Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ubuntu and the Humanities

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu and the Humanities

Quote Originally Posted by teejay17 View Post
    Wow, does Transana ever look cool. I hope more people get interested as well.
    I don't have the qualifications to do this, however...
    Is it available in the repositories?
    Transana is pretty nifty. It's been first developed to run on Windows, then on MacOS. But since it's in Python, it also runs on Linux. The only issue that's problematic seems to be with video players and codecs which are platform specific.

It's in no repo whatsoever. In fact, the Linux version doesn't officially exist. But the code is on Sourceforge, and there's nothing to be compiled.

It's developed at a university, and apparently, that university is wanting to get money for the program now. Used to be open source (and the source is still open, in fact). So, I don't know what's the author's plans, and how much I should advertise this program here. But I would sure love some knowledgable people to take an interest and give the developer a hand with the few things that have to be adapted for Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have a Ph.D. in Tibetan Studies. I have been using Ubuntu since November 2007, when my college in Taiwan gave me a laptop with Chinese Windows installed on it. I also use Latex with Tibetan and Sanskrit packages. I have recently upgraded to hardy and I am having some trouble with my Tibetan package. I will post on that later with full details. Meanwhile I just want to say that with Ubuntu, I get up every morning feeling happy to be alive!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by soro2005 View Post
    It's developed at a university, and apparently, that university is wanting to get money for the program now. Used to be open source (and the source is still open, in fact). So, I don't know what's the author's plans, and how much I should advertise this program here. But I would sure love some knowledgable people to take an interest and give the developer a hand with the few things that have to be adapted for Linux.
    Hi, I'm the author of Transana, and can comment on that.

We started charging because the grant funding that allowed us to do the initial development and distribution of Transana for free ended several years ago. Our funders were interested in helping us get started, but the program is mature enough now that they're no longer willing to fund our ongoing work.

Developing Transana is not cheap, and the project has to bring in *some* money to pay *some* of the expenses or I will have to move on to a different project that I can get other forms of funding for. We're definitely NOT making any profit on this software, but we can't afford to support and develop the program completely for free.

As for a Linux version of Transana, it's possible. There are a couple of C routines that would need to be compiled, which I haven't been able to get to compile right. Then, we need to do whatever is necessary to package the program for distribution. I'm happy to work with someone who's interested in helping out here, but it's not something I'm likely to get to by myself in the near future.

Hope that helps,
    David

Beans

Hi there:

I am a Ph.D. candidate (ABD) in the Department of Spanish & Portuguese at the University of Iowa
    I have been working with Linux for 10 years, first with Suse then Ubuntu.
    I also have a very old laptop for my daughter working with VectorLinux.

I use to work with Kile. A program to work with Latex. And I use a MLA package that it is available on the Internet. I am able to reproduce the MLA format without wasting my time and my papers look great. I keep a bibliographic database with JabRef.

I am also a big fan of DropBox in order to keep a reliable backup and when I have to read something on the internet I always use Readability.

To learn new languages, Anki is a great tool.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have Master's in English. Also I am learning Finnish now, because I moved to that country from Russia a year ago. I still try to provide some language lessons for my students in Russia over skype.
    And i am totally new to Ubuntu. Can anybody advice some useful software?

Beans

Hello everyone i am new in this site but i read this topic and now i am get the information about Ubuntu and the Humanities.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123