Page 10 of 104 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Quote Originally Posted by mamat View Post
    hi,

i have a Samsung ML-1610 (simple one-sided usb laser printer with no scanner) which i once got working fine under ubuntu 6.06.

i have just upgraded to 7.10 and printing quit working.

i tried reinstalling samsung's latest driver which didn't work as is. printing test sheet adds it to lpq and printer is "ready and printing" but then it goes back to just "ready" and the print job seems to have been indefinitely put aside.

if i use cups to change the uri from "mfp:/dev/mfp4" to "usb://Samsung/ML-1610", i have pages coming out of the printer. unfortunately the pages come out very slowly (pauses a few seconds in between every pages instead of spitting them out quite fast like it used to).

i REALLY do need to be able to print many pages faster than it is doing at the moment.

does someone have the same problem? any clue as to what i could try? is it due to using "usb" instead of "mfp" uri? is it due to newer cups or newer driver?

PS: i've also tried foomatic. the quality of the printout is however much better with samsung's driver. (dithering of grays doesn't work great with foomatic)
    I'm also struggling a bit with my printer (CLP-550) with the newer drivers. Some documents simply vanish and do not print. I've found that if I configure the printer using a similar driver (e.g., for me the CLP-500), I can get difficult documents to print, albiet not quite as quickly as normal and with slightly off color. You may have some luck if you play around in a similar fashion. Right now I actually have two "printers" set up for my single physical printer; sometimes one works better, and sometimes the other. Samsung isn't admitting to any significant changes to the drivers in nearly a year (just the installer scripts), so it's either an undocumented change or something to do with the newer files in Gutsy.

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver (ML-2571N)

Quote Originally Posted by jamb View Post
    I added an alternative howto post (and this is windows free) for the ML-2571N, this may be useful to link to?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...77#post4086777

Big thanks for gathering all this information.
    Agreed, I added the link to the notes for that printer.

Beans

hi,

i have a Samsung ML-1610 (simple one-sided usb laser printer with no scanner) which i once got working fine under ubuntu 6.06.

i have just upgraded to 7.10 and printing quit working.

i tried reinstalling samsung's latest driver which didn't work as is. printing test sheet adds it to lpq and printer is "ready and printing" but then it goes back to just "ready" and the print job seems to have been indefinitely put aside.

if i use cups to change the uri from "mfp:/dev/mfp4" to "usb://Samsung/ML-1610", i have pages coming out of the printer. unfortunately the pages come out very slowly (pauses a few seconds in between every pages instead of spitting them out quite fast like it used to).

i REALLY do need to be able to print many pages faster than it is doing at the moment.

does someone have the same problem? any clue as to what i could try? is it due to using "usb" instead of "mfp" uri? is it due to newer cups or newer driver?

PS: i've also tried foomatic. the quality of the printout is however much better with samsung's driver. (dithering of grays doesn't work great with foomatic)
    i just discovered in my /var/log/cups/error_log that the bug with samsung's default "mfp" driver gives a "crashed on signal 11!" error.

Beans

i just discovered in my /var/log/cups/error_log that the bug with samsung's default "mfp" driver gives a "crashed on signal 11!" error.
    Based on what I can see regarding this error, you have two reasonable options: waiting until Samsung releases an updated driver, or trying a different printer model. You might be able to trace down which parrticular library is causing the conflict, but even then you may not be able to address the problem. Assuming you're willing to risk the loss of a little paper and toner, playing with related printer models to find one that works well is pretty easy.

EDIT: You may always want to try uninstalling the old driver completely, then reinstalling, just to see if something within Samsung's set of files is conflicting. It's also possible, although unlikely, that the problem is apparmor; you can test this by using
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor stop
    to temporarily disable apparmor, then see if you can print. If it does not help, then you should restart apparmor with
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor start
    If it does help, permanently switch off apparmor for cups using
    Code:
    sudo aa-complain cups
    Last edited by tweedledee; January 9th, 2008 at 02:27 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    [...]
    Printers with reported success:
    [...]
    Good luck, and let me know if you have success and/or failure, and I'll try to modify accordingly.
    Hi, tweedledee and thank you for your Howto

I'm going to buy Samsung CLX-3160FN (color laser All-in-one).
    Have you received a succes or non-success report for this model?

I was discussing this issue with another Ubuntu user and finally,
    I have been directed to you

Thanks in advance and
    BestRegards~~Piotrek~~pe3no.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pe3no View Post
    Hi, tweedledee and thank you for your Howto

I'm going to buy Samsung CLX-3160FN (color laser All-in-one).
    Have you received a succes or non-success report for this model?

I was discussing this issue with another Ubuntu user and finally,
    I have been directed to you

Thanks in advance and
    BestRegards~~Piotrek~~pe3no.
    I am not aware of any reports either way for this printer. Looking at openprinting.org and the printer specs, I'm almost certain it should work fine as a printer, and it will probably work without hassle with the other functions, or at least no more hassle than for some of the other multifunction printers discussed in this thread. You seem to have found the other threads in the forums that discuss it, but as they haven't posted in this thread I've not been following the progress at all. You'll be taking a bit of a gamble with this printer (all Samsung printers, unfortunately) versus an HP, but if you're willing to risk spending some time getting it to work, you'll probably manage.

Beans

I've run into some weird gui problem when trying to install the drivers. The gui window comes up, but will randomly lockup after hitting next. Occasionally it will launch a 2nd window, but that will be blank as well. I tried changing the /bin/sh to /bin/bash on the install.sh, but that does nothing. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out how to force a text mode install via ctrl-alt-F1. My scx-4100 is working now. I have yet to try the scanner.
    Last edited by luke16; January 21st, 2008 at 03:43 AM.

Beans

CLP-300 installed fine and prints, but....

The "new" Dec 2007 drivers worked perfectly for me following tweedledee's clear instructions at the top of this thread using Ubuntu7.04 for our CLP-300 color laser printer.

The GUI installer set everything up, automatically found the printer and printed a test page. I then did a quick copy of a page using Xsane and all seemed well.

But I've two problems now. First, Xsane seems to have stopped working, I get the "scanning devices" popup window, it goes away and then nothing. Second and more important problem is printing pages it seems black text is blurry almost like its tryig to force bold print, color text is very sharp. Basicaly the black text is not "laser quality" more like an inferiour inkjet, while color parts of a web page look fine. A quick print of a color photo looked decent, and probably only needs a gamma adjustment to match what I get with our Dell color laser at work -- although nobody buys color lasers for their photo output.

Any settings I don't know about to address this? or did I get a defective printer?

Any idea as to why Xsane worked once and then stopped? I did uninstall the Epson printer it had been using after the initial test scan and exit of Xsane.

--wally.
    Last edited by wkulecz; January 30th, 2008 at 05:04 PM.
    Your commitment to Freedom is measured by your tolerence for others doing things you disapprove.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Have just spent a little while trying to get the Samsung Installer Script to work with Ubuntu 7.10. Turns out that they dont anticipate the install directory having spaces in the file name. If you rename all folders in the path to single words (no space chars) it works fine for me. Either that or modify the script.

George

Beans

I just successfully setup my CLX-3160FN the only thing which caused some trouble when I used the unified driver installer was that the GUI was not visible... it would draw the frame, but it was blank.

I turned off beryl and re-ran the installer, and it worked great... I'm not sure why but some programs do this with beryl.

Page 10 of 104 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast