Page 63 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Hi,

Would this workaround work for a 32-bit system, too? Under Ubuntu 10.10 I receive the same error message as you had on 64-bit systems:

Code:
    netdiscovery: relocation error: /lib/libnss_files.so.2: symbol strcmp, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
    netdiscovery: relocation error: /lib/libnss_files.so.2: symbol strcmp, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
    If I temporary rename the libnss_file.so.2 file, netdiscovery finds the scanner fine. So I guess it is a similar problem as you did have.

Does it make sense to build a 32-package from eglibc?

cheers
    gaboro
    cheers
    gaboro

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gaboro View Post
    Would this workaround work for a 32-bit system, too?
    It should. You can test by downloading the samsungmfp-eglibc32 package and installing using dpkg --force-architecure -i <package>, then invoking netdiscovery as:
    Code:
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Samsung/eglibc32/lib /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/netdiscovery
    If it works, I can implement the same solution for the 32-bit packages. (I don't have a 32-bit installation handy at the moment to try this myself.)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    If it works, I can implement the same solution for the 32-bit packages. (I don't have a 32-bit installation handy at the moment to try this myself.)
    It did not work unfortunately...
    Code:
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Samsung/eglibc32/lib/ /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/netdiscovery 
    sh: /opt/Samsung/eglibc32/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by sh)
    sh: /opt/Samsung/eglibc32/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by sh)
    # Network printers discovery utility
    # Legend: ip: address slp: detected,ipp,lpr,raw_tcp snmp: detected,devtype,description
    # Total 0 printers found, 0s elapsed
    Do you have any clue how to solve this?
    Thanks in advance
    cheers
    gaboro

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hokiejp View Post
    Done. Also, I got the new drivers from the repository today (including samsungmfp-eglibc32) and can confirm that scanning works for me. Thanks again for all your hard working in making these available!
    FYI, gawk appears to be the only other requirement for building aside from build-essential and gcc-multilib.

Beans

Thanks in advance
    Yes - stop the Ubuntu developers from forcing the 32-bit sh (bash/dash) to depend on a particular version of libc. I have no idea what the person who compiled that version was thinking, and it should probably be reported as a bug, because neither 64-bit nor 32-bit Debian has the same requirement. And obviously 64-bit Ubuntu does not or the fix wouldn't work there, either, although I am going to do a test to confirm that as well.

I am also looking into other workarounds, since my virtual machine tests with a 32-bit 10.10 Ubuntu install today seem to indicate that only the latest update of eglibc causes the problem on 32-bit systems, so I may be able to get this to work with a 2.11 version.

More updates later, hopefully soon.

Beans

Thanks in advance
    Okay, try this: remove the current samsungmfp-eglibc32 package you have installed. Download http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/eglibc32.tar.gz. Unpack the file and move the folder to /opt/Samsung. Then try again with the same command from above.

My preliminary tests suggest that this fixes the error you saw, but I'm not sure it will actually detect the scanner, which is why I'm not moving directly into a packaged solution.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, try this: remove the current samsungmfp-eglibc32 package you have installed. Download http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/eglibc32.tar.gz. Unpack the file and move the folder to /opt/Samsung. Then try again with the same command from above.

My preliminary tests suggest that this fixes the error you saw, but I'm not sure it will actually detect the scanner, which is why I'm not moving directly into a packaged solution.
    Like you though, errors are gone now but neither the scanner is not found nor the printer itself.
    w/o LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
    Code:
    /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/netdiscovery.orig
    netdiscovery.orignetdiscovery.orig: : relocation errorrelocation error: : /lib/libnss_files.so.2/lib/libnss_files.so.2: : symbol strcmp, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time referencesymbol strcmp, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

# Legend: ip: address slp: detected,ipp,lpr,raw_tcp snmp: detected,devtype,description
    ip: 192.168.0.50    slp: 0,0,0,0 snmp: 0,0,0 dsc: " [SEC0015997701B7] Apa HomeOffice"
    # Total 1 printers found, 5s elapsed
    w/ LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
    Code:
     LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Samsung/eglibc32/lib/ /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/netdiscovery.orig
    # Total 0 printers found, 0s elapsed
    I have tried to create a netdiscovery script to test scanimage -L but it also fails to find the scanner...
    cheers
    gaboro

Beans

Like you though, errors are gone now but neither the scanner is not found nor the printer itself.
    Just for completeness, try running w/ and w/o the library path as
    Code:
    netdiscovery --all --scanner
    If that doesn't work, I think the problem is the way the current 32-bit sh is linked during compilation in Ubuntu. The 2.10.1 library files work fine with 64-bit Ubuntu, 32-bit Debian, and 64-bit Debian (Squeeze). This would be something to report on launchpad. However, whether the error is in bash/dash, libc6, or somewhere else, I'm not sure. I'd guess libc6 based on my limited package updating done today.

You can try reverting to the original package version of libc6* that shipped with 10.10 to see if that helps (original versions 2.12.1-0ubuntu6, current 2.12.1-0ubuntu10.2), which would also strongly suggest an issue with the way some package is built for 32-bit systems. Such a reversion might solve the problem even without the use of my eglibc build.

In the meantime, and on the small chance that it might work, I'm going to try to compile a version of the original 2.12.1 libraries to test. If not, and if reverting the package doesn't help, then I think this has to be fixed through the Ubuntu packages.

Beans

I've updated the eglibc32.targ.gz file - please download and test the same process.

If it works, I should be able to implement a solution, but it will take some thought on how best to reconstruct packages. The 2.12.1 I compiled appears (with my limited testing ability) to work fine in Ubuntu 10.10, but fails completely with Debian Squeeze, I assume because the 2.12 is newer than the 2.11. Which means I have to work out a series of dependencies for when someone actually needs the libraries I'm compiling and when those libraries would actually break a working installation....

Beans
    Distro

Just for completeness, try running w/ and w/o the library path as
    Code:
    netdiscovery --all --scanner
    Same result, I'm afraid, no scanner found regardless of the library usage.

You can try reverting to the original package version of libc6* that shipped with 10.10 to see if that helps (original versions 2.12.1-0ubuntu6, current 2.12.1-0ubuntu10.2), which would also strongly suggest an issue with the way some package is built for 32-bit systems. Such a reversion might solve the problem even without the use of my eglibc build.
    Instead of forcing the old version of the libc6 to my "live" system I booted up a live cd Ubuntu 10.10 32-bit in a virtualbox session. Having installed the drivers I experienced negative results again.
    • Using the default libc6 2.12.1-0ubuntu6 I received errors and dumps, printer found, scanner not (same result w/ --all --scanner).

Code:
    ./netdiscovery 
    netdiscovery: ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/getpagesize.c:32: __getpagesize: Assertion `_rtld_global_ro._dl_pagesize != 0' failed.
    netdiscovery: ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/getpagesize.c:32: __getpagesize: Assertion `_rtld_global_ro._dl_pagesize != 0' failed.
    Aborted (core dumped)
    Aborted (core dumped)
    Aborted (core dumped)
    ip: 10.0.2.2        slp: 0,0,0,0 snmp: 0,0,0 dsc: " [SEC0015997701B7] Apa HomeOffice"
    # Total 1 printers found, 9s elapsed
    • Using your eglibc package the result war the same as w/ the newer libc on my live system: lots of compains from sh not having the proper version of libc.

Code:
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Samsung/eglibc32/lib /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/netdiscovery --all --scanner
    # Total 0 scanners found, 0s elapsed
    • Using your eglibc tar.gz file, printer will be found but no scanner.

Code:
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Samsung/eglibc32_targz/lib /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/netdiscovery --all --scanner
    # Total 0 scanners found, 5s elapsed
    Do you think it worth to try the old libc6 package on an installed system?
    cheers
    gaboro

Page 63 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast