Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Programs I miss in linux

Beans

Re: Programs I miss in linux

Quote Originally Posted by saulgoode View Post
    My understanding is that the Linux version of Google Earth is basically their Windows version shipped with a customized WINE wrapper. The licensing for the program can be reviewed here.

Please note that I do not feel Google HAS to release a FOSS version of their programs, IMO, there is nothing wrong with proprietary Linux applications. I just think that, given the fact that Google has deployed around 500,000 Linux servers (the exact number is kept secret), they should have the programming resources, and releasing FOSS versions of programs like Google Earth would be a nice way for them to recognize the contribution that Free Software has made to their enterprise.
    The issue isn't them releasing an FOSS version, it's that they release it at all. The only google application so far that has been satisfactorily ported to Linux is Google Earth. And yeah, that was released as a proprietary app in binary form.

I'd like to see their apps ported too, but I don't really care whether they're open source. I prefer that, of course, and that would be better for them as it would result in a better end product, but like you, I'll take a proprietary app over nothing at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I agree completely maniacmusician

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

mainly i just miss some audio programs - things like Cubase, Reason, and Ableton... I'll have to check out Energy, but at the mo i think i'll stick to making stuff on windows!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Dreamweaver makes life so easy, works great under wine.

I'm almost getting to the point that I don't need a wysiwyg editor so will great rid of it soon.

I find the Gimp and Inkscape to be better than any windows version. The Gimp easier than photoshop and a better name!

It takes a while to fully move away but will soon be 100% free software.
    EfficientPC Ltd
    Custom built Linux based computing made simple
    Shop:http://www.efficientpc.co.uk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Which dreamweaver version works fine with wine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by saulgoode View Post
    My understanding is that the Linux version of Google Earth is basically their Windows version shipped with a customized WINE wrapper. The licensing for the program can be reviewed here.

Please note that I do not feel Google HAS to release a FOSS version of their programs, IMO, there is nothing wrong with proprietary Linux applications. I just think that, given the fact that Google has deployed around 500,000 Linux servers (the exact number is kept secret), they should have the programming resources, and releasing FOSS versions of programs like Google Earth would be a nice way for them to recognize the contribution that Free Software has made to their enterprise.
    Picasa runs in its own WINE environment. Google Earth is a QT/OGL app so runs natively on Linux. Easy mistake to make since when Google released Picasa a lot of people ran around as if the sky was falling despite Google providing hundreds of patches to the WINE project in the process.

For audio, try Jokosher. New app that has had decent reviews.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

This has been discussed before (very recently), I gave my answer in that:

What do u miss in Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I do have Office 2007 installed in my XP VMware machine and I still can't get all the fuss about it. To be honest, for my word processing needs, I find OOo 2.1 more than adequate. I didn't get all that "blue" everywhere, with big buttons on the top, remembering me when I ran Office 95 or so with a 800x600 screen res... I can barely see what's going in in my document. They didn't know what else to do with office, so "let's make it cute". Well, I would prefer a PDF converter out of the box, but maybe it's just me. Anyway, for all my *.doc compatibility problems, I have an old copy of Office XP installed in linux through Crossover, and it works just fine...

I changed to linux only a couple of months ago, but I tend to feel exactly the oposite when I am in Windows - I miss quite a few linux programs... and I can't just apt-get them...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by shanepardue View Post
    Which dreamweaver version works fine with wine?
    Dreamweaver 8.0 works out of the box with Edgy.
    http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=3482

Hasn't crashed once in 2 weeks of use. Runs better than under windows!
    EfficientPC Ltd
    Custom built Linux based computing made simple
    Shop:http://www.efficientpc.co.uk

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shanepardue View Post

3) Cubase - Audacity falls wayy short (period).
    Ardour is much better but Jack is an annoying buggy thing that spends half its life crashing.

After seeing how well macs handle music I would go that way.

I still think Windows 98 SE was the best Windows ever.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123