Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Tutorial] Wizard101 on Ubuntu - Detailed

Beans

Smile [Tutorial] Wizard101 on Ubuntu - Detailed

The Tutorial

Welcome to my first tutorial on Ubuntu forums. In this wonderful tutorial (lol) I will be showing you how to run and install Wizard 101 perfectly, with no problems. Wizard 101 is a Windows based game, not a Linux or Macintosh game. Why? Well programming on a Windows operating system is easier than Linux and/or Mac. Also, the majority of the world is Windows based. However, Linux has a secret weapon called Wine! Wine basically allows you to enjoy Windows applications/games on your Linux operating system, perfectly (sometimes). Lets get started on installing Wine and setting up Wizard101!

Note: You will be asked to enter your "root" password, in order to install Wine.

Installing Wine

1. Installing Wine - Install Wine first.

sudo apt-get install wine wine-utils

2. Configuring Wine - Do this after installing Wine.

winecfg

Make your configuration of Wine like this.

Installing Wizard101

1. Download Wizard101 - Need this in order to play & install.

Use MediaFire if Wizard101.com cuts you off.

2. Open your newly downloaded .zip file and extract the .exe.

3. Right click on the InstallWizard101.exe and select "Open with Wine Windows Program Loader."

4. Read & follow the instructions when you open the InstallWizard101.exe. Set your settings like the screenshot below. (Hardware Cursor should be unchecked)

Make sure your settings are somewhat like this.

5. Wait for patching to finish and finally enter your username and password, then click "Play." Now you're done .
    Last edited by wieman01; January 16th, 2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Link to download site

Beans

Re: [Tutorial] Wizard101 on Ubuntu - Detailed

bump

Beans

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

jhfire,

Stop bumping your tutorial or I will need to close it. This sort of behavior is frowned upon.

Beans

Thanks for this tutorial, it actually works.
    This is the first time I've been able to get a windows program to work in ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For some reason when i play wizard101 everything works fine except sometimes the charcter rendering is horrible. My character looks fine when im alone in a room or so, but when im accompanied by other users or computers it just becomes a large mesh of a mess.

And why would you bump a tutorial thread? If someone needs this tutorials it can be searched easily.
    When you first dont succeed, google- google again

Beans

This is Michael Haws, Thomas' son. Using this tutorial on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS the Lucid Lynx worked.Thank you so much.=D>=D>

Beans

I installed Wizard101 as you described and it worked well for a week, now, however everytime I try to open the game and press PLAY it goes to the initial LOADING screen and the computer freezes and I have to reboot. Any ideas?

Beans

I right clicked on the InstallWizard101.exe and chose "open with Wine Program Loader".

A box popped up saying, "Click PLAY to put Wizard101 on your computer.

The installer did it's thing and put an icon on my desktop called, "Play Wizard101.desktop"

When I open it, it says, "Untrusted application launcher" and just a cancel button.

I went into the Permissions of the file and checked the box "Execute: Allow executing file as program". This turned the desktop icon into the Play Wizard101 swirly graphical icon.

Now when I open the file nothing happens. Nothing.

Help!

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Welcome to my first tutorial on Ubuntu forums. In this wonderful tutorial (lol) I will be showing you how to run and install Wizard 101 perfectly, with no problems. Wizard 101 is a Windows based game, not a Linux or Macintosh game. Why? Well programming on a Windows operating system is easier than Linux and/or Mac.
    Sorry for the OT, but I lol'ed...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast