Page 3 of 111 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo Install the Latest Firefox in Ubuntu (Ultimate HowTo)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: HOWTO: Install Firefox 1.5 from mozilla.org

Thanks for this.

I do have a minor problem, though, and it concerns extensions. Every one I've installed so far has given me a "chrome registration" error, and yet seems to install and work just fine. Has anyone else had this problem? I did have the older version running when I first ran 1.5b2, though. Anyone think that could've been the cause? If so, is there anyway to correct it?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd
    Thanks for this.

I do have a minor problem, though, and it concerns extensions. Every one I've installed so far has given me a "chrome registration" error, and yet seems to install and work just fine. Has anyone else had this problem? I did have the older version running when I first ran 1.5b2, though. Anyone think that could've been the cause? If so, is there anyway to correct it?

I'm practically sure you have the AdBlock plugin, and that's what's causing your troubles. Try uninstalling it. Worked for me to solve this, though I had to restart Firefox twice

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ivhassel
    I'm practically sure you have the AdBlock plugin, and that's what's causing your troubles. Try uninstalling it. Worked for me to solve this, though I had to restart Firefox twice
    Hi,

I just installed Mozilla Firefox 1.5 and I had the same problem as Ivhassel the first time I started FF 1.5 up and I positively don't have adblock installed.

However, It was just the first time I started up and gone now...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by Ivhassel
    I'm practically sure you have the AdBlock plugin, and that's what's causing your troubles.
    Unfortunately, no... I don't have AdBlock installed.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank you for such a helpful guide. I cannot believe how much faster the Beta version is compared to the Ubuntu build. The only problems I experienced when I installed the Beta version was that I had to reset my preferences and reinstall all of my extensions. I loaded in Fasterfox and now my Firefox blows Opera and Epiphany out of the water!

Beans

I'm getting an error:

Code:
    /opt/firefox/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wellery
    I'm getting an error:

Code:
    /opt/firefox/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Ignore. It's fixed now. I just had to install the libstdc++5 package.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Holy. Friggin. Crud monkeys... Beta 2 is soooo fast!! I *LOVE* it

I too had an error pop up about the chrome registry.. can't remember what it said though. I didn't have my old bookmarks in beta 2 even after copting bookmarks.html from the old .mozilla directory. So I just moved my old .mozilla directory back to where it was (~/.mozilla) and opened beta 2.. the error popped up again but it seems fine now. I also looked it .mozilla and it looks like it created a separate chrome profile for itsself (or whatever it's called, 7dblah.default)... as long as it's working I'm happy, and I don't think I'll be going back to the default/stable firefox any time soon

The forms need some prettying up though - http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=21812
    www.bsodcomic.com
    "Because life looks better in .jpg"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by fishfork
    How to do it without messing up your system and confusing the package manager (hopefully!)

The Howto is on the wiki at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirefoxNewVersion. Comments here please.
    Great 'How to' ... Thanks! But my question is this: Why is the Ubuntu build of Firefox so slow??? This could be bad news for someone trying out Ubuntu for the first time since browsing the web is most likely one of the first things they'd try ... right? It takes almost FOREVER to load and everything about it feels sluggish yet the exact same version from Mozilla makes a world of speed difference.

I'm currently using ver. 1.0.7 from Mozilla and it works great. I tried ver. 1.5 beta and it's even better and I'd use it right now if more of my favorite extensions worked ... Thus, I wait.

Beans

Ubuntu 5.10, FF 1.5b2 - unable to use "HELP->Check for updates..." menu... Am I alone?

Page 3 of 111 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast