Thread: Continuum (aka Subspace) and Ubuntu

Threaded View

Beans

Continuum (aka Subspace) and Ubuntu

Edit: These instructions may get the game working for you, but I found out a much better way! And posted it.

Howto: Get Continuum (a.k.a. Subspace) to work with Ubuntu.

Wow I just learned that I can play my favorite game - ever - on my newly installed Ubuntu. Woot!

For those of you who haven't heard of this game, it's wiki describes it as such:

SubSpace is a two-dimensional space shooter computer game published in 1997 by Virgin Interactive Entertainment (VIE). This freeware game incorporates quasi-realistic zero-friction physics into a massively multiplayer online game.

To let you know how I installed it. I downloaded wine from the Synaptic Package Manager. Ran winecfg in the command line at my home directory and didn't change anything.

Then followed the instructions at

Continuum-wine

They've made a custum Ubuntu deb just follow the instructions.

You can change the screen resolution to whatever you use now and it works perfectly well. I use 1280x800 and I really like it.

A couple notes for me because, I think, the MacBooks aren't supported well in Ubuntu Edgy.

A game windowed doesn't work. I have to run it full screen.

Sound doesn't work. I have an issue with the ALSA drivers
    ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory
    that I could not figure it out.

I got a libjack warning when doing winecfg, I was able to fix this though I don't remember exactly what I did. However, I don't believe it has anything to do with getting the sound working???

Just click on the continuum.sh script to run continuum.

OH, and BTW --- POWERBALL RULEZ --- hardmode
    Last edited by Gen2ly; January 16th, 2007 at 02:52 AM.