Page 7 of 104 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

My install went exactly the same way as below, except that I have a CLP-600N printer. I was also getting file/path not found errors but those resolved when I moved /cdroot up in the tree. Other than that, the install went as described. I did need to change the permissions back to root on the various folders but OpenOffice did not seem to be affected as some have stated.

Many thanks for posting this thread....I am truly a NOOB when it comes to Linux. Right now I'm evaluating Fiesty and getting my printer to work was one of the last roadblocks before I commit to ditching Winblows. Now to get VMware working and M$ is gone as my host. Thanks again...you guys rock.

Quote Originally Posted by reiki View Post
    I just installed the July 20 unified driver. On Ubuntu Feisty (32-bit)
    My printer is a CLP-300N model and is connected to network only (not using the USB connection that is also on the printer).

Following this guide I changed permission on the install.sh file and then edited the first line changing /bin/sh to /bin/bash.

Then I used the ./autorun and install went as expected.

I do have some notes here related to teh network printer (as opposed to a directly connected printer)

At the printer select screen during driver install, no printers are detected since the local printer radio button is ticked. I choose the network printer radio button and then select Browse for Printers. Installer finds my CLP300N on the network and presents it for installation.

After install completes I go to (in Gnome) System -> Administration -> Printing and the printer is already in there. I don't have to do anything further. The connection properties show it as being connected using IPP://-*IP_address_of_printer*- so IPP printing appears to be working fine here.
    <snip>
    And since I have the printer set as a static IP I can easily log on to it using a web browser by using it's IP address. Lots of settings available in that interface as well.
    <sinp>

Beans

Just wanted to post this in here for informational purposes. I am one of those for whom the Samsung unified driver is working.

HOWEVER, I notice it prints plain text kinda blurry. And if I print plain text from the text editor, it comes out really large and the letters overlap horribly and it's generally unreadable. So it's not always formatting correctly.

There is an alternative.

I also installed the foo2qpdl driver
    http://foo2qpdl.rkkda.com/

So I have my CLP-300N (connected network only... no USB connection) set up twice. Once as CLP-300N using the samsung unified driver (works fine for me as an IPP printer) and once as CLP-300N-foo using the foo2qpdl driver.

Why not pick one? Because while the foo2qpdl driver does a MUCH nicer job on text, the samsung unified driver appears to do a much better job on complex color (photo or near-photo). Since most of my everyday printing is text or text with color highlights or simple color... the foo2qpdl is my default driver. When I need to print something with a bit more complex color in itr, then I use the samsung unified driver.

Different tools for different jobs.
    Dell Zino HD, AMD Neo X2 e6850, 8GB, 750GB, ATI HD4330 in MXM slot.

Beans

Re: Samsung ML-2510

Using the drivers for ML-2010 and ML-2150 to install the ML 2510 did not work out for me... the test-pages were not printed properly: they were not printed in the center, and the magenta colour in them was not printing properly.

However, I managed to find a way around (I'm using Ubuntu Feisty).

What I did was simply to do download the driver from samsung
    ML-2510/XAA (it seems that the driver that comes with the CD has some problems: http://openprinting.org/show_printer...amsung-ML-2510), and then simply to copy the following two files:

cdroot/Linux/i386/at_root/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl
    (from the Samsung package (where cdroot is the root directory of the samsung ML-2510/XAA driver that I downloaded)) to /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl.

And then cdroot/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share/ppd/ML-2510spl2.ppd (again from the Samsung package) to /usr/share/cups/model/custom/ML-2510spl2.ppd

I restarted the printer manager and I could find then my model in the list. the test page now works perfectly, and the printer properties has many options that were not available when installing other printers instead.

I hope it might help other users.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTinman View Post
    I just bought this printer today and have it working perfectly with Feisty without having to use the included software nor having to download anything. Basically I installed the printer via System-->Administration-->Printing but chose Samsung ML-2010 as the model (that is AFTER the machine correctly detected that an ML-2510 was connected) and gdi as the driver.

This was based on information I found via the Linux Foundation OpenPrinting initiative. I posted my results on the ML-2510 page.

See http://openprinting.org/show_printer...amsung-ML-2510.
    Last edited by sa-mejia; September 8th, 2007 at 05:12 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I just thought that I would add my experiences with the Samsung ML2510. I am running Gutsy on a Intel Dual Core proc with 2GB ram. All that I did to install the printer was... nothing! After I connected the printer to power, and to the USB port on the computer, I turned the printer on. A couple of seconds after I turned it on the print manager informed me that it had installed the printer, using a different driver. I thought that this might be too good to be true, so I fired up OpenOffice, selected a document, selected the 2510 as the printer and presto it worked! Gutsy has been excellent and stable on my hardware. I am very impressed. As always the Ubuntu community has great information, and I thought that I would add to it.

Beans

I just did a fresh installation of Ubuntu Fiesty. I downloaded the drivers and extracted them to the folder. I didn't do anything beyond that. I try the command:

sudo ./cdroot/autorun

and I Get this error

me@mycomp-linux:~/My Downloads$ sudo cdroot/autorun
    ./i386/share/guiinstall.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    **** It seems Qt library is not installed, or X display is not accessible.
    **** Custom Qt library will be configured for use with this package.
    export: 1376: Downloads/cdroot/Linux/i386/at_opt/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin: bad variable name
    Do I have to boot in to recovery mode with root access and chown the directory cdroot or something?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Beans

just bought the samsung ml-2510 and did copied the two files , and the printer worked perfectly ~~~ (on ubuntu feisty)

just to let u guys know

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marf88 View Post
    I just did a fresh installation of Ubuntu Fiesty. I downloaded the drivers and extracted them to the folder. I didn't do anything beyond that. I try the command:

sudo ./cdroot/autorun

and I Get this error

Do I have to boot in to recovery mode with root access and chown the directory cdroot or something?

Thanks for your help in advance.
    Make sure the package libqt3mt is installed on your computer. I think it's a default package, but maybe not. If it is, try a reinstall of the package, and make sure that /usr/lib is in your path (should be).

Beans

Details Using Fiesty
    Have a Samsung ML-6060 printer connected to a USB (at one time connected to pc by cable)

I tried the Unified driver approach would not print using a pcl setup but printed 50 plus pages of gigo data when using the ps set up. Using the unified driver it only recognized the printer as /dev/mfp4.

Tried the localhost route it displayed two possible printers ML-6060 (MFP USB Port #2) and Samsung ML-6060 (Samsung ML-6060 USB #3)

What is the difference?

Installed one then the other. Received errors about not having pstopcl. If selecting the pcl nothing if ps then it just prints garbage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

carltonb

Beans

First of all, if it wasn't for this thread we'd all be screwed.

I just ordered this printer and just wanted to know if anyone's had any success in getting ALL functionality working. Printing, scanning and faxing. This guide is starting to look more like a HOW-NOT-TO guide since there seems to be a lot of problems. Doesn't Samsung provide the drivers for linux? It should'nt be this difficult. Its not brain surgery. Are the drivers only half baked or what??

EDIT: My beef is only with Samsung BTW and please don't mistake my tone as being directed towards the forum members and I want to thank Tweedleded for the excellent guide.
    Last edited by roxy99; October 11th, 2007 at 05:40 PM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO not let SANE drive you IN-SANE

Success ! Fiesty Fawn with Samsung 4521F.

Here's how I did it:

1) Follow link to Samsung driver pagehttp://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...111&prd_ia_cd=

Notice that at the bottom of the driver download page is Ubuntu instructions. Follow those instrutions. Funny how Samsung seems to be supporting Ubuntu now, even though you still need to jump thru hoops to get the scanner to work. Printing is basically plug and play with the USB setup. Scanning is the problem

To set up scanning:

2) Follow http://www.elijahlofgren.com/ubuntu/#scx-4521f. Only follow steps 13-17 to get the Scanner to work.

3) Download hacked libmfp.so.1.0.1 driver for for versions 2.00.95 and 2.00.97 at this site:
    http://jacobo.tarrio.org/Samsung_SCX-4200_on_Debian

NB- This hack disables your lpt1 port which conlicts with the USB detection of the scanner. Hopefully you won't need the parallel port for anything since it will no longer work.

You do not need to bother with adding yourself as a user to the lp group since you took care of that in step 2.
    Reboot the system and scanning should work
    Last edited by roxy99; October 15th, 2007 at 03:53 PM.

Page 7 of 104 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast