Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Distribution in Kenya?

Beans

Re: Distribution in Kenya?

Alexmoon if you manage to read this before you leave the country, please give details on how you can be contacted. I have tried checking you at both Fairview hotel and Methodist guest house in vain.

Beans

Hi Guys!

That '10 users max' estimate may not be THAT accurate. I am an Ubuntu user (since 5.04 - serial upgrades all the way to 6.10). I got my first Ubuntu CD from a pal of mine (all I wanted was a linux cd). There could be a couple of fellows like me - quiet Ubuntuers.

I'm thrilled by the existence of a Kenyan Ubuntu forum. Actually, when I came to this site, I was coming to CREATE one.

I like the idea of creating an 'apt-on-cd' repository for things like multimedia codecs. I usually update the packages on my Ubuntu laptop by lugging it all the way to a LAN with internet, then sitting through hours of painfully slow downloads. For the Desktop, i've had to go through the pain of manually moving .deb files, then sorting out the dependencies manually. Ouch!

Is there anybody working on it now? if there isn't, i will volunteer for the job.

Cheers!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I agree with dnyaga there are probably hundreds of linux users out there especially on servers. Linux (and opensource in general)is also popular with college and univeristy students particularly those in IT related courses.

there are a few companies that support open source in kenya i know of 2, www.openworld.co.ke and www.circuitspackets.co.ke.
    Last edited by zsh; February 14th, 2007 at 05:35 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zsh View Post
    Linux (and opensource in general)is also popular with college and univeristy students particularly those in IT related courses.
    Actually at the university where I am, we have this huge room that is supposed to be a computer lab but still has RJ45s hanging out from sockets. This is where students with laptops do go to browse and I know of a handful who have downloaded Ubuntu related stuffs. Right now I have managed to collaborate with one student with a laptop that can write ( I don't have one of my own) so that we be downloading some of them.

I'm now asking those who need downloads to give their specifications as we will look into this, right now I have just downloaded edgy but haven't yet got a machine to run it on.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by davehat View Post
    I think Ronald has copies in NBO. I only have the 64bit version right now. I have 6.06 for i386 somewhere I think... If you're interested, PM me.
    Hi everyone,

I've been trying to download Ubuntu for the past 2 weeks now, but every download ends up with an unmatching checksum. Each download takes about 2-3 days with the slow net speeds and breaks in the download process.

Would anyone be having a LiveCD of ubuntu-6.10-desktop-i386

I'm based in Mombasa and if any of you have a copy, I wouldn't mind sending you a blank CD to make a copy for me.

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by bizres View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've been trying to download Ubuntu for the past 2 weeks now, but every download ends up with an unmatching checksum. Each download takes about 2-3 days with the slow net speeds and breaks in the download process.

Would anyone be having a LiveCD of ubuntu-6.10-desktop-i386

I'm based in Mombasa and if any of you have a copy, I wouldn't mind sending you a blank CD to make a copy for me.

Regards
    Hi,
    I have both 6.10 desktop and also 6.06.01. I could get a few LiveCD coming to Nairobi via a friend but only in about three weeks(latest mid April).-Anything you want: ubuntu, kubuntu Edubuntu etc.Just stay put and we'll communicate later for mailing details once all is ready.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I was downloading 6.10 at a cyber, and the guys there applied 'ghost' to the computer coz of viruses. This resulted in deletion of the download..

I was wondering 2 things:
    - Where in Nairobi I can get Ubuntu 6.10 free
    - How hard it is, to become a distributor

Beans

Hi I have the ubuntu 6.06 Lts and in Nai if any one's interested just send me a line at muragurikay@gmail.com I'll hook you up with a free copy. I'm also looking for more cds to sambaza to guyz so if you have any please hook me up

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Contemplator View Post
    I was downloading 6.10 at a cyber, and the guys there applied 'ghost' to the computer coz of viruses. This resulted in deletion of the download..

I was wondering 2 things:
    - Where in Nairobi I can get Ubuntu 6.10 free
    - How hard it is, to become a distributor
    It should be easy to get a 128 kbps of internet via one of those special phones that Popete and Flashcom offer. I heard its around $50 per month for unlimited 128 kbps[24/7].
    Educate men without faith and you make them clever devils
    Educate men without Linux, then yeah, the opposite happens
    Let Chakra guide the way
    U.3F

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by zsh View Post
    I agree with dnyaga there are probably hundreds of linux users out there especially on servers. Linux (and opensource in general)is also popular with college and univeristy students particularly those in IT related courses.

there are a few companies that support open source in kenya i know of 2, www.openworld.co.ke and www.circuitspackets.co.ke.
    I am one of those quite ubuntuers, but have now joined the ubuntu forums to make my contribution, i am a freelance web developer and have configured ubuntu server to run mail, web and proxy servers on several machines. I love the idea of creating and avenue of distributing ubuntu CDs and would love to contribute, i have all versions (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu & Ubuntu CE ( Christian edition) ) from Hoary to the beta release of Feisty, am in eldoret and if you want one get in touch i will toast you one.

Just want to bring to your attention the launch of www.osskenya.org which aims to create an online community of Kenyan open source users of which i am a co-founder and webmaster, the site is still fresh ( has the default drupal theme) and needs a lot of improvement, content and input from the community ( i intend for every member to have a blog space on the site), check it and give me your suggestions...
    Last edited by njukey; April 5th, 2007 at 09:31 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast