Page 102 of 104 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1032

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Quote Originally Posted by jis View Post
    Well, I removed all samsungmfp packages, and applied force version for samsungmfp-driver "4.00.35-2 (suldr)", and tried to install it, but Synaptic fails to install:
    Install samsungmfp-common-4.00.35-2 first so synaptic stops trying to pull in the 4.00.39-1 version, then install the driver version you want.

Beans

This information may already be here but rather than reading it all I am simply posting a link.

With later versions of linux/ubuntu most of the printers supported by the samsung unified printer driver are supported by default and nothing else is needed. for usb connected computers both printing and scanning should work. simply go into the relevant administrative/preferences/etc. for printers that is specific to your variant of ubuntu and "add printer" selecting local or network and scanning as necessary and selecting the relevant options.

If you have a networked printer then simply select the proper options and scan, then select your printer. this should enable printing. (static ip for printer works best in this scenario)

For networked printers:
    To get scanning working all you have to do is (as super user) modify the "/etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf" file to comment out the relevant usb and add the relevant ip address of your scanner. this assumes you have a static ip address for your samsung printer (mine is specifically clx-3175fw) and sane/xsane installed. here is the original link I found that gives this info that includes examples:

http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=101096.0

no need for installing or modifying tons of files, support. etc. real simple solutions.

If you are having trouble, perhaps try a fresh install of linux then add your printer and modify the scanning as necessary.
    Last edited by Flanmaster; October 15th, 2012 at 03:14 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    Install samsungmfp-common-4.00.35-2 first so synaptic stops trying to pull in the 4.00.39-1 version, then install the driver version you want.
    I did not downgrade, but re-installed the printer, and now it prints at least the ubuntu test page successfully and does not print blank pages afterwards in (L)ubuntu 12.04.

Beans

I did not downgrade, but re-installed the printer, and now it prints at least the ubuntu test page successfully and does not print blank pages afterwards in (L)ubuntu 12.04.
    I tried the same in my notebook that has Lubuntu 11.04, but it did not succeed to print test page. Samsung-CLP-310-Series and cupsd took all available CPU resources anyway. After I killed the former, printer printed the test page followed by unlimited number of blank pages; this I terminated by switching printer power off. That is, if I used IPP or LPD connection. If I had AppSocket/JetDirect connection for the printer, I did not have to kill the process. Note that in 11.04 the printer adding wizard installs Foomatic driver by default and you have to change it manually later to use SLP-C driver in printer properties.

I don't know why this did not work better in 11.04. At least the cupsd version is different than in later releases.
    Anyway, I suppose I have to upgrade this otherwise well working release 11.04, since it is not supported anymore in next month.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    I tried that. I tried installing samsungmfp-driver-4.00.35 then, but it could not install in Synaptic:
    samsungmfp-driver-4.00.35:
    Depends: samsungmfp-network but it is not going to be installed or
    samsungmfp-network-legacy but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: samsungmfp-libmfp but it is not going to be installed
    Recommends: samsungmfp-data but it is not going to be installed
    I suppose I had better try to upgrade ubuntu first and see if the up-to-date driver works there.

Beans

I tried that. I tried installing samsungmfp-driver-4.00.35 then, but it could not install in Synaptic:

I suppose I had better try to upgrade ubuntu first and see if the up-to-date driver works there.
    This happens if you do not use force version each time to install the packages you select. If Synaptic still refuses to resolve the dependencies, you can download the 4.00.35-2 packages directly and then use dpkg -i to install them.

But, as you pointed, 11.04 is almost at end of life, so an upgrade may make sense anyway.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Flanmaster View Post
    With later versions of linux/ubuntu most of the printers supported by the samsung unified printer driver are supported by default and nothing else is needed. for usb connected computers both printing and scanning should work. simply go into the relevant administrative/preferences/etc. for printers that is specific to your variant of ubuntu and "add printer" selecting local or network and scanning as necessary and selecting the relevant options.
    Theoretically, yes. (In fact, there is a page of the website on this topic devoted specifically to the idea of how to avoid installing anything extra.) 5,000+ users of these packages, many (most?) of whom have tried the direct approach first, suggests that there are still many cases where the alternatives don't work. The day all the printers do work with all features will be a great day, and I will happily retire the repository.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For NEWBIE - Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Hi there,

First, thank you very much for making this (Samsung Unified Printer Driver) much easier for us. Your efforts are much appreciated !

Now, to the issue - a newbie friend of mine ended up confused trying to follow the instruction posted here.

So here's a version of the guide, which does not need thinking just ability to copy-paste to the Terminal

Code:
    sudo bash -c 'echo "deb http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/ debian extra" >> /etc/apt/sources.list'

wget -O - http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/suldr.gpg | sudo apt-key add -

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install  samsungmfp-driver  samsungmfp-configurator-qt4

/opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/Configurator&
    Hopefully someone else will find this usefull as well.

Again, thanks for making these much easier for us.

cheers, HS

Beans

Hi tweedledee,

I'm having the same problem as wjwh with my CLX-3170 printer.
    I have tried to resolve this issue by replacing both files:

libmfp.so.1.0.1
    libsane-smfp.so.1.0.1

with the version from 4.00.35-1

Would it be possible to create a new package in your script to create a metapackage
    samsungmfp-scanner pointing to the newest version
    and a package samsungmfp-scanner-4.00.35-1 for those who having problems with the new package

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cedric_tux View Post
    Would it be possible to create a new package in your script to create a metapackage
    samsungmfp-scanner pointing to the newest version
    and a package samsungmfp-scanner-4.00.35-1 for those who having problems with the new package
    Possible? Yes. But that isn't the solution for everyone who is having trouble with the latest drivers. Sometime in the next couple of weeks I hope to have time to address the various issues that have come up in a reasonably coherent manner.

Page 102 of 104 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 LastLast