Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Show Us Your Server

oh yeh and i also have a
    77mhz 16mb 500mb hard drive lol id send you a pick but its not in a case
    This is the dumbest error I found in bios
    "Error Keyboard Failure Press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup
    Amd Athlon 64 2800+, 1gb Ram, ATI Radeon HD3650 512mb, Western digital 160gb Segate 80gb, Gigabyte GaK8NS ,Cameron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

A pic of my server itself is pretty dull but some rather like the room as a whole - it isn't quite as impressive as it's been in the past, used to have 4 machines 24x7 which required the A/C run all the time. (Have a mini-split unit mounted to the opposite wall.) It's also a bit of a mess - really ought to tidy things up some day...

The three shots are a pan across the "interesting" walls. I have everything in the walk-in closet of my office (back bedroom). I mounted a few punchblocks that I scarfed from our old office as we moved out. The top one is for the phone lines, the bottom two are LAN jacks I've installed in various places about the house. I cut a hole in the ceiling and dropped a piece of pipe down from the attic to run the cable.

Gig-E switch, 100MB switch, Vonage, cablemodem, Slackware firewall box all sit on the upper shelf. Dell PowerEdge server contains a 1TB RAID mostly for serving up movies and music. The printer is on the network as well. The Trane box is an old version of the building automation stuff I work with. That one was a leftover from somewhere, now it does a few things for my house.

I also have a PoE cable running out to my wireless AP which works much better in a different location.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

My server, and the majority of my network hardware, lives in my basement on (or under) the "pantry overflow" table (as you can see by the bottle of Gatorade and the boxes of Annie's Mac & Cheese.) From bottom to top, there is:

-My fileserver, which I just upgraded to Dapper from Breezy last night. It features a Pentium II @ 300 MHz, 128 MB of ram, and a 160 gig IDE HDD. It doesn't do anything more intense than share music and files to my LAN, so it's get plenty of power- and considering it was 20 dollars at the MIT Swapfest, I'm not complaining.
    -My IPCop firewall, which is running off an old dell laptop with a broken screen- it runs surprisingly well, considering how beat up the lappy was when I got it off my boss. It also runs an openvpn vpn server, which allows me to bypass the site filter they have set up at school.
    -A Netgear 5 port 10/100 switch
    -Cable modem (die, comcast, die)
    -The hardwired port providing ethernet for the rest of the house- one of those wires runs to the attic, where there's another Netgear switch, a wireless AP, and another set of hardwired ethernet ports for all the upstairs rooms.

I set most of the infrastructure up when I was 12, and it's served me well ever since.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linuchsan View Post
    hkgonra, this hole (the second picture, and first dell to the left) cooling problems, looks like a extra fan hole.
    Nope a hidden spot for dual USB ports.
    These came with those systems but Dell covered them up.
    "The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe
    the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Spano View Post
    Nice rig hkgonra, is that in your house? What are you doing over there,
    contract work for Oak Ridge?

That is work but all my servers are there mixed in with work stuff.
    "The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe
    the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Beans

Cool Cambo', some of those parts look familiar!

I've posted a few shots of my server, w/station, general office mess, just for the fun of it!

The big ugly tower is an old file server from an accountants firm whose business I was lucky enough to do a total office hardware upgrade on. I got to keep the replaced computers & peripherals, & this particular AT case I converted to ATX & have been using for years now, with a variety of different contents. It has heat pipe cooling on the AMD 64/3500 cpu, & on the 6800 GT graphics card, the main noise comes from the 2 x 35gig, 10,000rpm raptors, to a lesser degree the 80gig 7200rpm maxtor boot drive & any others that may be in the drive draws (unusual these days).

NOISE!

I'd be interested in any quiet hard drive mounting solutions that anyone has found? I'm thinking of building a wooden storage box for them...

Sorry Cameron, I'm not trying to derail your interesting thread.

The 2nd machine is used for testing different distro's when one takes my fancy. Great for reading a how-to post, whilst doing it on the other machine, or visa versa.

All good fun...

[Edit:] I just noticed the Adam's Family / Munster's, cobwebs in my room, via the pictures, lol, you can only see them with a flash!
    Last edited by handy; January 9th, 2007 at 08:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 4.10

Red face Re: Show Us Your Server

OK, here is Zen, he lives in the garage (because of noise and heat) and chugs along 24/7 storing all our downloads and giving us Internet.

Sorry about the blurry photos, my wife keeps dropping the digital camera!

Just about EVERY capacitor has been replaced on this old P4VMM2 mainboard, they are renown for dodgy caps! Note the bodge jobs on the odd sized caps, and the parallel "tree" arrangement of 3x1200ufs when I couldn't find any suitable replacements.

It actually works like a charm, and is incredibly stable. You just have to be careful not to move them too much while it's turned on .

EDIT: handy - we used to sell those cases, they are VERY sturdy, the only problem being the very heavy and cumbersome one piece lid which I see you have removed
    Last edited by kvonb; January 20th, 2008 at 08:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Yeh Handy some of those parts may look familiar but the mother board i found at the back out my house and i actually paid for that hard drive (thats the only part) (well dad did anyway)
    This is the dumbest error I found in bios
    "Error Keyboard Failure Press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup
    Amd Athlon 64 2800+, 1gb Ram, ATI Radeon HD3650 512mb, Western digital 160gb Segate 80gb, Gigabyte GaK8NS ,Cameron

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kvonb View Post
    OK, here is Zen, he lives in the garage (because of noise and heat) and chugs along 24/7 storing all our downloads and giving us Internet.

Sorry about the blurry photos, my wife keeps dropping the digital camera!

Just about EVERY capacitor has been replaced on this old P4VMM2 mainboard, they are renown for dodgy caps! Note the bodge jobs on the odd sized caps, and the parallel "tree" arrangement of 3x1200ufs when I couldn't find any suitable replacements.

It actually works like a charm, and is incredibly stable. You just have to be careful not to move them too much while it's turned on .

EDIT: handy - we used to sell those cases, they are VERY sturdy, the only problem being the very heavy and cumbersome one piece lid which I see you have removed
    Yep, the cover is a pain, (AT territory).

I used to sell KTX stuff supplied from Newcastle too... Interesting story when they folded, looked a bit fishy happening just when GST was comming into our country?!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Not sure if this counts... as it sits on my desktop.

I has some server hardware in it, an AMD Opty, 15K SCSI hard driver, etc...

It doesn't run any web server of any sort... but it is always up and ssh server is always running. (I ssh back to home from school, work, etc...)
    Registered Linux User #404403 - Ubuntu User #19426

Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast