Thread: Quick Question

Beans
    Hidden!

Quick Question

I'm about to buy a wireless keyboard and mouse, and it connects to the computer wirelessly via USB.

Therefore, as its not using the designated keyboard and mouse ports, will the keyboard and mouse still work when i'm in the BIOS for example, and when i'm installing an OS etc?

My thinking was, that USB devices only work through an OS like when i'm in windows or ubuntu etc...

Can anyone help?

Cheers!

John
    If someone tells you to sudo rm -rf ANYTHING, then DO NOT DO IT!

Don't run any command with rm in it unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Quick Question

Yes, a USB connected keyboard / mouse will still work for BIOS level stuff. I have a couple wireless keyboards with USB receivers, and they work fine in the BIOS and in any distro.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by PilotJLR View Post
    Yes, a USB connected keyboard / mouse will still work for BIOS level stuff. I have a couple wireless keyboards with USB receivers, and they work fine in the BIOS and in any distro.
    Cool, thanks
    If someone tells you to sudo rm -rf ANYTHING, then DO NOT DO IT!

Don't run any command with rm in it unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

I am in the same situation, with a logitech mouse/keyboard (mx laser 5000 and 900) which connect over bluetooth using a usb dongle.
    They work out of the box (sometimes they don't and I go into a tty and type sudo hidd --search using a keyboard I keep underneath my desk just in case). However this keyboard works perfectly to access the bios (also when I have this problem described earlier), but it never has been able to access the grub menu!!! Not that I have had the need to access it frequently (and if I do I use the previously mentioned solution) but I think that is so strange.
    It works on bios, not on grub and then it does on gdm/login!

Anyone else has this problem? (I adressed it before but didn't receive a reply then (few months ago... ) ).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

ok make sure in your bios that usb legacy device is enabled and usb tumbdrive support is also enabled good luck
    Be ye reconciled unto God
    Gimp Tutorial http://ryanler.wordpress.com/2007/02/01/16/