Thread: Testing Herd 2 Now!

Beans

Testing Herd 2 Now!

Please download and test:

Download the latest daily build for testing from one of these locations:

Live CDs: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Xubuntu
    Alternate CDs: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Xubuntu
    DVDs: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu

See the test matrix pages for test variants: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Xubuntu and and general instructions here.
    Last edited by Henrik; January 11th, 2007 at 01:05 PM. Reason: added xubuntu
    Henrik Nilsen OmmaUbuntu QA Team Lead

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: Testing Herd 2 Now!

LiveCD: Xubuntu
    AlternateCD: Xubuntu

Test matrix page: Xubuntu
    Last edited by maxamillion; January 11th, 2007 at 10:58 AM.

Beans

Yes, of course feel free to test Xubuntu as well (or any other derivative). The core dev team has traditionally not focused on testing it because we don't officially support it. But part of the point of doing this forum-based testing is to expand the scope!

Beans

https://launchpad.net/~jani

Jani, the head developer of Xubuntu is in the Ubuntu Core Developer team. And Xubuntu is listed as a related project on the Ubuntu homepage. Xubuntu meta packages in main.

I think it's supported

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by i_m_meen View Post
    https://launchpad.net/~jani

Jani, the head developer of Xubuntu is in the Ubuntu Core Developer team. And Xubuntu is listed as a related project on the Ubuntu homepage. Xubuntu meta packages in main.

I think it's supported
    And we shouldn't be ignored so much

Beans

It is supported in the the sense that Canonical supports the growth and development of Ubuntu and since packages are in main they will get bug fixes during the supported life time of a release. However, Canonical does not offer commercial support on Xubuntu as a stand-alone solution, though other service providers may choose to do so.

This is the same status that both Kubuntu and Edubuntu had before they gained commercial support offerings, so it's nothing strange. And it should not deter anyone from testing it

Personally I like Xubuntu very much and I'm good friends with Jani. It has a good potential as an accessibility solution for example.

Beans

This is the same status that both Kubuntu and Edubuntu had before they gained commercial support offerings, so it's nothing strange.
    Reasonable enough. But the previous post said only about support, not commercial support.

Furthermore, does this mean that Canonical is backing Kubuntu and Edubuntu too? At least about Kubuntu, this is new...

Beans
    Distro

Angry Re: Testing Herd 2 Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    It is supported in the the sense that Canonical supports the growth and development of Ubuntu and since packages are in main they will get bug fixes during the supported life time of a release. However, Canonical does not offer commercial support on Xubuntu as a stand-alone solution, though other service providers may choose to do so.

This is the same status that both Kubuntu and Edubuntu had before they gained commercial support offerings, so it's nothing strange. And it should not deter anyone from testing it

Personally I like Xubuntu very much and I'm good friends with Jani. It has a good potential as an accessibility solution for example.
    So why wasn't it mentioned to be tested?

Beans

Because traditionally it has not been a focus because we were already swamped. If people step up to test it that's great! I can add it to the list

Did you sign up for testing Xubuntu here?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    Because traditionally it has not been a focus because we were already swamped. If people step up to test it that's great! I can add it to the list

Did you sign up for testing Xubuntu here?
    No, because I need my computer and cannot burn CDs That's why I want Xubuntu to be tested by other people, but if it's not in the list...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast