Page 9 of 104 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 1032

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Beans
    64
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

    Thanks a lot tweedledee. I used your guide a couple of times now and it always worked with no trouble. Sometimes I encountered minor issues, but you always had the solution. Cheers!

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    23
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

    Report on Gutsy and Samsung SCX-4200

    I had my SCX-4200 working perfectly under Feisty (both printing and scanning), thanks to the binary patch supplied by Jacobo Tarrio and the 2.00.95 drivers

    When I upgraded to Gutsy, printing continued to work fine, but xsane could no longer find the scanner.

    first, I tried the instructions from http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...4&postcount=73 disabling the AppArmor with
    Code:
    $ sudo aa-complain cups
    and then I uninstalled the USB printer detection by uninstalling the hal-cups-utils
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get remove hal-cups-utils
    But neither strategy worked.

    Then I completely uninstalled the existing 2.00.95 driver using the Samsung Uninstall GUI, and then rebooted before downloading and installing the most recent Samsung Unified Driver, listed as updated on 2007-11-15. I made sure to follow the instructions from the beginning of this thread closely, including the chown command.

    The driver configurator shows the following details:
    Common 2.00.97
    Printer 2.00.52
    Scanner 2.00.61
    Build 362

    My printer was detected fine, and xsane also found it no problem. Happily printing and scanning now!
    Last edited by metapaso; November 18th, 2007 at 06:44 PM.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    North Georgia, NA
    Beans
    211
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

    I've installed my 2151N duplex printer with both the Gutsy-supplied drivers and the Samsung package. The second side of the sheet is always printed upside down, no matter what the settings.

    I'm using the Foomatic hplj4d driver

    What a nuisance!

    Later: I found a solution: the 2150Postscript driver will print right-side-up second sides.

    Lane
    Last edited by LaneLester; December 3rd, 2007 at 08:01 PM.
    Lane Lester
    The Web Doctor

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    23
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

    Just wanted to alert Samsung printer users to a bug in Ghostscript under Gutsy and ask if anyone might have a solution:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/gs-gpl/+bug/172264

    The bug prevents printing of encrypted PDF files from acrobat reader and may affect other pdf printing/rendering engines that use ghostscript.

    In the bug thread I'm listed as Lunomad, so you can follow the error logs of my SCX-4200 printer with the Unified driver. If anyone out there can think of a workaround, I would greatly appreciate it. There are a couple of sample pdf and ps files, inlcuding one I uploaded myself from the Canadian Immigration website.

    Has anyone tried to configure an SCX-4200 to print using some other GPL'd drivers? I would gladly give up my scanning functionality to be able to print these pdfs. Thanks!

    D

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Beans
    678

    Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

    Quote Originally Posted by metapaso View Post
    Just wanted to alert Samsung printer users to a bug in Ghostscript under Gutsy and ask if anyone might have a solution:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/gs-gpl/+bug/172264

    The bug prevents printing of encrypted PDF files from acrobat reader and may affect other pdf printing/rendering engines that use ghostscript.

    In the bug thread I'm listed as Lunomad, so you can follow the error logs of my SCX-4200 printer with the Unified driver. If anyone out there can think of a workaround, I would greatly appreciate it. There are a couple of sample pdf and ps files, inlcuding one I uploaded myself from the Canadian Immigration website.

    Has anyone tried to configure an SCX-4200 to print using some other GPL'd drivers? I would gladly give up my scanning functionality to be able to print these pdfs. Thanks!

    D
    Thanks for the warning - I've still not upgraded to Gutsy, so haven't encountered this. Once you recover your printing system completely (I just read the full bug report, but can't offer any assistance on that part), you should be able to set up the SCX-4200 as a standard postscript printer, then apply the Ghostscripts workarounds described in the bug thread to print the troublesome PDFs. I believe you should be able to just add the SCX-4200 as a new printer with the PS driver and leave your existing one, so that you can print using the PS driver for problematic files and use the Samsung driver for everything else.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Beans
    45
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

    Hello,
    A quick thankyou for this howto, it worked without any trouble for me using a fresh install of Xubuntu and a network connected CLP-600N.

    However, in the process I think I have somehow broken my desktop icons/desktop access. I had a single Firefox launcher on the desktop which has disappeared, but when I tried to recreate it I get a permission denied error.

    Also, the Thunar File Manager shows the desktop icon in the left hand window with a cross over it. Attempting to open it generates a Failed to open directory "Desktop". Permission Denied error.

    Would this have anything to do with the
    sudo chown -R root:root *
    command?

    Does anyone know how I can regain the correct desktop permissions I need to create desktop icons?

    Cheers
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Beans
    678

    Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

    Quote Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
    Hello,
    A quick thankyou for this howto, it worked without any trouble for me using a fresh install of Xubuntu and a network connected CLP-600N.

    However, in the process I think I have somehow broken my desktop icons/desktop access. I had a single Firefox launcher on the desktop which has disappeared, but when I tried to recreate it I get a permission denied error.

    Also, the Thunar File Manager shows the desktop icon in the left hand window with a cross over it. Attempting to open it generates a Failed to open directory "Desktop". Permission Denied error.

    Would this have anything to do with the

    command?

    Does anyone know how I can regain the correct desktop permissions I need to create desktop icons?

    Cheers
    I'm guessing you used the chown command on your entire home directory, not just the Samsung cdroot directory. Execute "ls -l" in a terminal in your home folder; if files are owned by root, then just execute "sudo chown -R USER.USER *", where USER is your user name. I've fixed the original guide to clarify where exactly you should execute that command.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    2

    Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

    hi,

    i have a Samsung ML-1610 (simple one-sided usb laser printer with no scanner) which i once got working fine under ubuntu 6.06.

    i have just upgraded to 7.10 and printing quit working.

    i tried reinstalling samsung's latest driver which didn't work as is. printing test sheet adds it to lpq and printer is "ready and printing" but then it goes back to just "ready" and the print job seems to have been indefinitely put aside.

    if i use cups to change the uri from "mfp:/dev/mfp4" to "usb://Samsung/ML-1610", i have pages coming out of the printer. unfortunately the pages come out very slowly (pauses a few seconds in between every pages instead of spitting them out quite fast like it used to).

    i REALLY do need to be able to print many pages faster than it is doing at the moment.

    does someone have the same problem? any clue as to what i could try? is it due to using "usb" instead of "mfp" uri? is it due to newer cups or newer driver?


    PS: i've also tried foomatic. the quality of the printout is however much better with samsung's driver. (dithering of grays doesn't work great with foomatic)

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Beans
    45
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

    Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    I'm guessing you used the chown command on your entire home directory, not just the Samsung cdroot directory. Execute "ls -l" in a terminal in your home folder; if files are owned by root, then just execute "sudo chown -R USER.USER *", where USER is your user name. I've fixed the original guide to clarify where exactly you should execute that command.
    Absolutely correct, my desktop icons are now back and editable. Thanks very much for your help.

    Cheers
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Beans
    41
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver (ML-2571N)

    Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    Mini-guide to installing Samsung printers & Unified Driver:
    (Updated 17 December 2007)


    ML-2571n (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...6&postcount=12)
    I added an alternative howto post (and this is windows free) for the ML-2571N, this may be useful to link to?

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...77#post4086777

    Big thanks for gathering all this information.
    Last edited by jamb; January 7th, 2008 at 01:22 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AMD Athlon 64 +3800 / ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
    2048 MB DDR / GeForce 7600GS 512 MB / Dell 2407WFP

Page 9 of 104 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •