Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Linux From Scratch

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Linux From Scratch

I tried it but I didn't get too far, a couple tarballs failed to extract and I was like "screw this" and just went back to gentoo (in case you can't tell I REALLY like gentoo) so in short why not try gentoo?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chris200x9 View Post
    I tried it but I didn't get too far, a couple tarballs failed to extract and I was like "screw this" and just went back to gentoo (in case you can't tell I REALLY like gentoo) so in short why not try gentoo?
    Because gentoo won't let me customize my file system structure, so I can have my applications in /Applications and such.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

LFS seems to be working just fine as long as you follow ALL the instructions TO THE LETTER. I think my big problem was that I used GParted to make and format the partition, and so then the default mke2fs program didn't work right. Oh, yeah, and the instructions for fixing PTYs (in the FAQ) works just fine.
    Registered Linux user #481459

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Kopachris View Post
    LFS seems to be working just fine as long as you follow ALL the instructions TO THE LETTER. I think my big problem was that I used GParted to make and format the partition, and so then the default mke2fs program didn't work right. Oh, yeah, and the instructions for fixing PTYs (in the FAQ) works just fine.
    cool. I'll try it then. in vbox
    danger! brain at work.
    Unity Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by jd65pl View Post
    Has anyone had a go at the Linux From Scratch project? I'm going to give it a go and was wondering about other peoples experiences and time scales for achieving a working system.

I think it will be a good learning curve and hopefully provide me with a system that is perfect for my needs.

J
    I've gave it a try. In fact, in my sig, you'll use that user number!
    *LFS USER #20429*
    My SLAX.org Profile
    *USER OF GENTOO!*

Beans

Look into GoboLinux
    if (linux == choice) {lsb != linux;}
    else {linux = windows;}

http://one.xthost.info/aios

Beans

I wouldn't recommend this just for learning purposes. If you wanted to use LFS as a blank Linux system, from which to build a distribution I would say sure... but otherwise you can customize any distribution of Linux to da** near rediculous point. GNU/Linux distributions have always been about customizability, and freedom of choice. You can easily take Slackware, Arch, Gentoo, Ubuntu minimal, or Debian netInstall and create a completely customized Linux installation. Using LFS to do this same thing reminds me of trying to use a hammer to kill a gnat.
    if (linux == choice) {lsb != linux;}
    else {linux = windows;}

http://one.xthost.info/aios

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fistfullofroses View Post
    Look into GoboLinux
    Already did. I like the file system, but package management is horrible there imo. That is why I want to go LFS, so I can use libalpm and pacman with the filesystem structure I like.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I wouldn't recommend this just for learning purposes. If you wanted to use LFS as a blank Linux system, from which to build a distribution I would say sure... but otherwise you can customize any distribution of Linux to da** near rediculous point. GNU/Linux distributions have always been about customizability, and freedom of choice. You can easily take Slackware, Arch, Gentoo, Ubuntu minimal, or Debian netInstall and create a completely customized Linux installation. Using LFS to do this same thing reminds me of trying to use a hammer to kill a gnat.
    I would've based my distro off of Ubuntu, but the removal of some things was just too messy. Plus, I didn't particularly want all those "ubuntu" version numbers floating around (you know, like "4.2ubuntu05"). It's just too messy. Thus, LFS and BLFS. (and HLFS, too)
    Registered Linux user #481459

Beans
    Hidden!

You bring up an interesting point, namely, LFS and source based operating systems are fine for people who have the time.
    I don't usually recommend them, because personally I find them impractical and too time-consuming.
    However, some people do actually have the time, and even prefer to do things from a very basic level.
    There's much to glean from using LFS, certainly, but it's not for everyone- only those who can 'afford' it, I'd say.
    ..and the writing's on the wall,
    but the walls have all come down,
    if you can't see past the truth,
    I love to let you down..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234