97 60.25%
  • Mozilla Thunderbird

64 39.75%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu, default Email Client

Beans

Re: Xubuntu, default Email Client

Quote Originally Posted by TuxCrafter View Post
    ...snip...I find it not yet ready for a production machine there are to many things that just do not behave as aspected...snip...
    I won't ask you to defend all your statements, but what did not behave as expected?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

First of all i don't agree with you, in my point of view claws mail is as appealing as easy to interact as thunderbird. It's layout is very similar with thunderbird outlook, and evolution. Probably it has more options and maybe it requires a little more time to set up

the look of the program does not really appeal.

second point i think that it can make your work faster because claws mail is twice faster than thunderbird and doesn't has so much memory leaks. I have an AMD k6-450 MHZ and while thunderbird drags itself, claws mail works wonderfull

But it will not make me work faster or better, so no reason to switch over.
    While featuring in feisty thunderbird and claws mail at the same time, that is not an option since ubuntu does not include gui applications that can do the same task.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I will gather some feedback and will make my stand over a week or so with more information.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just to say in this matter that i submitted this issue, on the Ubuntu launchpad, i hope that someone, picks this up:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubu...nt-replacement

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My feedback as promised:

There is no thunderbird import or export function for filters, email, and adressbook.
    If the connection with the IMAP server falls away the program stops responding.
    Opening of attachment is not asking to open with a default application, you have to set it yourself.
    If you select a message of big size, and then select a new message, the program keeps fetching the big message and then after that it goes to the new selected message.
    The program is unstable it is stops responding frequently.
    Customizing of the too bars doesn't work as expected, I can't add a button in the toolbar to be able to fast change the language.
    When the program starts it does not go automatically to the inbox of my IMAP folder, I set this in the preferences but I doesn't do it.
    There is a slow response when a message is send, and the program should go back to the main window.
    Removed IMAP messages get the color gray and a cross flag, very annoying.
    I had the manually set every folder to disable treated view mode, and sort on date, with more then 30 folders this is very annoying.
    Personally I can't get used to the quoting system but that is something personal I think.
    Icons and interface is ugly even with the TangoOrbit theme.
    To much space is used in the left tree to give information about the amount of new, new read, and total amount of message's. Use thunderbird style!
    There is no HTML rendering by the default, very annoying.

Conclusion, I think it's not mature enough in the sens of usability and intuitive GUI design.
    Follow the gnome specifications of icons and gui layout and get some help with usability issues.

Beans

There is no thunderbird import or export function for filters, email, and adressbook.
    A one-time operation should not clutter the menus. There is a script to convert a thunderbird mailbox available in the tools/ directory of the distrubuted tarball, it is also available from the Claws Mail site.
    If the connection with the IMAP server falls away the program stops responding.
    It will reconnect, and keep trying until the user settable timeout is reached.
    Opening of attachment is not asking to open with a default application, you have to set it yourself.
    Not true. It uses the system's mailcap file, or this can be overridden by the .mailcap file in the user's homedir. To open an attachment you use the Open contextual menu item, (or double click the attachment's icon), to use your default application for that mimetype. You can also use the Open With... menu item to be presented with a list of apps to choose from. From this dialog you can use one of the items in the list or write another into the entry box, choosing whether to save this app for this mimetype, (and so having it written to ~/.mailcap), or just using it the one time. So, it does use the default application, or you can set a new default yourself.
    If you select a message of big size, and then select a new message, the program keeps fetching the big message and then after that it goes to the new selected message.
    Claws Mail is quick. On my system, which is not high-spec, if I select a message with a fairly large body of text, (1.72 MB), it is displayed before I even have a chance to select another message, i.e. in less than a second. Maybe you can explain better what you tested in order to reach your conclusion.
    The program is unstable it is stops responding frequently.
    Maybe you can explain what you mean by 'unstable' and 'stops responding' here, because in my experience it is not.
    Customizing of the too bars doesn't work as expected, I can't add a button in the toolbar to be able to fast change the language.
    This statement appears very subjective, it, of course, depends on the user's expectations.
    When the program starts it does not go automatically to the inbox of my IMAP folder, I set this in the preferences but I doesn't do it.
    There is a preference to go to the inbox after receiving mail, but I think you've found something here. On IMAP it does not go to the Inbox on receiving mail, (POP is fine). We'll look into that bug.
    There is a slow response when a message is send, and the program should go back to the main window.
    I don't notice any slow response, and it does indeed go back to the mainwindow. Can you explain a bit better what you mean?
    Removed IMAP messages get the color gray and a cross flag, very annoying.
    You have the option 'Execute immediately when moving or deleting messages' turned off.
    I had the manually set every folder to disable treated view mode, and sort on date, with more then 30 folders this is very annoying.
    Threaded or non-threaded view are set per individual folder, as is the sort mode. Sorting by Date is the default sort mode. You don't have to go through every one of your 30 folders at once to set it to unthreaded, you can do it the first time you have an actual need of entering the folder. Anyway, it's a one time operation, can be soon forgotten about, but perhaps it is a worthy feature request, maybe we can add it to the folder properties, which can be applied recursively, then you could select the parent mailbox and set it here.
    Personally I can't get used to the quoting system but that is something personal I think.
    It is flexible and has many available symbols, I guess it is a personal thing.
    Icons and interface is ugly even with the TangoOrbit theme.
    It's a GTK+ app, that is your personal view.
    To much space is used in the left tree to give information about the amount of new, new read, and total amount of message's. Use thunderbird style!
    The columns in the Folder List are customisable, you can hide the new, unread, and total columns and have the unread number displayed next to the folder name. You can also resize the the pane in the standard way.
    There is no HTML rendering by the default, very annoying.
    Yes there is. The standard HTML rendering is to present it as plaintext with clickable links. You can use one of the two HTML rendering plugins if you prefer.
    Conclusion, I think it's not mature enough in the sens of usability and intuitive GUI design.
    Follow the gnome specifications of icons and gui layout and get some help with usability issues.
    As is clear from my repsonses above, I think your conclusion is wrong. We do attempt to follow the freedesktop.org standards, help and suggestions on this matter is always welcome.

Beans

Has anyone else using feisty had issues installing from the Edgy repos?

Beans

I voted for Claws since I am going to try Xubuntu. I really don't care about the desktop as much as the applications. I want to get things done.

Even on my 2G box TB is slow. Cross platform is fine but at least write it so it executes quickly or optimise the code. It can be done. Don't know what they're thinking!

Just 2 irritations with Claws.

When I first tried it and had it download my imap folders, I could not find a way to stop it. On a phone line it takes a few hours. I prefer to do a bit at a time.

Second, I can't write mail in RTF. Sometimes a little emotion is need to be understood properly or to key in on certain phrases. On their web page they say it's not wanted? My question is by who? Are they trying to protect me from myself? An add-on is needed here!
    Yes, I understand the hazards of html email. But I am a big boy an can take care of myself. Besides it's my decision not theirs!

Any way it seems the best of the lot of what's available!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Joer4x4 View Post
    I voted for Claws since I am going to try Xubuntu. I really don't care about the desktop as much as the applications. I want to get things done.

Even on my 2G box TB is slow. Cross platform is fine but at least write it so it executes quickly or optimise the code. It can be done. Don't know what they're thinking!

Just 2 irritations with Claws.

When I first tried it and had it download my imap folders, I could not find a way to stop it. On a phone line it takes a few hours. I prefer to do a bit at a time.

Second, I can't write mail in RTF. Sometimes a little emotion is need to be understood properly or to key in on certain phrases. On their web page they say it's not wanted? My question is by who? Are they trying to protect me from myself? An add-on is needed here!
    Yes, I understand the hazards of html email. But I am a big boy an can take care of myself. Besides it's my decision not theirs!

Any way it seems the best of the lot of what's available!
    It seems like the majority of people want claws mail in Xubuntu. But the people in charge of the project are no willing to accept that change, and there isn't anyone, who is willing to take responsibility in maintaining claws mail with upload rights, the following entry in the mailing list is still a issue:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xu...ry/002916.html

I think that Claws deserves a little more attention.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

We mainly just need a devel to handle it ... or atleast a MOTU to sponsor it, but yes I agree that it deserves a little more attention.

#I swore we beat this thread to death long ago

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast