Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: R/X11 plotting error

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Beans
    400
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    R/X11 plotting error

    Hello all,

    I'm trying to teach myself how to use R, which I've installed on my Edgy-running Dell laptop. Unfortunately the plot command does not work. If I type,
    Code:
    plot(x,y)
    I get an error message,
    Code:
    Error in X11() : could not find any X11 fonts
    Check that the Font Path is correct
    Google didn't come up with much help, so does anyone have any suggestions for how to solve the problem? I don't think I've done anything to modify xorg.conf from the default.

    Thanks in advance,

    -- Joe

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wyoming, USA
    Beans
    484
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: R/X11 plotting error

    The problem is due to R looking in the wrong place for fonts. See the post below:

    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...8&postcount=14
    This looks nothing like my signature...
    My Page

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Beans
    400
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: R/X11 plotting error

    Quote Originally Posted by akniss View Post
    The problem is due to R looking in the wrong place for fonts. See the post below:

    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...8&postcount=14
    Thanks! I did search the fora, but must have missed that one.... has anyone reported this as a bug that should be fixed?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wyoming, USA
    Beans
    484
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: R/X11 plotting error

    Quote Originally Posted by WebDrake View Post
    Thanks! I did search the fora, but must have missed that one.... has anyone reported this as a bug that should be fixed?
    Perfectly understandable that a forum search didn't help in this case. It is quite difficult for all of us R users to figure out what exactly we should use as search terms! I'm not sure if this has been reported as a bug or not... I know it has been discussed at least twice on these forums, as well as in the R lists. I guess I'm not sure where the problem originated... with R? Xorg? Edgy? Maybe LaserJock can figure out who should be notified, He seems to stay on top of things like this.
    This looks nothing like my signature...
    My Page

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Beans
    400
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: R/X11 plotting error

    Quote Originally Posted by akniss View Post
    I guess I'm not sure where the problem originated... with R? Xorg? Edgy? Maybe LaserJock can figure out who should be notified, He seems to stay on top of things like this.
    Well, as far as I can see, the error was in xorg.conf, which contained wrong path names for font locations.

    While we've got a moment, since I'm a novice R user, can you suggest any useful resources for learning/becoming proficient with R, besides the main website's documentation?

    Thanks again,

    -- Joe

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wyoming, USA
    Beans
    484
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: R/X11 plotting error

    There are some good links here:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...367#post717367

    If you are willing to buy a book to learn R, I HIGHLY recommend Modern Applied Statistics with S by Venables and Ripley.
    This looks nothing like my signature...
    My Page

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Beans
    400
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: R/X11 plotting error

    Quote Originally Posted by akniss View Post
    There are some good links here:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...367#post717367

    If you are willing to buy a book to learn R, I HIGHLY recommend Modern Applied Statistics with S by Venables and Ripley.
    Fantastic! Thank you very much.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •