Thread: problem with latex

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

problem with latex

I have used MikTeX before and I am now trying to get hold of latex in Ubuntu. First of all, I am not using Kile nor LyX. I am using the "gedit-terminal" combo. I write my tex files in gedit then compile it in the terminal. By doing so, I have no problem getting the basics (such as articles and reports) done. However, I have problems with installing new .cls files.

I am trying to use res.cls for my resume. I understand that I have to have res.cls installed. I downloaded it from CTAN and I have copy and paste it into /usr/share/texmf-tetex/tex/latex/base. However, when I do "latex myCV.tex" in the terminal, in return, I get the error message
    "! LaTeX Error: File `res.cls' not found."
    I found a way to get around it, which is to specifically state where is "res.cls". I know there must be a more efficient way to get around this, if not, I think I will have nightmares compiling a tex file with tens of additional packages/styles/fonts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: problem with latex

I suppose, that it is sufficient, but not very elegant, to put the required scripts into the directory where your .tex file is. At least that worked for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by levin View Post
    I have used MikTeX before and I am now trying to get hold of latex in Ubuntu. First of all, I am not using Kile nor LyX. I am using the "gedit-terminal" combo. I write my tex files in gedit then compile it in the terminal. By doing so, I have no problem getting the basics (such as articles and reports) done. However, I have problems with installing new .cls files.

I am trying to use res.cls for my resume. I understand that I have to have res.cls installed. I downloaded it from CTAN and I have copy and paste it into /usr/share/texmf-tetex/tex/latex/base. However, when I do "latex myCV.tex" in the terminal, in return, I get the error message I found a way to get around it, which is to specifically state where is "res.cls". I know there must be a more efficient way to get around this, if not, I think I will have nightmares compiling a tex file with tens of additional packages/styles/fonts.

Any help would be appreciated.
    run texhash and texconfig after you install a cls, sty files...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Ah.. I have missed out this documentation. Thanks for the help everyone and sorry for the time-wasting..