Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm writing...

Beans

I'm writing...

..a series of guides and articles. Yes, yet another user doing the same thing, etc etc. I'm trying to write a bunch of guides that are, for the most part, directed at brand new Linux users; but I'm trying to make the guides contextually rich. Too often, we give directions to newbies, and they follow them...and then they come back for help, again and again for similar things because they fail to grasp the concept of what they're doing. So basically, my guides are geared towards new users that actually want to learn how to use Linux, not just use it as a Windows replacement.

I got this idea after I started converting users to Linux. They would come back to me again and again for help instead of using their resources. So I decided I'd put as much knowledge as possible into a nice little readable book/website, and give that to them instead.

I've finished writing the first draft of the first article in a series called "Switching to Linux". I want to share this with you now, and get some feedback. General feedback, and then on some specific things that I'll ask you about. (at this point, I feel compelled to say; please read the entire post and the article before commenting)

I've divided my article up into sections, or "pages" rather. Each "page" is separated by a dotted line. I'm writing it in an online word processor; eventually, this will turn into a website/pdf file. This first article is titled "Switching to Linux, Part I: Evaluating Your Decision"; it's about deciding whether one really wants to try Linux. What I've put into it comes from knowledge I gained while poking around the forums, and I'm sure I took a bit of it out of some articles and posts of our member aysiu. I'd appreciate feedback; I know this article isn't exciting at all, but its the first and perhaps most important one. Thanks.

[LINK REMOVED] If you want to read the first chapter, go back to the new thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=448312 ) and read both chapter one and 2 from that location. I pointed people to this thread to allow them to gain an understanding of the project.

This is just the first draft. I haven't even done a second reading of it yet, I just finished typing it (started today as well ) so there might be a number of grammatical errors and such. And it might not be official enough for your taste, either; but I dunno. I'm just spitting this stuff out right now.

Here are the specific things I want to ask you:
    1. I tried to keep this article short while informative; I undoubtedly missed some things. What do you think I missed that should have been in there? (mostly resolved, still open to suggestions)
    2. Did you notice any blatant mistakes or fallacies?
    3. Can you please point me to some sort of recent compatibility/known-to-work lists of wireless cards and webcams?
    4. On the hardware page (2), I listed four devices that people have trouble with; are there any other devices that give people a lot of trouble, that I forgot to mention?
    5. Eventually, this will be a website and pdf book. The banner across the top is something I threw together really quickly using Inkscape. I'm not a great graphics designer as you can probably tell; Is this good enough for me to use? (If someone is bored, alternative submissions are welcome

Sorry about the way it looks; its just a first rough draft.

I added a variations of the image below, which I think looks better than the one in the document. Please tell me if any of them are good enough to use or if I should try again, or get someone else to do one for me? Most importantly, answer the questions I asked. Any other feedback would be great too.

Thanks a lot, you guys rock.

PS: As I update the document, the page I link to automatically gets updated as well. So if you suddenly see a new section that wasn't there before, that's why.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by maniacmusician; May 19th, 2007 at 04:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: I'm writing...

I'm not entirely sure a brand new Linux user would want to read a whole lot. A quick-start guide would be a bit more helpful, I would think.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
    I'm not entirely sure a brand new Linux user would want to read a whole lot. A quick-start guide would be a bit more helpful, I would think.
    While quickstarts are good, education is the final answer, or they will always feel foreign to the environment.

I strongly encourage this project, and will try to keep tabs on it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

But does a truly intuitive interface really require reading paragraphs upon paragraphs of text? I didn't have to read much to learn Windows, and I'd hardly call that interface intuitive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIdiotThatIsMe View Post
    While quickstarts are good, education is the final answer, or they will always feel foreign to the environment.

I strongly encourage this project, and will try to keep tabs on it!
    Thank you.

I'm totally aware that a quick-start guide would be more ideal for new users; however, as I mentioned in my first post, this is geared towards users that really want to learn how to use Linux, and use it for a long time; without running to me or someone else for help everytime something small goes wrong. I want users to be able to help themselves, and really know what they're doing. As TheIdiotThatIsMe (do you want a name-change? ) put it, I want to really educate them. Quick-start guides already exist.

I like the way I put it in my "logo"; "Understanding Ubuntu: We write Guides, not walkthroughs"

edit: mushroom, its not really about the interface. It's about installing linux yourself, choosing DEs and knowing the difference between what you choose, knowing what you'll need to do to adapt, how to use your resources, etc. I appreciate your opinion on this, but I've decided to go this way for sure, with a full blown guide. I just want observations on what I've written.
    Last edited by maniacmusician; January 13th, 2007 at 04:13 AM.

Beans

I'm going to follow this so far so good. Keep up
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raul_ View Post
    I'm going to follow this so far so good. Keep up
    thank you.

BTW (by the way), I'm not going to respond to every post I was just posting to say that I've already started on the rough draft of part two. I'll make modifications to part one when the suggestions start rolling in, or if I come up with more ideas. I'll start a second thread for part two in a couple of days after I've gotten enough feedback on this one.

thanks.

edit: if you guys wouldn't mind, please answer the questions that are in my post. Even if you don't have any suggestions, there's things like the logo which I need feedback on, and I asked for links and information about certain things. Please?
    Last edited by maniacmusician; January 13th, 2007 at 04:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

One thing that I don't agree with is the bit about video cards in Linux. You say that ati don't release open source drivers but nVidia don't either. Also the nVidia open source drivers are very young right now so the ati open source drivers currently are superior. IMHO

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Ohh and printers are another piece of hardware that people have trouble with.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pay View Post
    One thing that I don't agree with is the bit about video cards in Linux. You say that ati don't release open source drivers but nVidia don't either. Also the nVidia open source drivers are very young right now so the ati open source drivers currently are superior. IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by pay View Post
    Ohh and printers are another piece of hardware that people have trouble with.
    done.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast