Page 22 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Quote Originally Posted by yahs View Post
    Looking at your results for lsusb, - this means you don't have anything plugged into any USB ports?

The sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst command was just to check that your password is correct and active. The actual file is only really needed if you dual boot.

The fact that lsusb didn't show your printer is like Windows not recognising a piece of hardware, so trying to install software for that particular item isn't much use.

How about booting from a live Ubuntu Cd and then checking System, Administartion, Printing to see if your Samsung appears? (Printer plugged in and switched on).
    Yahs....I just went ahead and checked the sys admin printer....the printer is showing up as recognized. There is a little icon of the printer in the window with a Samsung scx-4100 under it....so Ubuntu is now seeing it. Just won't print. Still can't get the driver to run....

Craig

Beans

Craig,
    If your printer is showing under sys, admin I'm not sure why lsusb doesn't have an entry for Samsung.

I'm not an expert but I have installed and helped to install a number of samsung printers. Before the latest Unified driver (ver 3.00.37) it was often a fairly complicated process particularly to get scanning working. Now it is usually just a case of download the driver, extract to desktop or home folder, open a terminal, switch to the /cdroot/Linux directory and type sudo ./install.sh Follow the prompts and it's done.

Can you try my suggestion of booting from a live Cd, check to see if the printer shows and if so download a fresh copy of the Unified driver and have another try at installing while you are still running the live Cd. If this doesn't work I'm not really sure what the fix is, though I'll try and find a solution.

Beans

Hi Craig - Last post for a while as I am away for a few days.

Just done a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10

This is my listing from lsusb

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 045e:0040 Microsoft Corp. Wheel Mouse Optical
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04e8:3413 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd SCX-4100 Scanner
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 005: ID 0424:223a Standard Microsystems Corp. 8-in-1 Card Reader
    Bus 005 Device 004: ID 05e3:0606 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 Hub / D-Link DUB-H4 USB 2.0 Hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Extracted Driver to the desktop

cd Desktop/cdroot/Linux

sudo ./install.sh

I get the following error message

libstdc++.so.5 (gcc 3.0.x .. 3.3.x) not found, install ... done
    libtiff.so.3 not found, install ... done
    **** It seems Qt library is not installed, or X display is not accessible.
    **** Custom Qt library will be configured for use with this package.

However Ubuntu continues by loading the Unified Driver GUI installer.

Then it is just a question of following prommpts, reboot and everything works,

Ignore the point above trying to install from the live cd because when you get to the point where you need to do sudo ./install you haven't set up a supervisor password- it's obviously too late for my brain!
    Hope you have success.

Beans

Thank you again for all of the help......there was, however, no joy when I tried to print after booting up from the disk. It did not even have a printer listed when I checked.

I'm betting that the unrecognized user message is key to this one.. I have my handy dandy Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference now (by Keir THomas)...I'll read it cover to cover....do a search around for the specific error after I am more fluent in the lingo of Ubunto...and see what i am able to come up with.

At the least, there is a Linux users group at my local ISP this coming Wednesday night and there are several folks there who have been using linux for years. If I am able to find the solution I will post it up for all to see.

Thank you again.

Craig

Beans

Update.....last night I was able to unzip unified driver package with the help of a few folks at our Linux computer users group at Hal-pc here in Houston.

I had my box with me, but didn't hook up the printer. After using the command that Tweddledee suggested.....gzip -dc <file>.tar.gz | tar xf -..............an install actually worked with what has been described. Yeah!!!!! That is the good news.

The bad news is that the printer, while fully recognized, will still not print anything.....

There is now a difference in the problem.....

When I go to System/Admin and then highlight and click on the printer icon, the window pops up...in the window are two icons. One is for the CLP 300-spic printer and the other is for the SCX-4100.....the clp-300 popped up and became the default printer when the integrated driver package was unzipped and the GUI prompts were followed. The trouble is that I do not have, nor have I ever had, a CLP 300-spic printer connected to the machine.

I changed things to make sure that the SCX-4100 is the default printer. It now will print, but not properly, when I do a test page. The result is the following

INTERNAL ERROR - pub
    POSITION: Ox16b296 (1487510)

SYSTEM : H6FW/os_hook

LINE : 1276

VERSION : QPDL 1.22 12-02-2003

Does anyone know what this means?

Thank you,
    Craig

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tayroni View Post
    I'M BACK!!!

And today I'm installed intrepid ibex and I had problems (again) with the Samsung SCX-4200. On intrepid there is the same usb-related problem on hardy: The driver software by SAMSUNG looks for the usb device on /proc/bus/usb/00*/00*, but all software is ported to look only on /dev/bus/usb/00*/00*.

But, the same manual for hardy cannot be followed by intrepid because
    /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh was updated.

To reenable support on /proc/bus/usb/00*/00*, add yourself to the groups lp, lpadmin and scanner:

sudo adduser your_login_here lp
    sudo adduser your_login_here lpadmin
    sudo adduser your_login_here scanner

and edit the file /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh. ADD THE LINES:

#
    # Magic to KEEP /proc/bus/usb working
    #
    mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
    domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
    ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
    mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

right below the line

domount devpts "" /dev/pts devpts -onoexec,nosuid,gid=$TTYGRP,mode=$TTYMODE

Finally, reboot.

HAPPY INTREPID TO YOU!!!
    I just went ahead and tried to follow these directions.......surprise, surprise...still not quite there. I am not sure how to really go about doing this.

I didn't have any difficulty adding myself to the groups listed. I was already part of two of them since I am root...

When it comes to the next step and editing the file I don't know how to do this.....

I am pasting what I did and the results below....

craig@benedictisanass:~$ sudo adduser craig lp
    [sudo] password for craig:
    The user `craig' is already a member of `lp'.
    craig@benedictisanass:~$ sudo adduser craig lpadmin
    The user `craig' is already a member of `lpadmin'.
    craig@benedictisanass:~$ sudo adduser craig scanner
    Adding user `craig' to group `scanner' ...
    Adding user craig to group scanner
    Done.
    craig@benedictisanass:~$ cd Desktop/UnifiedLinuxDriver.tar.gz
    bash: cd: Desktop/UnifiedLinuxDriver.tar.gz: Not a directory
    craig@benedictisanass:~$ cd Desktop
    craig@benedictisanass:~/Desktop$ cd cdroot/
    craig@benedictisanass:~/Desktop/cdroot$ ls
    autorun Linux
    craig@benedictisanass:~/Desktop/cdroot$ linux
    The program 'linux' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt-get install user-mode-linux
    bash: linux: command not found
    craig@benedictisanass:~/Desktop/cdroot$

Help Please......

Craig

Beans

I'll start with the funny icons....I have attempted to include, 31 according to the submission error message which I am now editing to 8...just trying to show my appreciation and excitment here..editing proceeding now......
    :

:

Now the language.........

Thank you, thank you thank you, thank you...for allllll of the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is up and running!!!!! Atleast the printer is.....I won't try the scanner for a few days and then I'm betting I will be back..

But, for the time being....I am a happy man....my spousal unit has promised to put away the lash for a few days.....

Booooooo Yaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

I'm not exactly sure what I did, since I really don't understand what it was that I did. I pretty much followed the advice of Tweedeldee and Yahs...then got some help in a local group....then re-read the entire thread.....then...finally.....as I was pulling my thinning hair out, I went back and read the directions about adding a new printer.

The printer had been recognized all along, so I thought that I didn't need to do anything else. The appearance of the printer that I don't have was also an issue that I did not understand.

So I went in and deleted both printers. Then, as per instructions (I know RTFM), I clicked the new printer button and Ubuntu immediately recognized the SCX-4100.

The little icon in the upper right side of the desk top popped down a little window that told me the printer was added and there was a configure button.....I clicked the button.

Then I just looked at everything in the configure window, which looked good enough, and I tried the good ole smoke test (I ran the test page)....badda bing badda boom.....It be workin....It be workin

Thank you again to all who have contributed to this thread

I will redouble my efforts to learn about Ubuntu and look forward to being able to contribute to the community.

Craig Clark
    Houston, Texas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Noticed the referral to the older printer driver at the Samsung site as well. Using a CLP-500 I started with the described way and had quite some issues doing so. Indeed unpacking was tricky and also the printer (although connected) was not found. At some point after trying a lot I did look at a newer printer (with the 3.x driver offered for download) and grabbed that Unified Printer Driver. To my suprise the CLP-500 (file CLP-500splc.ppd) and many more are in there as well. So I installed this (after removing the older one I picked up at Samsung) and everything worked fine fo me. Installed both the Splix and the SPL(C) version even to find in general the Splix looks better (but photos awful) and the SPL(C) gives a better result for photos (although very grainy). Tried the Smart Panel as well, but that did not work and seems mainly to give information about cartridge levels (?!). Printer works fine since (although picture quality stil somewhat disappointing and I do miss this print booklet option).

Beans

Craig,
    Glad to see you have had success.
    Can you post some info on your solution and the error message?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yahs View Post
    Craig,
    Glad to see you have had success.
    Can you post some info on your solution and the error message?
    In the words of my 7 year old...it must have been "majic"....lolol....

In all seriousness: Following tweedledees' directions properly, and the help of you and others provided the information necessary to fix the problem of printing.

I am so inexperienced at using command line script that I was not even properly entering the code to begin with.

As you have noted, the difference with the problem specific to my machine and printer was the error message that remains a mystery....I will ask again about it at this Wednesday nights user group over at my ISP and see if anyone can come up with a reason. I will post up what we find and then try and post a step by step method and explanation of what I did so that everyone can see it.

In the end, as I said, the solution was pretty much contained in this thread. It boiled down to poking around, trial and error and persistence.

Perhaps tweedledee can explain the error message....I am thinking about sending him a PM, but he tells us not to do so in the intial post and he has been updating periodically. Thoughts?

Craig

Page 22 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast