Page 79 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

I am trying to get the unified driver and I can't seem to make any of it work? It's for a samsung scx 4828 fn. I thought I was following the directions proper, but every time I've tried it in the terminal it says no such file exists? and in synaptic package manager it says the same thing? I'm ripping my hair out with this, I've made other devises run, but this i'm stumped on

Can any one explain what I'm doing wrong? Something in the instructions isn't clicking in my head

thanks

Beans

Unhappy Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Um, help?

Using a Samsung SCX-3201 on Ubuntu 11.04. Got samsungmfp-data, samsungmfp-scanner, samsungmfp-driver and samsung-mfp-network installed from bchemnet. Scanner's working fine, but the printer doesn't work at all.

Went through the recommendations on the Troubleshooting page, but they don't seem to work.

So.... when I try to print something, I get the message "There was a problem processing document 'whatever' (Job 2x)"

The error log is attached. (Split into parts because of filesize limits.)

Weird thing is, if the printer's idling, it goes into ready mode every time I try to print something. I still get the error, though.

If I try to print a test page, the message I get is "There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'client-error-document-format-not-supported'."

And when I run a self-test, it prints
    Code:
    %!
    userdict dup(\004)cvn{}put (\004\004)cvn{}put

% You are using the wrong driver for your printer!
    0 setgray
    2 setlinewidth
    initclip newpath clippath gsave stroke grestore pathbbox
    exch pop exch pop exch 9 add exch 9 sub moveto
    /Courier findfont 12 scalefont setfont
    0 -12 rmoveto gsave product show grestore
    0 -12 rmoveto gsave version show ( ) show revision 20 string cvs show grestore
    0 -12 rmoveto gsave serialnumber 20 string cvs show grestore
    showpage
    ♦
    I checked the printer properties, and it's associated with the correct driver (SCX 3200 series).

So.... what the hell is going wrong?

<Changing mode...>
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Hed View Post
    I thought I was following the directions proper, but every time I've tried it in the terminal it says no such file exists?
    Which step are you stuck at? As in, what are you typing into the terminal?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by arcturus.red; September 30th, 2011 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Fix version number

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arcturus.red View Post
    Um, help?

Using a Samsung SCX-3201 on Ubuntu 11.04. Got samsungmfp-data, samsungmfp-scanner, samsungmfp-driver and samsung-mfp-network installed from bchemnet. Scanner's working fine, but the printer doesn't work at all.

Went through the recommendations on the Troubleshooting page, but they don't seem to work.

So.... when I try to print something, I get the message "There was a problem processing document 'whatever' (Job 2x)"

The error log is attached. (Split into parts because of filesize limits.)

Weird thing is, if the printer's idling, it goes into ready mode every time I try to print something. I still get the error, though.

If I try to print a test page, the message I get is "There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'client-error-document-format-not-supported'."

And when I run a self-test, it prints
    Code:
    %!
    userdict dup(\004)cvn{}put (\004\004)cvn{}put

% You are using the wrong driver for your printer!
    0 setgray
    2 setlinewidth
    initclip newpath clippath gsave stroke grestore pathbbox
    exch pop exch pop exch 9 add exch 9 sub moveto
    /Courier findfont 12 scalefont setfont
    0 -12 rmoveto gsave product show grestore
    0 -12 rmoveto gsave version show ( ) show revision 20 string cvs show grestore
    0 -12 rmoveto gsave serialnumber 20 string cvs show grestore
    showpage
    ♦
    I checked the printer properties, and it's associated with the correct driver (SCX 3200 series).

So.... what the hell is going wrong?

<Changing mode...>

Which step are you stuck at? As in, what are you typing into the terminal?
    I put in the code that you have in step 1 in the terminal using sudo, it says no such command. Also tried doing it manually in the repository via synaptic it puts the code in the repository but when I try then to get the right key it won't allow anything to happen, I've tried a bunch of times now and nothing seems to work, f'n frustrating. Hope you can help

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hdel View Post
    I try to install the legacy one but are only links for the 3.00.90-2 (debian synaptic)
    I try to install manually after downloading them from http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/ repository but all claim for non legacy package for install so I can see the legacy only install : /. when viewing in synaptic.

So now Idon't know what I ca do. (Iread the entire post and test when possible without success)
    Perhaps I can add I am thinking to update squeeze -> to wheezy (unstable Debian.
    Thanks for all you made for us
    The package that is relevant to this is probably the samsungmfp-network(-legacy) one. The -legacy version is tied to the libc version. I am not aware of any issues with the 2.11 libc in Debian Squeeze, although there have been other difficulties with it. You can try to force-install (using dpk on a command line) the samsungmfp-network-legacy package, even though it will complain that the dependencies are not met, and see if that helps. You could also just extract the netdiscovery tool out of the -legacy package and run it manual (in the correct path in /opt) and see if it works, or if the 32-bit version of the -legacy does (assuming you have installed the ia32-libs package). If one of those works, you can use it as a short term solution until I figure out what's going on. Otherwise all I can say is that it works in my Squeeze virtual machine test system (I run Testing), but I don't have a scanner to check with.

Beans

Um, help?

You tried alternate versions of the -driver package? Although the error suggests the problem may be an issue with the ppd, in which case you might want to try the legacy data package (which requires the legacy driver unless you want to try force-installing it - there is a reason that I decided to make the newer drivers depend only on the newer data package, although what it was escapes me at the moment).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Hed View Post
    I put in the code that you have in step 1 in the terminal using sudo, it says no such command. Also tried doing it manually in the repository via synaptic it puts the code in the repository but when I try then to get the right key it won't allow anything to happen, I've tried a bunch of times now and nothing seems to work, f'n frustrating. Hope you can help
    Do you mean the line that begins with "deb"? If so, that is not supposed to be executed as a command, you need to edit the sources.list file and add that line to the file.

Beans

I tried this solutions too.
    Netdiscovery tool from 3.00.9; legacy (suldr); from samsung.com in 32bits (error libnss..) but same output and 64 bit.
    ./netdiscovery --all --scanner always return 0 scanner found!
    To be sure I test with a windows XP and network scanning works fine.
    I am now on squeeze and kernel 3.1-rc7 (the nouveau xorg driver don't function in 2.6.32.x).
    Same tests, same results!

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    The package that is relevant to this is probably the samsungmfp-network(-legacy) one. The -legacy version is tied to the libc version. I am not aware of any issues with the 2.11 libc in Debian Squeeze, although there have been other difficulties with it. You can try to force-install (using dpk on a command line) the samsungmfp-network-legacy package, even though it will complain that the dependencies are not met, and see if that helps. You could also just extract the netdiscovery tool out of the -legacy package and run it manual (in the correct path in /opt) and see if it works, or if the 32-bit version of the -legacy does (assuming you have installed the ia32-libs package). If one of those works, you can use it as a short term solution until I figure out what's going on. Otherwise all I can say is that it works in my Squeeze virtual machine test system (I run Testing), but I don't have a scanner to check with.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    You tried alternate versions of the -driver package? Although the error suggests the problem may be an issue with the ppd, in which case you might want to try the legacy data package (which requires the legacy driver unless you want to try force-installing it - there is a reason that I decided to make the newer drivers depend only on the newer data package, although what it was escapes me at the moment).
    The legacy data package doesn't seem to support this particular model. (SCX 3200)
    The driver defaults to a generic PCL 5e Foomatic.
    And then I get the exact same errors when I try to print.

EDIT:
    Removed CUPS and then reinstalled it, and now printing works fine.
    .... Well, at least for documents. I get random gibberish when I try to print pictures, but that's probably Shotwell's fault.
    Last edited by arcturus.red; October 1st, 2011 at 01:57 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hdel View Post
    I tried this solutions too.
    Netdiscovery tool from 3.00.9; legacy (suldr); from samsung.com in 32bits (error libnss..) but same output and 64 bit.
    ./netdiscovery --all --scanner always return 0 scanner found!
    To be sure I test with a windows XP and network scanning works fine.
    I am now on squeeze and kernel 3.1-rc7 (the nouveau xorg driver don't function in 2.6.32.x).
    Same tests, same results!
    Please post the output file from:
    Code:
    strace ./netdiscovery --all --scanner > ~/strace-out.txt
    The other thing you can try is to create an /opt/smpf-common/lib64 folder and cp /usr/lib/libnetsnmp.so.10.* into it, then try netdiscovery again. (This assumes you are not using any of the other work-arounds at present.)

Beans

The legacy data package doesn't seem to support this particular model. (SCX 3200)
    The driver defaults to a generic PCL 5e Foomatic.
    And then I get the exact same errors when I try to print.
    If you are getting the same errors with the Foomatic driver, then the issue is not with the Samsung driver or packages. You might want to try re-installing CUPS and/or the various foo* packages to see if something has been corrupted.

Page 79 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast