Thread: type cast questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

type cast questions

Hi

I've been googling for the answer to this and I'm slightly confused by the answers I'm finding. I'm trying to find a way to do casts correctly in c++. As far as I can tell you can do (from http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../cplr188.htm):

float num = 98.76;
    int x1 = (int) num;
    int x2 = int(num);
    int x3 = static_cast<int>(num);

as far as I understand it x1 is c, x2 and x3 is c++. However what's the difference between x2 and x3 and does the use of static_cast imply that there is a dynamic_cast as well, and if so what's the difference?
    Last edited by cocteau; January 6th, 2007 at 04:28 PM. Reason: forgot to enter link quote
    Mike says: "I'll treat this problem like my mattress and sleep on it."
    - The Young Ones.

Beans

Re: type cast questions

dynamic_cast can be used only with pointers and references to objects. Its purpose is to ensure that the result of the type conversion is a valid complete object of the requested class.

Therefore, dynamic_cast is always successful when we cast a class to one of its base classes:

Code:
    class CBase { };
    class CDerived: public CBase { };

CBase b; CBase* pb;
    CDerived d; CDerived* pd;

pb = dynamic_cast<CBase*>(&d);     // ok: derived-to-base
    pd = dynamic_cast<CDerived*>(&b);  // wrong: base-to-derived
    The second conversion in this piece of code would produce a compilation error since base-to-derived conversions are not allowed with dynamic_cast unless the base class is polymorphic.

--------

static_cast can perform conversions between pointers to related classes, not only from the derived class to its base, but also from a base class to its derived. This ensures that at least the classes are compatible if the proper object is converted, but no safety check is performed during runtime to check if the object being converted is in fact a full object of the destination type. Therefore, it is up to the programmer to ensure that the conversion is safe. On the other side, the overhead of the type-safety checks of dynamic_cast is avoided.

Code:
    class CBase {};
    class CDerived: public CBase {};
    CBase * a = new CBase;
    CDerived * b = static_cast<CDerived*>(a);
    This would be valid, although b would point to an incomplete object of the class and could lead to runtime errors if dereferenced.

static_cast can also be used to perform any other non-pointer conversion that could also be performed implicitly, like for example standard conversion between fundamental types:

Code:
    double d=3.14159265;
    int i = static_cast<int>(d);

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Thanks for your help.

I'll remember the pointer thing for later, which seems brilliant! I'm going the c++ learn it yourself route and is trying hard not to pick up any lazy programming habits, like ignoring compiler warnings regarding casts. I would prefer to declare my casts explicitly.
    Mike says: "I'll treat this problem like my mattress and sleep on it."
    - The Young Ones.

Beans

yeh, I did this "learn it yourself" for several languages and with some time (years), experience and reading a lot of documents, articles, etc.. it works better than taking classes
    -- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves <ggpolo@gmail.com>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

There are two other c++ casts that haven't been mentioned yet, const_cast and reinterpret_cast. This page seems to have a nice description of the 4 C++ casts: http://uwyn.com/resources/uwyn_cpp_c...dard/x629.html
    When I invented the Web, I didn't have to ask anyone's permission.
    ~Tim Berners-Lee on Net Neutrality
    -------------------------------------
    Visit the Ubuntu Programming IRC-channel at #ubuntu-programming (chat.freenode.net).