Thread: Is Edgy Safe Yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Is Edgy Safe Yet?

I remember back when Edgy was first released all the people who updated were complaining about things being broken and they had to either do a fresh install or went back to Dapper.

Have these issues been fixed yet?

I run Edgy on my home computer and things are going good now and I want to update my work computer from Dapper to Edgy but I don't want to fight with getting it installed correctly and I can't afford the down time of doing a fresh install.

So, is Edgy safe yet?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Is Edgy Safe Yet?

works fine for me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

No problems occurred yet! I run Edgy-amd64!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Luggy View Post
    I remember back when Edgy was first released all the people who updated were complaining about things being broken and they had to either do a fresh install or went back to Dapper.

Have these issues been fixed yet?
    This is not really true, when each release comes many threads are opened about problems with the upgrade because it's not always easy for some users to perform an upgrade but most of us didn't get any problems with edgy.

Keep in mind that only persons with issues post support requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Luggy View Post
    run Edgy on my home computer and things are going good now and I want to update my work computer from Dapper to Edgy but I don't want to fight with getting it installed correctly and I can't afford the down time of doing a fresh install.

So, is Edgy safe yet?
    I suggest you to just make a ghost of your partition thus you can run the update eyes closed and restore your partition with your ghost image if you're not happy with edgy.

You can use partimage for example :
    http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page
    Last edited by frodon; January 8th, 2007 at 04:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Fluxbuntu

I haven't had any problems with the upgrade. I upgraded my Desktop & 2 of my laptops from Dapper to Edgy with no problems. I lost my RAID when I upgraded the desktop but that was most likely a goof on my part. I got it back up in a day or so and life is good.
    Thy soul shall find itself alone ‘Mid dark thoughts of gray tombstone – Not one, of all the crowd, to pry Into thine hour of secrecy. ~Poe

Ubuntu User # 8993 - Linux User # 433735

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Works flawless for me. The AMD 64 one was just plain awful, though. I downgraded to the normal version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

if you have installed things from custom repos, used automatix/easyubuntu, installed software not from repos (eg installing newer versions of firefox) then you may get problems during the upgrade.

also make sure you have the ubuntu-desktop package installed.

it is recommended that you use
    Code:
    gksu "update-manager -c"
    this does some extra check to try to help things go smoothly.

make sure you read https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EdgyReleaseNotes

i think some people still suffer problems with swap partitions not being recognised, have a look in launchpad for solutions.

and finally make sure you have a back up.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I had issues because A) I used command line update B) I did an offline update. If you're doing it online using the GUI, you'll be fine. I think at the time there was a little bit of "Gnome's not quite right yet.." but that was fixed within 2 days or so.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Fresh install FTW