Page 99 of 104 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans

Question Re: Upgrade breaks scanning CLX-3185FW, Ubuntu Lucid

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    I would be interested in the results of force-installing just the old -network package and changing nothing else; ... Or equivalently to force-installing, extracting the netdiscovery file from the old package and dropping it into /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/ in place of the newer file would work as a test
    I did it by extracting the netdiscovery file (3.00.90's MD5SUM: b16e68ab9bd40788962226ba9dbf0245, and for completeness 4.00.35's MD5SUM: 68d0a32771207333a61099a133cef0ce) and replacing the file, but it didn't work (same symptom persists).

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    However, if changing that single package doesn't help, uninstall all the samsungmfp packages, put all the packages you want installed into a single folder (without any other .debs, anything else is okay), then "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" in a terminal when inside that folder; that will restore all the 3.00.90-2 versions.
    I'm willing to bet that it's something to do with the /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/smfpscan file. So what I'll do is to replace that file next, with the 3.00.90 version, then replace other files until I reach the state I would do with a complete 3.00.90 install. That way I'll know how many files I've replaced when it starts working.

I've got all the {amd64,all}.deb files on board, but it's a bit late now, so I'll resume tomorrow.
    Nick Bishop
    -----
    email replies ignored
    -----
    Actions speak louder than words. Screaming is an action.
    -oOo-

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Maybe I can ofer some additional informations to this theme i test now several days my clp 620ND.
    I try different ways...
    first i use the standart printer menu
    i get 3 error messages
    paper jam (there is no paper jam)
    ipp-conformance-error
    ipp-missing-job history
    and printer does nothink

2.i try to install the Samsung Unified Printer Driver from Source
    works but i wasn't able to add a printer

3. Then i test Fedora using the first way and again the same error messages, but the funny think about this, that fedora prints it anyway (using cups 1.5.2)

4. i find this repo and try this now i was able to add the printer fine
    but booth ofered drivers doesn't print
    the errors ipp-conformance-error ipp-missing-job history stays but no paperjam anymore

tell me if there are some ideas to solve this

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Togras View Post
    ipp-conformance-error
    ipp-missing-job history
    I don't think these matter. I have recently started getting ipp-<various things> errors when I work with my printer settings (Samsung and otherwise), but they don't seem to have any effect. Something to do with a CUPS change.

Quote Originally Posted by Togras View Post
    4. i find this repo and try this now i was able to add the printer fine
    but booth ofered drivers doesn't print
    the errors ipp-conformance-error ipp-missing-job history stays but no paperjam anymore

tell me if there are some ideas to solve this
    How is your printer connected? If by network, try a different protocol (raw or lpd). If USB, does the computer auto-recognize the model when you go to configure it? If not, there is a small chance the samsungmfp-scanner-usblp-fix package might help.

You could also try configuring the printer as a generic PCL printer, or selecting the CLP-600 or CLP-610 as the model (sometimes related models work). Another approach is to set the error policy (in the printer configuration) to "retry job" instead of "stop printer" or similar. I use an HP printer at work that went through a period of needing this - I was constantly getting spurious errors. Never did figure it out, and it eventually went away. It's possible that it is actually a configuration problem with the printer itself, and reseting it to factory defaults could potentially help.

Beans

Hi,
    just reporting that this worked with SCX 3405W wifi printer.
    I used 4.xx driver on ubuntu 12.04 x64 Desktop
    While Samsung official driver worked for printing, netdiscovery never worked (missing acces to libnetsnmp-10.so) although the file was inside /opt/Samsung/....

Am I wrong or your package doesn't provide the Samsung GUI?
    It is not really necessary but I was wondering.

You might want to add this printer reference to the first post listing network printers.

Most of all , thank you very very much.
    Last edited by atz6975; June 8th, 2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Ubuntu version

Beans

Smile Re: Upgrade breaks scanning CLX-3185FW, Ubuntu Lucid, solved

Quote Originally Posted by nick4mony View Post
    ... then replace other files until I reach the state I would do with a complete 3.00.90 install. That way I'll know how many files I've replaced when it starts working.

I've got all the {amd64,all}.deb files on board, but it's a bit late now, so I'll resume tomorrow.
    I have solved this problem. It was a missing symlink, which was in samsungmfp-configurator-data_3.00.90-2_all.deb, but not in samsungmfp-configurator-data_4.00.35-1_all.deb. The symlink is
    Code:
    /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3 -> libtiff.so.4
    So I've cleaned off everything, and installed the samsungmfp-driver-4.00.35 package and associates, and then manually created the symlink.

Feels like a shaggy dog story, doesn't it?

Many thanks to tweedledee for making the old files available. And yet another mark against Samsung whose software cannot have the decency to say "Error: cannot start /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/ImageManager (errno=???)" (which is the name of the window that wasn't coming up).

So that leaves you with two things to do:
    1. Remake the samsungmfp-configurator-data_4.00.35-?_all.deb file with the symlink,
    2. Re-examine the samsungmfp-driver-3.00.90_3.00.90-3_amd64.deb package dependencies ... for some reason they're dragging in 4.00.35 version files, not 3.00.90 files. This needs to be put right, so that if an upgrade breaks people's systems, and you get run over by a bus, then people have a way out.

Detailed information: the exact packages I have installed now are
    samsungmfp-common (4.00.35-1)
    samsungmfp-configurator-data (4.00.35-1)
    samsungmfp-configurator-qt4 (4.00.35-1)
    samsungmfp-data (4.00.35-1)
    samsungmfp-driver-4.00.35 (4.00.35-1)
    samsungmfp-network (4.00.35-1)
    samsungmfp-scanner (4.00.35-1)
    followed by creating the symlink like this (independent of current working directory)
    Code:
    sudo ln -s libtiff.so.4 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
    ## and to check ...
    ls -l /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
    ## expect this output
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 2012-06-09 21:58 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3 -> libtiff.so.4
    Last edited by nick4mony; June 9th, 2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Add thanks to tweedledee
    Nick Bishop
    -----
    email replies ignored
    -----
    Actions speak louder than words. Screaming is an action.
    -oOo-

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by atz6975 View Post
    Am I wrong or your package doesn't provide the Samsung GUI?
    It is not really necessary but I was wondering.
    The samsungmfp-configurator-qt4 package provides the Samsung GUI; it is separate from the driver because most people don't actually need the GUI.

Beans

Re: Upgrade breaks scanning CLX-3185FW, Ubuntu Lucid, solved

I have solved this problem. It was a missing symlink, which was in samsungmfp-configurator-data_3.00.90-2_all.deb, but not in samsungmfp-configurator-data_4.00.35-1_all.deb. The symlink is
    Code:
    /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3 -> libtiff.so.4
    So I've cleaned off everything, and installed the samsungmfp-driver-4.00.35 package and associates, and then manually created the symlink.

Feels like a shaggy dog story, doesn't it?
    Grrr..... I did a lot of testing before I removed that link, and it appeared that Samsung had finally stopped compiling with the need for it. I must have missed this particular case, though. The problem (and my motivation for re-evalauting whether is was necessary) is that the libtiff.so.4 keeps moving around; most people using the 3.00.90-2 package have a broken link. And with the introduction of libtiff5, it's getting worse. So I have a question for you: does /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 actually exist, or did you just make a broken link? In Debian, there has not actually been a /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 since before I released the 3.00.90-2 packages, which suggests many/most people already had a broken link.

Many thanks to tweedledee for making the old files available. And yet another mark against Samsung whose software cannot have the decency to say "Error: cannot start /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/ImageManager (errno=???)" (which is the name of the window that wasn't coming up).
    Useful to know.

So that leaves you with two things to do:
    [list=1][*]Remake the samsungmfp-configurator-data_4.00.35-?_all.deb file with the symlink,
    If the link needs to be correct, I'm going to have to add more complexity to the packaging to get this to work. If it just needs to "exist", even if it's broken, then the solution is simple, and I can get it uploaded right away.

[*]Re-examine the samsungmfp-driver-3.00.90_3.00.90-3_amd64.deb package dependencies ... for some reason they're dragging in 4.00.35 version files, not 3.00.90 files. This needs to be put right, so that if an upgrade breaks people's systems, and you get run over by a bus, then people have a way out.
    All the dependencies are correct. *Only* the core driver is at version 3.00.90 (or .37 or .65); everything else really is 4.00.35. I believe that your problem was just a fluke, not indicative of general problems with the upgrade process, and inherent in the all the warnings I provide about this mess. However, I will look at adjusting dependencies so that every package is dependent on exact versions of the other packages, which would permit multiple versions co-existing in the repository. (As long as they can't be co-installed - the troubleshooting would be exponentially more difficult, which is why I don't provide the option now.) Versioning like that is considerably more work each time I update packages, but updates are infrequent enough that I should be able to keep up with it.

Beans

New forums

I have created a set of forums directly on the repository website, at http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/forum/ . Please begin to transition to using those as a place to post for help, etc. I will continue to monitor this thread, but it is over 5 years old and almost entirely full of information that is now irrelevant or available in a more organized fashion elsewhere, and I would like to eventually move all support away from this thread.

Beans

Updated packages

Updated packages are now available on the repository to address the libtiff issue. The way they handle libtiff is the only functional change, so the vast majority of users should not notice any change from the the 4.00.35-1 packages.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Updated packages

there seems to be one bug in samsungmfp-scanner-usblp-fix: /etc/init.d/samsungmfp-usblp:

Code:
    diff -r e66a4e171400 /etc/init.d/samsungmfp-usblp
    --- /etc/init.d/samsungmfp-usblp    Mon Jun 11 13:43:05 2012 +0200
    +++ /etc/init.d/samsungmfp-usblp    Mon Jun 11 13:43:26 2012 +0200
    @@ -21,6 +21,7 @@
       restart)
         modprobe -r usblp
         modprobe usblp
    +    ;;
       *)
         echo "Usage: samsungmfp-usblp {start|stop|restart}"
         ;;