Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why can Linux run Unreal 2007?

Beans

Why can Linux run Unreal 2007?

I recently learned that all the Shader Model mumbo jumbo is owned by MS. And I started thinking about it again. All the new games are being built "for DX10 and Shader Model 4". But with all these constant "improvements" done by Microsoft, and only for Windows, Linux games are still of the same quality (sure you can point out the lack of Linux games, but I can just as easily point out all the lack-luster games that have only recently been released for Windows. That's not the point.)

Take for example the Unreal engines. From what I understand they've been supporting Linux since Unreal 1. Supposedly Unreal Engine 3 was built to use DX10, Shader Model 4, and so on. Yet it runs on Linux in OpenGL. Why is this? Is it because OpenGL 2.0 is capable of everything that DX10 is (from what I understand, DX10 is just a heavily optimized version of DX9)?

Same thing with Id Software's games.

Is DX nothing but hype? And if it's so revolutionary, why is OpenGL also capable of doing all that stuff?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Why can Linux run Unreal 2007?

Linux games are still of the same quality
    Bwahahaha!
    Are we comparing tuxkart to NeedForSpeed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think they mean that UT under Windows is the same quality as UT under Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Re: Why can Linux run Unreal 2007?

The abilities of hardware under Linux are only restricted by lack of driver support and device spesifications. All the same things that DirectX can do can at least in theory be accomplished under Linux. DirectX is simply a layer that enables programmers to easily access these features. What we need is better support from video- and soundcard vendors so that we can leverage the features their hardware provide.

DooM3 requires DirectX under Windows but runs just fine under Linux without it AND with all the good stuff enabled.
    Eternally confused.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blueturtl View Post
    DooM3 requires DirectX under Windows but runs just fine under Linux without it AND with all the good stuff enabled.
    Kind of a stupid question, but does that mean I would be able to run D3 with DX9 effects on a DX8 card? Not that it'll run fast, but will they look the same on both cards?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

i think that doom 3 uses opengl under windows.

@russinavodka
    if u have a dx8 card then you will not be able to run dx9 effects at all.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder_ View Post
    i think that doom 3 uses opengl under windows.

@russinavodka
    if u have a dx8 card then you will not be able to run dx9 effects at all.
    When in Windows, DX acts as the middleman between OGL and the GPU. In Linux, OGL directly interacts with the video card. From what I understand.

My question was why is it that games that require Direct X 9 or 10 under windows, run just as well in Linux. Is it because OGL has it's own versions of Shader Model and what not, which are just emulated when they are run in Windows?

And as far as running DX9 on DX8 cards, I just remembered that card specifications usualy say something like: DirectX9 / OpenGL 2.0

Now, would this mean that if I had a card which didn't support DirectX, but did support OpenGL 2.0, Doom 3 would run in Linux but now Windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

It isn't so much that OpenGL emulates Direct3D features with the same hardware as much as OGL uses that same hardware for a different function. OpenGL doesn't use the shaders in the same way that Direct3D does. Comparitively, OpenGL can only "emulate" shaders (I use that term losely) up to version 1.4 while D3D is on 4.0 now with Vista. But using different technologies in OpenGL, they can produce similar effects.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

UT2003 worked better on Win95 than on WinXP, according to one of my gamer friends Those guys like making their games work on EVERYTHING, and it makes sense. If you cut chunks of the population out based on their OS being old or a minority, you lose potential sales.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RussianVodka View Post
    I recently learned that all the Shader Model mumbo jumbo is owned by MS. And I started thinking about it again. All the new games are being built "for DX10 and Shader Model 4". But with all these constant "improvements" done by Microsoft, and only for Windows, Linux games are still of the same quality (sure you can point out the lack of Linux games, but I can just as easily point out all the lack-luster games that have only recently been released for Windows. That's not the point.)

Take for example the Unreal engines. From what I understand they've been supporting Linux since Unreal 1. Supposedly Unreal Engine 3 was built to use DX10, Shader Model 4, and so on. Yet it runs on Linux in OpenGL. Why is this? Is it because OpenGL 2.0 is capable of everything that DX10 is (from what I understand, DX10 is just a heavily optimized version of DX9)?

Same thing with Id Software's games.

Is DX nothing but hype? And if it's so revolutionary, why is OpenGL also capable of doing all that stuff?
    I am far from an expert on this, but I thought id share my thoughts(they're more like questions though). So everyone's saying DX is so incredibly great. The might not be particularly wrong about that but it maybe is not in those cool effects they advertise with. I think its might be just a great tool/framework for programming games but the effects can in fact be produced by opengl just as well.

Well it was not really an answer to your question and im curious what others have to say about it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast