Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

You might want to try this suggestion which worked for me:

a: in a terminal, type "sudo chmod -s /usr/bin/xsane"
    b: sudo edit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf, and comment out (add a "#") in front of the line that says "smfp" (probably the last line).
    If you only do (a) and not (b), xsane will crash.

Though I do not have a multi-function printer, my scanner quit being detected when I installed the Samsung unified driver. My scanner is a Canon. When I followed the 2 steps noted above that another fine forum member suggested, my scanner became detected and commenting out the "smfp" that the unified printer driver had put in didn't affect how the printer works. Both now excellently. This might work for you but I'm no expert.

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

The problem appears to be found, but not the solution. At least not immediately.

I downloaded Samsung's (Linux) Unified Driver 2.0.93 for the SCX 4521 and installed it, or so I thought. However, when I look in /usr/lib/sane there are two bad links
    libsane-smfp.so.1 and libsane-smfp.so

There don't seem to be any "real" library files of an appropriate name anywhere. I suspect someone forgot to pack them in the tarball.

If anyone who has a working system can find the files these links are supposed to point to, maybe we can get them posted somewhere. (I have a server or two.) I can be contacted as nashjc _at_ uottawa.ca.

JN

Beans

Now have print and scan running (have not tested fax, but very unlikely to use it; copy works).

Solution was to uninstall SamsungUnifiedDriver (2.0.93 - 20070324101840703_UnifiedLinuxDriver.tar.gz) and re-install it. I also had tried a lot of the suggestions above and in links thereto and had to reset these e.g., the smfp line in dll.conf, and the root operation of xsane. None of these appear to be needed with new driver.

However, the libsane-smfp library file IS missing. I've sent a msg to Samsung, but will not hold my breath. Fortunately in some other Samsung files from related devices, notably 20070129124018750_UnifiedLinuxDriver.tar.gz, the cdroot/Linux/i386/at_root/usr/lib/sane/libsane-smfp.so.1.0.1 file (158Kb) can simply be copied to /usr/lib/sane/

With that, my scx-4521 is printing AND scanning.

Now if only Samsung would fix the Flash Crash mess on their website. (I got round this by using Konqueror that did NOT have Flash installed -- pages don't look quite right, but at least I can see them.)

JN

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nashjc View Post
    Now have print and scan running (have not tested fax, but very unlikely to use it; copy works).
    Thanks for providing those details. I haven't tried the latest driver yet, I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" when it comes to drivers. I've updated the original post to highlight the recent problems.

Beans

I'd echo "If it ain't broke ...". I avoid driver updates except when there are problems.

JN

Beans

Hey TweedLedee!

Your instructions to edit the install.sh file and the executing it worked like a charm. Now I'm finally printing in my Samsun ML-2510.

Many many thanks man!!!
    Last edited by rdelfin; April 24th, 2007 at 05:12 PM.

Beans

Does anyone have any idea what this problem reported in /var/log/cups/error_log is:

Code:
    I [15/May/2007:22:11:19 +1000] Job 48 queued on "StudyColourLaser" by "avadmin".
    I [15/May/2007:22:11:19 +1000] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 19928) for job 48.
    I [15/May/2007:22:11:19 +1000] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungsplc (PID 19929) for job 48.
    I [15/May/2007:22:11:19 +1000] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/lpd (PID 19931) for job 48.
    E [15/May/2007:22:11:19 +1000] PID 19929 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungsplc) stopped with status 5!
    I [15/May/2007:22:11:19 +1000] Hint: Try setting the LogLevel to "debug" to find out more.
    E [15/May/2007:22:11:19 +1000] [Job 48] Unable to open input
    I [15/May/2007:22:11:21 +1000] Started "/usr/lib/cups/cgi-bin/printers.cgi" (pid=19933)
    I've followed this guide and the install (2007... drivers) seems to work correctly, but I can't get anything to print!

Andy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This worked for me (7.04 Feisty) :

* download driver from Samsung (Unified driver)
    * Simply choose add printer in System-> Administration -> Printing
    * For me the printer is detected, choose install driver, select the PPD file from the downloaded archive

Next when you try to print, I got the error : rastertosamsungsplc failed

Now simply :

sudo cp ./cdroot/Linux/i386/at_root/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungsplc /usr/lib/cups/filter/

to copy this filter to your cups filter directory. Try to print again. Success !

PS : if you download the wrong driver (Linux instead of Unified), you will see : /usr/lib/cups/filter/ppmtosplc failed
    Problem is that the interface will not allow you to install the Unified driver anymore (already install this PPD file message). You can fix this by

cp /home/koen/samsung-printers/cdroot/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share/ppd/CLP-300splc.ppd /usr/share/ppd/custom

to overwrite the PPD file with the Unified version.

Good luck

Beans

Just in case it helps someone else, I fixed my problem (two posts up). After many hours of mucking around, one, some or all of the following got things working:

• Installed foomatic, and recommended packages.
    • Uninstalled and reinstalled the driver.
    • Changed ownership and permissions as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Andy.

Beans

HOWTO Install Samsung Scanner Driver?

I have been able to print in the past and also with the latest unified driver. Unfortunately, I cannot scan, even though I have been able to in the past (Mandriva 2005?). Back then I had to muck around with a lib file and binary-edit a text reference within it.

Today, the Samsung GUI Unified Driver Configurator simply crashes when I select the scanner display. Also, the GIMP is hung loading the xsane plugin. Checking the system logs and other usual suspects reveals nothing to me.

I have an SCX-4100 (and Feisty) and any help is greatly appreciated.

Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast