Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KVM switches

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: KVM switches

Quote Originally Posted by futz View Post
    That's odd that you guys are having trouble with D-Link KVM's. I've always found D-Link products to be pretty good and reliable. Guess I'll steer clear of their KVM's.

Anyway, my IOGear has been absolutely, totally reliable. Works every time. And doesn't care what operating system is on the boxes.

i have the same iogear minikvm minus the usb option. except I don't use the video portion of it either, i only use the kvm switch for it's keyboard, mouse, and audio options. i do this because my flat panel monitor has a vga input as well as a dvi input. so winbloz is using dvi and ubuntu is using vga. then on the front of the monitor I just hit 1 button and it switches the input and then on the keyboard I hit scroll lock twice and I am good to go. I love this iogear minikvm because it's so small and it includes the switching of the audio which not many of the cheaper kvm's do audio! oh, it uses ps/2 for th mouse and keyboard but I use a wireless keyboard and mouse and it still works which I have read many others stating that there wireless stuff didn't work with their kvm's so hopefully this info is useful to others. the keyboard and mouse are generic also, they are from newegg.com made by rosewell i am pretty sure. the mouse turns off after certain amount of inactivity which saves on batteries, then I just have to hit a button or move it back and forth and shes good to go again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    I have read many others stating that there wireless stuff didn't work with their kvm's
    My wireless MX Revolution mouse works perfect with the IOGear KVM.
    =======================
    Futz's Microcontrollers & Robotics
    =======================

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by futz View Post
    My wireless MX Revolution mouse works perfect with the IOGear KVM.
    I bought an MX Revolution yesterday and really like it. After reading the posts in this thread I ordered an IO Gear KVM switch. Thanks for all the good responses.

Just one question: Are you running a Linux program that gives you the functionality of all the switches on the MX Revolution, and if so, what program is it?

Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by btolle; January 26th, 2007 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Removed double signature

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by btolle View Post
    Are you running a Linux program that gives you the functionality of all the switches on the MX Revolution, and if so, what program is it?
    No. I actually haven't got all the buttons working. I was running a MX-510 before and, since I'm very very lazy, I'm still using the setup for that. The only MX Rev stuff that's not working on mine is side-scroll, the thumb rocker wheel and the search button.

Here's the pertinent part of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file:
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier     "Configured Mouse"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "CorePointer"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option         "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option         "Buttons" "7"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option         "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7 4 5"
        Option         "Resolution" "800"
    EndSection
    I suspect that could be easily modified to make the rest of the MX Rev stuff work. I just haven't got around to it yet.

Meanwhile I have the cool new scroll-wheel (LOVE IT!) and my Back/Forward buttons and I'm happy.

Here's a thread explaining how to set up the MX Rev using evdev:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ght=revolution
    =======================
    Futz's Microcontrollers & Robotics
    =======================

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

THis is probably the wrong forum for this...having said that, for just KVM and no audio (which would be nice!), this old, cheap Airlink 101 I'm using works perfectly with my Ubuntu/XP desktop arrangement.

Good tip (above) about making sure the I/O ports match what you need!
    Knows difference between vibrato and tremolo.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I use a Belkin 4-port KVM switch (not USB). Works great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12