung SCX-3200
      usb 0x04e8 0x3441
      and in /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules these two lines:

Code:
      # Samsung SCX-3200
      ATTRS{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3441", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

That's all, printer and scanner work smoothly.

Page 50 of 104 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast