Page 62 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Quote Originally Posted by hokiejp View Post
    This solution will work as long as one can still build eglibc 2.10.1, has no implications for system stability, and merely wastes about 100MB of disk space. That could probably be reduced by keeping only the files that were strictly required.
    Would you be willing to test what is required? Specifically by moving everything except lib/ out of the way, and also moving the .a files from lib/? I believe both should be safe for this application, and that would reduce the install size to ~20 MB instead of ~90 MB. Probably still twice what is necessary, but a significant improvement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    Would you be willing to test what is required? Specifically by moving everything except lib/ out of the way, and also moving the .a files from lib/? I believe both should be safe for this application, and that would reduce the install size to ~20 MB instead of ~90 MB. Probably still twice what is necessary, but a significant improvement.
    No problem. I think you're right, and I should be able to confirm it later in the week.

Beans

I have a new SCX-4623FW set up as a wired network printer. I installed the Samsung Unified Driver Configurator in my Ubuntu 10.04 (32 bit) and attempted to configure the printer by hand to point to my printer on the network. I was getting the following error message on the print jobs:

stopping job because the scheduler could not execute a filter

The troubleshooter tool led me to a filter with unsafe permissions:

/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstosecps

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 70348 2010-01-18 08:58 pstosecps

I removed write permission for group and other:

chmod go-w /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstosecps

So the permissions are now

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 70348 2010-01-18 08:58 pstosecps

I then deleted the manually created printer in the Samsung Unified Driver Configurator, and found the printer on the network by searching. And now printing works!

Hope that helps someone.

Beans
    Distro

In looking at this again I noticed that I was building everything with -g, so all the libs were way bigger than they had to be. Fixing that (previous post with build instructions updated), cut the size in half.

I then removed all non-lib directories, and all .a, .o, and .map files and found no effect on netdiscovery (remaining size was 9.1MB). I got ambitious and removed the lib/gconv folder and it still works fine for me (although maybe won't be portable to other locales?). Total size is now 2.9MB, with 1.5MB of that just for libc itself.

Beans

In looking at this again I noticed that I was building everything with -g, so all the libs were way bigger than they had to be. Fixing that (previous post with build instructions updated), cut the size in half.

I then removed all non-lib directories, and all .a, .o, and .map files and found no effect on netdiscovery (remaining size was 9.1MB). I got ambitious and removed the lib/gconv folder and it still works fine for me (although maybe won't be portable to other locales?). Total size is now 2.9MB, with 1.5MB of that just for libc itself.
    I have packaged this solution. Everyone who has been having scanner issues with 64-bit installations should now have a working system if you update to the latest repository files. Please let me know how it goes.

(I did change the "tools" directory to "eglibc32" and pruned the libc_pic directory as well, but otherwise this is identical to your solution and comes in under 2.8 MB.)

Beans

Oh, and you may want to mention in your build post that gcc-multilib is required for the build (at least on my system). I'm pointing people who want to install/build manually to your posts, and that may eliminate some questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks for the work in putting together this guide to getting Samsung printers to work and to also give some feedback.

I actually found your website (http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/) before discovering this thread. I have been using the guide to install samsungmfp-data, samsungmfp-driver and samsungmfp-lpr for about a year now.

We hit an issue with printing from Adobe Reader. It would show the usual print dialog and then the lpr print dialog. After the lpr print dialog we would get an error dialog with a large error and it would not print.

We found that to fix it, I just needed to go into the Synaptic Package Manager and remove samsungmfp-lpr. After that we could print.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Azdour View Post
    We hit an issue with printing from Adobe Reader. It would show the usual print dialog and then the lpr print dialog. After the lpr print dialog we would get an error dialog with a large error and it would not print.

We found that to fix it, I just needed to go into the Synaptic Package Manager and remove samsungmfp-lpr. After that we could print.
    In the event you are interested in a somewhat cumbersome work-around, you can configure your printer using the dialogs, and then copy the command line that is generated (when you are viewing printer "properties"). Then select "custom" printer and paste the command, changing the "lpr" the beginning to "/usr/bin/lpr" to force Reader to use the CUPS lpr instead of the Samsung one (which I put in /usr/local/bin to allow this kind of work-around).

There used to be a way to change the default "lpr" used by Reader, but it appears that option has been removed. The current work-around works fine if you rarely change printers or printer settings, or are willing to configure several custom printers containing your common settings.

Beans
    Distro

Oh, and you may want to mention in your build post that gcc-multilib is required for the build (at least on my system). I'm pointing people who want to install/build manually to your posts, and that may eliminate some questions.
    Done. Also, I got the new drivers from the repository today (including samsungmfp-eglibc32) and can confirm that scanning works for me. Thanks again for all your hard working in making these available!

Beans

Thanks again for all your hard working in making these available!
    Thank you for spending the time to find a viable solution to the scanning problems - there are at least several dozen people, and possibly a couple of hundred, who should now have fully functional scanners again.

Page 62 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast