I have a new SCX-4623FW set up as a wired network printer. I installed the Samsung Unified Driver Configurator in my Ubuntu 10.04 (32 bit) and attempted to configure the printer by hand to point to my printer on the network. I was getting the following error message on the print jobs:
stopping job because the scheduler could not execute a filter
The troubleshooter tool led me to a filter with unsafe permissions:
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 70348 2010-01-18 08:58 pstosecps
I removed write permission for group and other:
chmod go-w /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstosecps
So the permissions are now
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 70348 2010-01-18 08:58 pstosecps
I then deleted the manually created printer in the Samsung Unified Driver Configurator, and found the printer on the network by searching. And now printing works!
Hope that helps someone.
I then removed all non-lib directories, and all .a, .o, and .map files and found no effect on netdiscovery (remaining size was 9.1MB). I got ambitious and removed the lib/gconv folder and it still works fine for me (although maybe won't be portable to other locales?). Total size is now 2.9MB, with 1.5MB of that just for libc itself.
(I did change the "tools" directory to "eglibc32" and pruned the libc_pic directory as well, but otherwise this is identical to your solution and comes in under 2.8 MB.)
Just wanted to say thanks for the work in putting together this guide to getting Samsung printers to work and to also give some feedback.
I actually found your website (http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/) before discovering this thread. I have been using the guide to install samsungmfp-data, samsungmfp-driver and samsungmfp-lpr for about a year now.
We hit an issue with printing from Adobe Reader. It would show the usual print dialog and then the lpr print dialog. After the lpr print dialog we would get an error dialog with a large error and it would not print.
We found that to fix it, I just needed to go into the Synaptic Package Manager and remove samsungmfp-lpr. After that we could print.
There used to be a way to change the default "lpr" used by Reader, but it appears that option has been removed. The current work-around works fine if you rarely change printers or printer settings, or are willing to configure several custom printers containing your common settings.