Beans

Re: Xubuntu, default Email Client

Quote Originally Posted by TuxCrafter View Post
    Development reports and lists
    Testing reports
    Debug reports
    etcetera

Than we can begin this week.
    If the process is good, i will maintain the ubuntu package for a while!
    Good things may come out of this! So,

You have the MLs for general questions/ideas etc : http://www.claws-mail.org/MLs.php
    Bugzilla: http://www.thewildbeast.co.uk/claws-...illa/index.cgi where you can report bugs and RFEs
    daily CVS snapshots (updated 3 times a day): http://www.claws-mail.org/snapshots/
    Buildbot reports : http://buildbot.colino.net/logs/ (it tests minimal build, full build, make dist/install), and full plugins build/dist/install)
    CVS tracker: http://colino.net/claws-mail/
    Last edited by colinleroy; February 27th, 2007 at 10:13 AM. Reason: forgot cvs tracker

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by graabein View Post
    How does Sylpheed compare to Thunderbird and Claws Mail? I would think Sylpheed is more mature than Claws Mail but I might be wrong. Anyone willing to explain?
    Claws-Mail used to be Sylpheed-Claws, a patched-up bleeding-edge version of Sylpheed, so by now Claws-Mail is supposed to be ahead of Sylpheed at least in terms of features available. Back in the sylpheed/sylpheed-claws days, being an end-user quite often using plain Sylpheed seemed to be a better solution if you cared about maturity / stability of the code, but, right now, given that Claws-Mail is a piece of software on its own, I think at least from the stability/maturity point of view they're on par.

Cheers,
    Kristian

Beans

Smile Re: Xubuntu, default Email Client

Thanks for clearing that up Kristian. I did not know Claws Mail was a fork of Sylpheed.

I personally use webmail but for those who have experience with both Claws Mail and Thunderbird I suggest giving detailed feedback to the Claws devs now that we've got their attention. Good luck to everyone!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by graabein View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up Kristian. I did not know Claws Mail was a fork of Sylpheed.
    You're welcome. I made my first experiences with sylpheed in early 200, I guess, when searching for a replacement to XfMail which has an easy-to-use interface and provides for powerful filtering rules without having to go through procmail and friends.

I personally use webmail but for those who have experience with both Claws Mail and Thunderbird I suggest giving detailed feedback to the Claws devs now that we've got their attention. Good luck to everyone!
    For what I experienced so far (on the s-c mailing lists earlier), the Claws developers overally are just a kind bunch of people who never hesitate helping users out given they're in trouble. Discussing the inclusion of claws-mail as xubuntu default mailer, however, seems to have been rather "emotional" at times, leaving facts and comparisons aside and mainly focusing on "bashing" weaknesses exposed by the one or the other application.

As an end-user, I do not really care given that I can install whichever program I want from the package repositories. For what I see, however, given that Xubuntu is supposed to be a lightweight version of Ubuntu, probably most of the discussion is pointless - in terms of being lightweight, Thunderbird probably is far beyond being a good choice...

Cheers,
    Kristian

dlpfmVfH is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

The new Claws-mail for ubuntu now including feisty packages

www.claws-mail.org

Add this to /etc/apt/sources.list:
    For 6.06 Dapper:
    deb http://www.claws-mail.org/ubuntu/dapper/ ./
    For 6.10 Edgy:
    deb http://www.claws-mail.org/ubuntu/edgy/ ./
    For 7.04 Feisty:
    deb http://www.claws-mail.org/ubuntu/feisty/ ./

he packages are signed, add Colin's key to your APT keyring, using sudo apt-key add colin.publickey

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This is what I think is still missing in Claws to kick TB's behind:
    * Full HTML compose and display support (and the ability to choose the default render engine)
    * GUI cleanup (icons, colors and 'screen clutter', maybe call in an interface expert from somewhere???)

Stability and additional features will develop itself when the userbase grows and bugreports / feature requests start coming in. Also a wider userbase will probably attract more developers...

Feisty may be a bit too soon, but v7.10 should definitely be achievable...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by h.aling View Post
    This is what I think is still missing in Claws to kick TB's behind:
    * Full HTML compose and display support (and the ability to choose the default render engine)
    * GUI cleanup (icons, colors and 'screen clutter', maybe call in an interface expert from somewhere???)

Stability and additional features will develop itself when the userbase grows and bugreports / feature requests start coming in. Also a wider userbase will probably attract more developers...

Feisty may be a bit too soon, but v7.10 should definitely be achievable...
    ben het hier wel met je eens, maar HTML compose is niet iets wat de ontwerpers "nog" niet voor elkaar hebben, maar meer een standpunt wat ze innemen
    "het enige waar HTML in een mailtje goed voor is is het verbergen van code voor de ontvanger" kan ze hier wel gelijk in geven want het is ook een onzinnige feature,,, maar goed, aangezien ik zelf XFCE (niet Xubuntu) aan een hoop gebruikers geef is dat toch iets wat ik niet uit kan leggen,
    mijn stem gaat dus naar Thunderbird, ondanks dat Claw qua features, snelheid en stabiliteit alle andere mailers ruimschoots achter zich laat, Claws is dus niet een buggy stukje software zoals je hier voorstelt, integendeel zelfs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by LanDan View Post
    ben het hier wel met je eens, maar HTML compose is niet iets wat de ontwerpers "nog" niet voor elkaar hebben, maar meer een standpunt wat ze innemen
    "het enige waar HTML in een mailtje goed voor is is het verbergen van code voor de ontvanger" kan ze hier wel gelijk in geven want het is ook een onzinnige feature,,, maar goed, aangezien ik zelf XFCE (niet Xubuntu) aan een hoop gebruikers geef is dat toch iets wat ik niet uit kan leggen,
    mijn stem gaat dus naar Thunderbird, ondanks dat Claw qua features, snelheid en stabiliteit alle andere mailers ruimschoots achter zich laat, Claws is dus niet een buggy stukje software zoals je hier voorstelt, integendeel zelfs.
    Speak english, please....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

echt geniaal lekker in het nederlands lullen op het forum hi hi

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TuxCrafter View Post
    I also the look of the program does not really appeal.
    did you try other skins? The default gtk theme is ugly in any application. I'm using the TangoClaws theme and it's really neat
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast