Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gnome 3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Gnome 3

Is there any concrete info on what will be in GNOME 3, or when it's planned for some eventual release? With KDE 4 coming out (hopefully) this year, I was wondering what GNOME would be adding to remain competitive.
    Registered Linux User #438830 | Registered Ubuntu User #10897

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Gnome 3

There is no real reason for GNOME 3 yet, small upgrades to GNOME 2 upgrading it and making it better is good enough.

http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointZero

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If GTK ever implements GTK+ 3.0, that might be a good time to change the version number for Gnome. Doesn't look like it'll be any time soon.

http://www.gtk.org/plan/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There are no plans for a GNOME 3.0 release at this time. The GNOME community believes that regular, reliable, iterative improvements are more important to our users than ground-shaking major releases, and that we can more comfortably deliver major features -- when they're ready -- in our regular, six-monthly releases.
    We made a substantial API/ABI break for GTK+ and GNOME 2.0, which was a massively beneficial change for our platform, and has allowed us to maintain a stable branch for a significant period of time. We're still deriving enormous benefit from the break and the stability. As such, we do not plan to do the same again soon.
    • A major rewrite or API break won't provide any benefit to our users, contributors, or independent developers creating software based on the GNOME platform.
    • A major rewrite or API break is not at all necessary to achieve our goals for or enhance active development on the GNOME experience in the forseeable future.
    • A major rewrite or API break won't have a positive impact on the broadening ecosystem around the GNOME platform, such as activity around mobile and embedded device development with GTK+ and GNOME.
    Well, I guess that explains it all.
    Registered Linux User #438830 | Registered Ubuntu User #10897

Beans

I read in this month's Linux Format that they're just starting with 2.16, so plans for Gnome 3 probably won't be arising for a while.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

It'll happen when they realise how good KDE4 is going to be and how much catch up work they will have to do*. The ability to run on OSX and Win XP is a killer feature for KDE4 and could sway control of the OSS desktop back in their favour. They are also annihilating most of the most annoying problems in KDE. No longer will everything begin with K, Arts is finally going to die and never come back, a serious UI shake up is planned to simplify things.

Fortunately for GNOME they could port large chunks of the KDE4 system into their own without much difficulty. For example I don't think Phonon depends on anything in QT and could be ported as the standard audio API for GNOME without untangling a mass of KDE built around it.

Really I'd like to see both put a lot of effort into Portland though.

*this depends on the GStreamer team stabilising their API so a Phonon plugin for it can be built.

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't think gnome is going to break their promis just because something "might" get more publicity then them, at this point I can guarentee you it probably wont happen.
    -Patrick
    let the strings lead you

Beans
    Hidden!

kde4 > gnome3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by fuscia View Post
    kde4 > gnome3
    <gasp>

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick-Ruff View Post
    I don't think gnome is going to break their promis just because something "might" get more publicity then them, at this point I can guarentee you it probably wont happen.
    I agree, some users seem to care a lot more about this alleged "competition" between Gnome and KDE than the developers do. Gnome is doing fine and there's nothing wrong with more gradually upgrading. They seem to have some nice stuff of their own planned such as the built-in compositing capability in Metacity. I don't see why they would feel the need to rush out a release just because KDE is getting a major overhaul.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast