Page 13 of 104 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Quote Originally Posted by ajtomasik View Post
    what is IPP and LPD? i am new to linux
    Protocols for sending data to the printer that involve a great many details I'm not that familiar with myself. In practice, all you really need to know is that when you set up the printer, you can choose several different protocols to talk to the printer, each of which uses a slightly different method and requires slightly different information, and that most printers only work with some subset of the avialable ones. This is more-or-less equivalent to selecting a "port" when configuring a printer in Windows, which combines the the process of selecting a physical port (e.g., USB or network) with the protocol (e.g., Samsung has their own Windows network protocol instead of using TCP/IP).

Beans

Also my computer will see the printer through the USB drive witch is good but when it prints it comes out with this error message...

INTERNAL ERROR-pub

i have the driver on the disk should i reinstall or do something else?

as i said i am new to Linux

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    The program is set to run as root using setuid (i.e., the +s permission is set); this is the same problem that Samsung was causing with Openoffice and xsane by default until a few months ago. I'm not sure what the program is doing that may require such access (I don't have a scanning printer), but you can try:
    Code:
    sudo chmod -s /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/Configurator
    and adding "gksu" (for Ubuntu, I forget the Kubuntu equivalent at the moment) in front of the command on the menu (right-click on menu, navigate to it, insert gksu[space] before the command). That will prompt for your password and still run the application as root, which should (but may not be) functionally equivalent. You can also try just removing the setuid permission and not running as root to see what happens. If it does work without root permissions, please report back and I'll update the original post to suggest changing those permissions.
    Thanks for the solution. I ran
    Code:
    sudo chmod -s /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/Configurator
    If I open the Configurator it gives out segmentation fault when I try to access scanner properties. However it works fine with gksu(and sudo as well) in front of the command. I changed it in the menu and now I am asked for the password, which is much better than it was before.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajtomasik View Post
    Also my computer will see the printer through the USB drive witch is good but when it prints it comes out with this error message...

INTERNAL ERROR-pub

i have the driver on the disk should i reinstall or do something else?

as i said i am new to Linux
    Which printer & protocol are you using? My guess is that you need to try a different protocol (e.g., try RAW if you have already tried LPD), or, if your model has multiple drivers (ppd files) available, try a different one from the same list. Some printers appear to work better with drivers from closely related models rather than an exact match.

Beans

@Neovos:

You can do a ls -alh /usr/lib/libmfp.so* and post here the result?

I know it's a silly thing, but ldconfig points links to last version of any library

If libmfp.so points to the original libmfp.so.1.0.1 renamed by you instead of patched version from Jacobo Tarrio, you have to repoint links to right version and move the original version of libmfp.so.1.0.1 to *another directory* (for example, your home directory) and leave in /usr/lib only the patched version.

Post here if works. If not work, you can undo moving back the original libmfp.so.1.0.1 renamed by you to /usr/lib.
    Last edited by tayroni; April 28th, 2008 at 02:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tayroni View Post
    @Neovos:

You can do a ls -alh /usr/lib/libmfp.so* and post here the result?

I know it's a silly thing, but ldconfig points links to last version of any library

If libmfp.so points to the original libmfp.so.1.0.1 renamed by you instead of patched version from Jacobo Tarrio, you have to repoint links to right version and move the original version of libmfp.so.1.0.1 to *another directory* (for example, your home directory) and leave in /usr/lib only the patched version.

Post here if works. If not work, you can undo moving back the original libmfp.so.1.0.1 renamed by you to /usr/lib.
    Before (just as you said):

Code:
    brian@Apollo:/usr/lib$ ls -alh /usr/lib/libmfp.so*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  22 2008-04-26 23:17 /usr/lib/libmfp.so -> libmfp.so.1.0.1.backup
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  15 2008-04-12 14:27 /usr/lib/libmfp.so.1 -> libmfp.so.1.0.1
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 52K 2008-04-26 23:47 /usr/lib/libmfp.so.1.0.1
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 52K 2008-04-26 22:03 /usr/lib/libmfp.so.1.0.1.backup
    After (I think when trying to repoint libmfp.so I deleted it how do I get it back? It showed up as a "broken link" after I moved the .backup file so I figured it was a symlink and safe to delete, but now I don't what to link to create a new one):

Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  15 2008-04-12 14:27 /usr/lib/libmfp.so.1 -> libmfp.so.1.0.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nevermind I got it. It works now. Good ol trash bin in "sudo nautilus."

that got libmfp.so back but it still pointed to my .backup file.

Then as per Jacobo's directions, I reinstalled all the xsane stuff and that got it to repoint it correctly.

Code:
    brian@Apollo:/usr/lib$  ls -alh /usr/lib/libmfp.so*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  15 2008-04-28 23:55 /usr/lib/libmfp.so -> libmfp.so.1.0.1
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 52K 2008-04-28 23:46 /usr/lib/libmfp.so.1.0.1
    and now xsane works and so far, has stuck. Thanks tayroni.

Code:
    brian@Apollo:/usr/lib$ scanimage -L
    device `smfp:SAMSUNG SCX-4100 Series on USB:0' is a SAMSUNG SCX-4100 Series on USB:0 Flatbed Scanner
    device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname USB2.0 1.3M UVC WebCam virtual device
    brian@Apollo:/usr/lib$ xsane
    brian@Apollo:/usr/lib$

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Neovos View Post
    Before (just as you said):

Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  22 2008-04-26 23:17 /usr/lib/libmfp.so -> libmfp.so.1.0.1.backup
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 52K 2008-04-26 22:03 /usr/lib/libmfp.so.1.0.1.backup
    After (I think when trying to repoint libmfp.so I deleted it how do I get it back? It showed up as a "broken link" after I moved the .backup file so I figured it was a symlink and safe to delete, but now I don't what to link to create a new one):

Code:
    on console

cd /usr/lib
    sudo ln -sf libmfp.so.1.0.1 libmfp.so.1

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

I have just bought a new CLP-600N (unwisely maybe - to replace CLP-550N which was getting too expensive to maintain) to run on a home network. It seems to work fine with XP and standard drivers. On my Ubuntu PC I installed the standard driver (foo2qpdl). I had trouble with multipage colour documents - after 2-3 pages the text changes from black to pale blue, red, yellow with some lines across the page. It goes OK for some pages and then repeats the colour corruption.

After reading this thread I downloaded the Samsung Unified Printer Driver and installed as per instructed with no difficulty. The driver seem to be the same and I am getting the same corruption printing from Open Office ofr Firefox. If I set the printer to print in monochrome everything seems OK. nb. The same document prints perfectly using Open Office 2.4 on XP.

I am running on 8.04 (just upgraded), printer is on 192.168.10.101.
    Is this a known problem or could it be hardware ?

(After a further experiment with a 26 page colour test document it seem that with Linux the blue component is not always being printed.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iains View Post
    I have just bought a new CLP-600N (unwisely maybe - to replace CLP-550N which was getting too expensive to maintain) to run on a home network. It seems to work fine with XP and standard drivers. On my Ubuntu PC I installed the standard driver (foo2qpdl). I had trouble with multipage colour documents - after 2-3 pages the text changes from black to pale blue, red, yellow with some lines across the page. It goes OK for some pages and then repeats the colour corruption.

After reading this thread I downloaded the Samsung Unified Printer Driver and installed as per instructed with no difficulty. The driver seem to be the same and I am getting the same corruption printing from Open Office ofr Firefox. If I set the printer to print in monochrome everything seems OK. nb. The same document prints perfectly using Open Office 2.4 on XP.

I am running on 8.04 (just upgraded), printer is on 192.168.10.101.
    Is this a known problem or could it be hardware ?

(After a further experiment with a 26 page colour test document it seem that with Linux the blue component is not always being printed.)
    I'm not sure how much hardware/software the 600 shares with the 550, but the 550 has been a problem on Ubuntu since Fiesty, and practically useless since Gutsy. When it would print at all, it behaved as you've just described. I found that with the 550, switching to a an SPL-C based driver (e.g., the 500) instead of the PS based 550 helped somewhat, but the colors were so-so and the printer was horribly slow. As the 600 is already SPL-C, you might try a related (e.g., 650) PS driver to see if that helps, but it may just make it worse.

I've recently discovered that switching to Debian made the 550 work perfectly! It turns out that CUPS and the Gnome (and possibly KDE) printing interfaces have been customized in Ubuntu; although they add benefits to the user interface (e.g., in Debian with default Gnome interface it is not possible to change the default printer name when installing), something apparently also causes a breakdown in communication with certain Samsung printers - specifically the CLP series. Unfortunately, that means your only real choice with Ubuntu is to keep trying related drivers (and generic postscript) until you find one that works. Or switch to another distro, which may be overkill for the printer alone (I did it because Hardy nearly fried - literally - one of my computers).

Page 13 of 104 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast