Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO : Joystick/Gamepads under Ubuntu

Beans

Re: HOWTO : Joystick/Gamepads under Ubuntu

You're welcome

Even if the doc isn't perfect ( not like french one who really is : http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/materiel/joystick ), it's a good start.

Maybe I'll try to re-take it on official wiki, but... err... this thing is ugly, I never have been able to find anything in official wiki

Beans

I have a problem. I'm running snes9express and as soon as i set up a joystick my roms wont open. It gives me an error with what looks like the config file. any help would be appreciated.

Beans

Hi.

are you runing a linux 32 or 64 bit ???

If 32bits, then try Zsnes, very very great emulator...

(well, I'm gonna test snes9x and I will edit this message later)

Beans

I just installed zsnes, much better. I should of installed it in the first place.

thanks

Beans

Then launch modconf in sudo (It's better to run it with a maximized window) :

Code:
    sudo modconf
    You will then land on a COMPLETE list of all modules loadable. Get in the folder "joystick", and you will see all joystick driver available !
    Sorry for being a noob, but I need some help. I found the driver I wanted to install (screenshot 1) and a message popped up (screenshot 2) to "enter command line argument" and I don't know what to type in. Could you (or anybody) help?

Screenshot 1:

Screenshot 2:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Wink Re: HOWTO : Joystick/Gamepads under Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tsuchinoko View Post
    I have a problem. I'm running snes9express and as soon as i set up a joystick my roms wont open. It gives me an error with what looks like the config file. any help would be appreciated.
    Hey tsuchinoko,

I had the same problem, it wouldn't read my ROMs, so I uninstalled it and tried another package -- ZSNES from the Synaptic Package Manager.

Unfortunately the version in the SPM is 1.42, but ZSNES at least was able to read the ROMs and everything seems to be working well.

Also, I've found that jscalibrator and joystick packages actually made my gamepad not work -- the directional pads functioned after I uninstalled the packages -- so if all else fails try not using those things or these instructions. Worked for me!

[EDIT: ZSNES 1.51 (the newest version) can actually be found in an easy-to-install .DEB package from www.getdeb.net]
    Last edited by Shpongled303; July 18th, 2007 at 07:55 AM. Reason: found a new version

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi,
    How make a game pad work in a game with Wine?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by El Flavio View Post
    Sorry for being a noob, but I need some help. I found the driver I wanted to install (screenshot 1) and a message popped up (screenshot 2) to "enter command line argument" and I don't know what to type in. Could you (or anybody) help?

Screenshot 1:

Screenshot 2:

Hey El Flavio !!!

Good you make it till there.

The "argument" are somthing in the module, some of them needs argument to work (like joystick_port=1 in some audio-card modules...)

To know what argument is possible (it's NOT an obligation !!!), type MODINFO :

Code:
    $ modinfo gamecon
    filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-lowlatency/kernel/drivers/input/joystick/gamecon.ko
    license:        GPL
    description:    NES, SNES, N64, MultiSystem, PSX gamepad driver
    author:         Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@ucw.cz>
    srcversion:     E9508FFBB83734FF64902FC
    depends:        parport
    vermagic:       2.6.20-16-lowlatency SMP preempt mod_unload 586 
    parm:           map:Describes first set of devices (<parport#>,<pad1>,<pad2>,..<pad5>) (array of int)
    parm:           map2:Describes second set of devices (array of int)
    parm:           map3:Describes third set of devices (array of int)
    parm:           psx_delay:Delay when accessing Sony PSX controller (usecs) (uint)
    the "parm" things are your arguments. "array of int" means "row of entire numbers"...I can't help you better since I don't know exactly what you need...

gottferdamnt => Wrong topic... We talk about gamepads and modules (once you've tested it and worked with at least 1 game, the topic has done it's work...), not about games... you should search a bit in forum, I'm sure you'll find your happiness !!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by adam0509 View Post
    FOUND IT

jscalibrator gives real values to kernel, that's why it don't works.

ALL GAMES will works on Kubuntu, because of the joystick calibration thing give emulate value (it gives 32000 with my sidewinder gamepad, where jscalibrator will give "1"...)

SO, JUST INSTALL :

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kcontrol
    And it will work with ALL games !!!

EDIT :

That works well with the joystick package too :

Code:
    sudo apt-get install joystick
    jscal -c /dev/input/js0
    then you can : "man jscal" and "man jstest".

Code:
    jstest
    Verify that jstest takes values likes -32767 / 32767 !!!!

Hey
    many, many thanks.
    The D ring on my sidewinder hasn't been working since i reinstalled a month or two back, tried alot of things all to no avail.
    Kcontrol did the trick for me, so back to SuperTux from the arm chair
    Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hey Great Tutorial thanks for the Heads up. will be Implementing this with my Logitec Digital Sidewinder extreme Pro Pad

Thanks Jolly Swagman
    http://www.smoothwall.org The Ultimate Firewall Protection
    Registered Linux User #443664/ Ubuntu User # 15195
    /Ubuntu 8.04-64bit-Desktop/Server-i386+Fluxbox/ PCLOS2008+Gnome /VMware-Sever - Mandriva2008/Arch -64bit /DSL-4.3/Slax-6.06

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast