Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What other "kind" of geek are you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

What other "kind" of geek are you

So apparently it's already amazing that we are computer/linux geeks. How else would you describe your geekery?

(in order of most effect on my life)
    -I'm a computer geek, but I could care less about hard ware and more about software.
    -I'm a web geek. I love websites. I don't really have anything important enough to say on the internet... but I love making websites. So I end up making websites about nothing.
    -I'm a tech geek. I got the pda, and the bluetooth headset, and the mp3 player, and the laptop, and the tablet and the... sometimes I forget all the little misc tech stuff I have.
    -I'm a comic book geek. I have a tattoo of the Phoenix emblem on the back of my neck. I used to work at a comic book store.
    -I'm a gamer geek. I used to be a hard core gamer geek, I'd keep up with everything, all in the reign of the PS and everything... but it died down and went down the list. Now I just kinda play. More than video games though, I REALLY like board games (like Talisman? Anyone know it? And Civilivation?) and card games (yes I played Magic: The Gathering. I was paid partially in M:tG cards when I worked at the comic book store, no lie).

I'm supposedly a guy's "dream" because I'm a geek in all these ways, but when they find out I'm not a geek in another way (I will never see the reason for me to have 2gb ram) guys suddenly think I have failed them. Or when I don't play WoW (I lost my soul to FF11 and worked hard to get it back, I can't risk it again). What are the other geekeries that make the guys swoon?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What other "kind" of geek are you

Glasses.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

- I'm what I call A Duck on the Pond Geek (also known as a closet geek): In real life, I don't even mention anything about computers at all, not that i'm not afraid to, just doesn't ever cross my mind unless i'm with people that are into that sort of thing. My appearance is not one of a geek either, no glasses, normal clothes, I don't wear Linux T-shirts or anything. But when you look underneath me, when I get on the computer, i'm kicking a mile a minute.

I am trying out some crazy new thing that may be complicated to get working, screwing around with old software and new, and have a undying passion for the command line at times. There are just some things that I need to use it for, because for me, its faster. However I'm no elitist I am extremely friendly but may have some views of things, but will not look at others differently for choosing different routes. But when i'm off the computer, I'm just your regular good looking 20 year old guy.

- Gaming as I know it: I am very very picky about gaming, I'm not like most people when it comes to games, I really observe them, their community, their support for other operating systems, they have to support at least Linux, Mac OS X is great too if supported since I really like Mac users and their OS, but my favorite is obviously Ubuntu/Linux .

I wasn't always this picky about games though until I developed what you call a inspiration to sometime soon be able to get a team together and develop high quality open source Linux games to prove a point and have alot of fun doing it, and create a inspiration for more of the same from others that have overlooked it. But thats just a dream. It would definitely be cool though if that happened and viola, Ubuntu Games is born. Wouldn't that be cool .

---

So that about raps it up for me, I guess I'm more of a visionary, I have ideas and dreams, geek ones.

And Daynah, you might be a guy's dream hehe. Many computer guys would love to be around a computer savvy girl. I think thats kind of the guy geek's dream though, but I'll save that for another time, so to be continued: Inside the mind of the Male Geek: What they want. Hahaha, could be something you could throw on the Discovery Channel. Pretty funny.

Hope to hear more from other people, to see what kind of geek YOU are. And don't be shy, theres a little bit of geek in just about any person thats touched a piece of electronics.
    Last edited by Malikith; December 1st, 2006 at 01:04 AM.
    Linux Registered User #354470 | Ubuntu Registered User #9965

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

mmm, i would say pragmatic geek. i just want to have the best available os.

Beans
    Hidden!

I assume most geeks think of themselves as closet geeks. I'm the kind of geek who loves geeky things, but is socially very outgoing. So in a word: a consultant.
    It's all about people

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I like to consider myself an athletic geek as I am into bodybuilding, writing novels and of course computing.

Beans

Computer Geek: When my friends or family have computer problems (sometimes their family or friends as well), I'm the one who gets called. I'm in no way an expert, but they seem to think I am.

Music Geek: I love music. I love playing music and listening to music. I don't keep up with it as much as I'd like to...but when I have the time, I hope to get a band back together. I played trumpet in school, but I've taught myself some basic bass, guitar and drums.

Tweak Geek: I like to work with my hands. Whether its carpentry, circuit work, painting or whatever. I built my end table, coffee table and entertainment center in my living room; I sanded and refinished a guitar and I'm working on a second and planning a third. After that, I may try building my own from scratch (at least the body).

Comic Book Geek: I used to read comics and especially loved the trading cards.

I do a lot of things that, once you get to know me, you know I'm a geek or a nerd...but people who don't know me that well don't pick up on it yet.

Beans

I'm a computer geek, I really do prefer making/working with software over hardware. I'm also a gamer geek because I could not go a month without games; I've been playing since I was two years old, literally!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

History geek....mmm Ren Fests

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

• Car geek- My truck has a Corvette engine)
    • Japanese geek- I like anything and everything Japanese, and I take a traditional Japanese swordsmanship class

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast