Page 11 of 104 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO not let SANE drive you IN-SANE

I have a problem with the Samsung Configurator as it sees my TV tuner card and not the scanner in my multifunction device - Samsung 4521F.

I followed the instructions given below but I still can't get the scanning part of the device to work. In fact when I tried to follow step 3, it broke my webcam.

Is there any hope of getting my Samsung 4521F to scan?

BTW I'm using Gutsy and didn't notice until now that these steps were for Fiesty.

Quote Originally Posted by roxy99 View Post
    Success ! Fiesty Fawn with Samsung 4521F.

Here's how I did it:

1) Follow link to Samsung driver pagehttp://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...111&prd_ia_cd=

Notice that at the bottom of the driver download page is Ubuntu instructions. Follow those instrutions. Funny how Samsung seems to be supporting Ubuntu now, even though you still need to jump thru hoops to get the scanner to work. Printing is basically plug and play with the USB setup. Scanning is the problem

To set up scanning:

2) Follow http://www.elijahlofgren.com/ubuntu/#scx-4521f. Only follow steps 13-17 to get the Scanner to work.

3) Download hacked libmfp.so.1.0.1 driver for for versions 2.00.95 and 2.00.97 at this site:
    http://jacobo.tarrio.org/Samsung_SCX-4200_on_Debian

NB- This hack disables your lpt1 port which conlicts with the USB detection of the scanner. Hopefully you won't need the parallel port for anything since it will no longer work.

You do not need to bother with adding yourself as a user to the lp group since you took care of that in step 2.
    Reboot the system and scanning should work

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

I have tried this procedure in 7.10 Gusty and 8.04 Hardy without success.
    The scanner doesn't work.

Beans

As Samsung has not made a significant update to their driver in nearly a year, you may want to simply contact them (http://www.samsung.com/us/info/contactus.html). I don't know if they will repsond or take action, but if multiple people are experiencing this, and the driver worked (even with hacks) in prior versions of Ubuntu, they may be willing to update the driver.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks tweedledee. I'll do that.

Beans
    Distro

I did contact Samsung just now but had to use the following URL because I'm in Canada.
    http://www.samsung.com/ca/info/contactus.html#

Beans
    Distro

I thought that I'd let everyone know who may be following this thread that Samsung has decided that they do not support Linux. According to the Linux Counter there are only about 29 million Linux users in the world so that's a number of people to not provide service to.

Here is a message that I received in response to my asking them for assistance getting the scanner working in my SCX-4521F.

>> Sorry but we do not support Linux, please try your OS' forums.

I guess we're better off supporting HP in our future purchases of printers, scanners and perhaps even multifunction devices.

Does anybody know, in this age of multifunction devices, whether HP multifunction devices work with Linux and in particular Ubuntu?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by demarshall View Post
    I thought that I'd let everyone know who may be following this thread that Samsung has decided that they do not support Linux. According to the Linux Counter there are only about 29 million Linux users in the world so that's a number of people to not provide service to.

Here is a message that I received in response to my asking them for assistance getting the scanner working in my SCX-4521F.

>> Sorry but we do not support Linux, please try your OS' forums.

I guess we're better off supporting HP in our future purchases of printers, scanners and perhaps even multifunction devices.

Does anybody know, in this age of multifunction devices, whether HP multifunction devices work with Linux and in particular Ubuntu?
    Fascinating, although that perhaps explains why the two or three reports I've sent them have been entirely ignored. HPLIP was specifically designed by HP to support Linux printing (and multifunction) and ships with Ubuntu by default, and although I've not tried a multifunction printer, the HP printers I have set up for various work machines have been a breeze compared to Samsung. In all fairness to Samsung, some of the other printers I've worked with (e.g., Xerox/Tektronix) have required significantly more effort.

Beans

Clx-2160n

Samsung are now listing a driver with a build date of 2008-03 (although the archive name is 200707... )

It installed fine on my desktop (after editing the scripts to run from bash). The smart panel app works fine and even lists the toner levels, even if that's strictly unnecessary because you can get them from printers web server. I've not yet checked out the suid bit issues.

I had enormous trouble installing the driver on my laptop, but I think some unrelated problem was the cause ; the GUI installer got wedged, my printer config panel continually prompted me for sudo passwords, and nothing worked.

I reinstalled Gutsy in the end... whatever was wrong with my printer subsystem was stubborn.

I also installed the foo2qpdl drivers, which also work fine (for my model).
    http://foo2qpdl.rkkda.com/

In addition, I got the networked scanning working. Start the perl script running as detailed, walk up to the printer, push "Scan to.." and follow the prompts to scan to the target.
    http://www.jon.demon.co.uk/dell1600n-net-scan/

Beans

Re: Clx-2160n

Quote Originally Posted by awilkins View Post
    Samsung are now listing a driver with a build date of 2008-03 (although the archive name is 200707... )
    Odd. I still the build dated November. Even stranger is that is is not the same build I have previously downloaded, even though it has the same date, and it appears to actually be the July build based on file dates. I'm not real sure what Samsung is doing at the moment.

Beans

Re: Clx-2160n

Quote Originally Posted by awilkins View Post

It installed fine on my desktop (after editing the scripts to run from bash). The smart panel app works fine and even lists the toner levels, even if that's strictly unnecessary because you can get them from printers web server. I've not yet checked out the suid bit issues
    My CLP-300N does not show toner levels on it's web interface. I wish it did. I have it connected network-only and the smartpanel does not work unless I connect a USB cable.
    Dell Zino HD, AMD Neo X2 e6850, 8GB, 750GB, ATI HD4330 in MXM slot.

Page 11 of 104 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast