View Poll Results: Should Automatix be included in Ubuntu by default?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

46 37.70%
  • No

76 62.30%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Automatix be included in Ubuntu by default?

Beans

Re: Automatix "misinformation"?

I also have been using Automatix a lot and have never had a problem. But I also, as someone else mentions, never upgrade but do a clean install.

I know that I have heard about Automatix breaking systems, but I somewhat have the feeling that it is old news. It has been a really long time since the last time that I heard about this. And that WIKI entry, saying that it will often break your system seems very exaggerated.

What all if this comes down to: It seem like and old conflict which has escalated to a certain point and now no-one is willing to take take the first step down even though it has been a long time since it was actually going on.

It actually really bothers me that something like this exist in the Ubuntu-community, that is otherwise such a warm and friendly community. *sigh*

So come on. Someone, take a deep breath, step up to the plate and lets end this old thing. Arnieboy, come on remove that quoted part of your WIKI. Come on, someone who was originally involved on the "Ubuntu" side, remove or rewrite that "often"-section from the Ubuntu WIKI and stop threatening to kick people for recommending AUTOMATIX in the #ubuntu channel.

Please

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    arnieboy (Automatix's creator) has been known to not get along with everybody...
    That's very true. First time I tried it, I had problems and casually mentioned the fact. The reaction I received from the creator was not very nice, and was eventually removed from the forum.

Since then, Automatix has improved a lot and I tried it with a new installation and it worked well, so now it's the first thing I do after an install (before I've done anything 'important', this may or may not be significant...)

I've had no problems with it recently, and recommend it. I suspect the FUD being spread is as a result of arnieboy upsetting a few people (myself included, although I'm not petty enough to try and spoil things for him. He's contributed a lot to the community, and doesn't deserve that, whatever his attitude.) during Automatix's early days.
    Some people say I'm a man of few words, but the fact is that most people talk too much without actually saying anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I have used automatix without problem, but then, I have not tried any kind of dist upgrade yet.

Beans

I think it stems from the old days where the force flag was used. Issues like these have been sorted. It seems to work well for lots of people. Last time I tried it was a while back with dapper, I did have a issue though not that I could remember what it was and posted on their forums. I just installed stuff myself.

I would prefer a list of packages to add for the codecs etc so i could do it myself. The wiki is to disorganised for my liking.

Beans

While I won't ever be using it, as I like complete control over installation of packages, I do support it as a tool for new users who may not feel comfortable learning the command line right away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I still use automatix for installing extra fonts, it's so nice to have all those font's installed with the click of a button. It saved me when I was a new frustrated ubuntu user and didn't know where to look around for stuff. I still use bleeder to install GTweakUI. After fresh install number "MANY" it's nice to have all these things you need install with a few clicks.
    Ubuntu Unofficial Click And Run Software | Ubuntu Gamers Arena
    -----------------------------------
    A Hooker From Minneapolis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I read the warnings about Automatix and thus avoided it. For a half year I muddled through installing apps and drivers/codecs. I finally did a fresh Edgy install on my new laptop and figured I had nothing to lose. It worked beautifully. Saved me time and effort.

I recommend it to anybody that will listen now. It makes the linux experience for the novice much more painless.

Beans

I half recommend not using automatix because then you learn yourself, and I half recommend you don't use it because I haven't had good experience.

Most of the time I would say user error, for example http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=329794

Nethertheless... I don't like the idea of http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=329879
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

There is a wide range of different views on this one. Personally, I think that those agitating for automatix to be included in Ubuntu would be better off steering users to Linux Mint or PCLinuxOS. If you really want things to be simple for the novice, find them a distro where it just works without having to do anything as "complicated" as using Automatix. Sure, PCLinuxOS has smaller repositories, but if you can't use Synaptic or "sudo aptitude install" in the first place, who cares how big your repositories are?

And yes, I'm being deliberately provocative.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've used automatix for a while now and I've never had any problems with it.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast